Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2011, 05:25 AM   #3391
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Jor-El is the head of the House of El and had a seat on the Kryptonian Council. The head of the house seems to have a seat on the Council. I've always found it interesting that the Council had Jor-El prosecute Zod, Non, and Ursa though at their trial.
I actually like the way it was done in the Bruce Timm show: Jor-El himself wasn't on the Council, but his father-in-law was, which led to family politics messing with things.

That, and Brainiac being the computer that ran Kryptonian Civilization (and doomed them by lying about Jor-El's claims about the planet exploding).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 05:35 AM   #3392
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 05:39 AM   #3393
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

What they don't tell you is that Jor-El wrote a series of books about sparkling vampires before discovering Krypton was going to explode.
Old October 6 2011, 06:00 AM   #3394
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Besides, in the first movie I think Jor-El was a politician before he was a scientist, since he was on the main Kryptonian council and sentencing Phantom Zone criminals to justice.
With Crowe, he probably had some fisticuffs thrown in to his scripts. JUST what everyone loves...ACTION!
I really don't mean this as a personal attack, but why do you seem so bitter about every. little. thing. about this movie? I mean, I'm not saying you can't have any negative opinions, and for all we know it may indeed end up like crap. Personally, I'm skeptical about Snyder. But all that being said, come on...
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:25 AM   #3395
Captain Mike
Commodore

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Besides, in the first movie I think Jor-El was a politician before he was a scientist, since he was on the main Kryptonian council and sentencing Phantom Zone criminals to justice.
With Crowe, he probably had some fisticuffs thrown in to his scripts. JUST what everyone loves...ACTION!
I really don't mean this as a personal attack, but why do you seem so bitter about every. little. thing. about this movie? I mean, I'm not saying you can't have any negative opinions, and for all we know it may indeed end up like crap. Personally, I'm skeptical about Snyder. But all that being said, come on...
Because in this "new" age of reboots or "reimaginings", I simply don't like what I have seen...I just don't understand, other than reading some posts on here, that people nowadays don't get what the concept of SuperMAN is really about.
Old October 6 2011, 06:34 AM   #3396
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ How can you tell that the "Man of Steel" production team doesn't understand what Superman is all about from out of context set photos though?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:37 AM   #3397
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Captain Mike brings up a good point, is it SUPERman, superMAN, or SUPERMAN? And is it CLARK or clark?

Based on the spy photo's I think the real answer is that it's LOIS lane.
Old October 6 2011, 10:23 AM   #3398
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

Superheroes are built upon the "old-fashioned" concept of people with extraordinary abilities using those abilities to help people. This is just to "naive" for our modern cynical world. "I must be suspicious of anyone claiming to be good, so I don't get burned!". That's why we can't get a decent kid-friendly super-hero film---the "cool" people won't allow it.
Old October 6 2011, 11:22 AM   #3399
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?

Jor-El is just part of the liberal conspiracy - he only wants you to believe that Krypton is going to blow up because they wants to tax businesses as part of their social engineering and attempts to restrict our freedoms. Many legitimate scientists have shown that his models are wrong and that the changes that we see are simply a natural event that we see every few thousand years.

Bottom line - it's a scam as explained on Kryptofox news by OREIL.-LY
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 11:23 AM   #3400
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Captain Mike brings up a good point, is it SUPERman, superMAN, or SUPERMAN? And is it CLARK or clark?

Based on the spy photo's I think the real answer is that it's LOIS lane.

I think it's SuPeRman.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 12:01 PM   #3401
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Jor-El is just part of the liberal conspiracy - he only wants you to believe that Krypton is going to blow up because they wants to tax businesses as part of their social engineering and attempts to restrict our freedoms. Many legitimate scientists have shown that his models are wrong and that the changes that we see are simply a natural event that we see every few thousand years.

Bottom line - it's a scam as explained on Kryptofox news by OREIL.-LY
Old October 6 2011, 01:04 PM   #3402
O'Dib
Commodore

JMS made Krypton assploding into an assault by a rival planet in that solar system. Their ages-old war supposedly also explained why neither ever developed enough to expand beyond the system. I forget how Jor-el tried to save the day there. I think he just saw the end coming, and developed the inter-stellar tech in time to save just his son.

I always wanted the red sun to be an artificially brought about expansion that, let's say, the Guardians of the Universe effected eons ago as a last-ditch effort to ground Kryptonians, 'cause they had started pretty much single-handedly conquering civilizations circling yellow stars. Consider, their powers under a yellow sun make sense only if they had evolved on their own planet to thrive in that environment.

Let's say Jor-el figured out that whatever buffers were keeping the sun from expanding even further and swallowing Krypton were about to fail, brought it up with the occupying force, and got kicked off the puppet council for his subversive theories.
Old October 6 2011, 01:14 PM   #3403
N-121973
Commander

Well I wonder what you think of these photos from Superman Homepage of Clark apparently set in Alaska.
http://s323579992.onlinehome.us/news.php?readmore=10375
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 01:39 PM   #3404
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Yep that's the rumour. Bearded Clark looks awesome...here's another link...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=82987

Also they're filming currently in Ucelet, British Columbia which is on Vancouver, Island. The link says 'Vancouver Set', not quite.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 02:21 PM   #3405
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Python Trek wrote: View Post
Superheroes are built upon the "old-fashioned" concept of people with extraordinary abilities using those abilities to help people. This is just to "naive" for our modern cynical world. "I must be suspicious of anyone claiming to be good, so I don't get burned!". That's why we can't get a decent kid-friendly super-hero film---the "cool" people won't allow it.
Oh, it's always a conspiracy against all that's good and noble - hmm? Fabricating "poor oppressed us" nonsense doesn't make it so.

Studios make films in order to make money. Popular narrative art succeeds by appealing to people's tastes and values. If one is bitter, one can plug in any characterization of people and the world we live in that one chooses so as to have the equation of self-pity balance out.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote