RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,888
Posts: 5,329,934
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 465
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 6 2011, 05:25 AM   #3391
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Jor-El is the head of the House of El and had a seat on the Kryptonian Council. The head of the house seems to have a seat on the Council. I've always found it interesting that the Council had Jor-El prosecute Zod, Non, and Ursa though at their trial.
I actually like the way it was done in the Bruce Timm show: Jor-El himself wasn't on the Council, but his father-in-law was, which led to family politics messing with things.

That, and Brainiac being the computer that ran Kryptonian Civilization (and doomed them by lying about Jor-El's claims about the planet exploding).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 05:35 AM   #3392
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?
__________________

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 05:39 AM   #3393
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

What they don't tell you is that Jor-El wrote a series of books about sparkling vampires before discovering Krypton was going to explode.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:00 AM   #3394
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Besides, in the first movie I think Jor-El was a politician before he was a scientist, since he was on the main Kryptonian council and sentencing Phantom Zone criminals to justice.
With Crowe, he probably had some fisticuffs thrown in to his scripts. JUST what everyone loves...ACTION!
I really don't mean this as a personal attack, but why do you seem so bitter about every. little. thing. about this movie? I mean, I'm not saying you can't have any negative opinions, and for all we know it may indeed end up like crap. Personally, I'm skeptical about Snyder. But all that being said, come on...
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:25 AM   #3395
Captain Mike
Commodore
 
Captain Mike's Avatar
 
Location: Warren, Pa.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Besides, in the first movie I think Jor-El was a politician before he was a scientist, since he was on the main Kryptonian council and sentencing Phantom Zone criminals to justice.
With Crowe, he probably had some fisticuffs thrown in to his scripts. JUST what everyone loves...ACTION!
I really don't mean this as a personal attack, but why do you seem so bitter about every. little. thing. about this movie? I mean, I'm not saying you can't have any negative opinions, and for all we know it may indeed end up like crap. Personally, I'm skeptical about Snyder. But all that being said, come on...
Because in this "new" age of reboots or "reimaginings", I simply don't like what I have seen...I just don't understand, other than reading some posts on here, that people nowadays don't get what the concept of SuperMAN is really about.
__________________
["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash. ~~~~Garland Greene- "Con Air"
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:34 AM   #3396
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^ How can you tell that the "Man of Steel" production team doesn't understand what Superman is all about from out of context set photos though?
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:37 AM   #3397
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Mike brings up a good point, is it SUPERman, superMAN, or SUPERMAN? And is it CLARK or clark?

Based on the spy photo's I think the real answer is that it's LOIS lane.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 10:23 AM   #3398
Python Trek
Commodore
 
Location: West Consin, People's Republic of America
View Python Trek's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Superheroes are built upon the "old-fashioned" concept of people with extraordinary abilities using those abilities to help people. This is just to "naive" for our modern cynical world. "I must be suspicious of anyone claiming to be good, so I don't get burned!". That's why we can't get a decent kid-friendly super-hero film---the "cool" people won't allow it.
__________________
Insert Siggie Here..........
Python Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 11:22 AM   #3399
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?

Jor-El is just part of the liberal conspiracy - he only wants you to believe that Krypton is going to blow up because they wants to tax businesses as part of their social engineering and attempts to restrict our freedoms. Many legitimate scientists have shown that his models are wrong and that the changes that we see are simply a natural event that we see every few thousand years.

Bottom line - it's a scam as explained on Kryptofox news by OREIL.-LY
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 11:23 AM   #3400
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

sojourner wrote: View Post
Captain Mike brings up a good point, is it SUPERman, superMAN, or SUPERMAN? And is it CLARK or clark?

Based on the spy photo's I think the real answer is that it's LOIS lane.

I think it's SuPeRman.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 12:01 PM   #3401
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?

Jor-El is just part of the liberal conspiracy - he only wants you to believe that Krypton is going to blow up because they wants to tax businesses as part of their social engineering and attempts to restrict our freedoms. Many legitimate scientists have shown that his models are wrong and that the changes that we see are simply a natural event that we see every few thousand years.

Bottom line - it's a scam as explained on Kryptofox news by OREIL.-LY
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 01:04 PM   #3402
O'Dib
Commodore
 
O'Dib's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Brody's still
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?
JMS made Krypton assploding into an assault by a rival planet in that solar system. Their ages-old war supposedly also explained why neither ever developed enough to expand beyond the system. I forget how Jor-el tried to save the day there. I think he just saw the end coming, and developed the inter-stellar tech in time to save just his son.

I always wanted the red sun to be an artificially brought about expansion that, let's say, the Guardians of the Universe effected eons ago as a last-ditch effort to ground Kryptonians, 'cause they had started pretty much single-handedly conquering civilizations circling yellow stars. Consider, their powers under a yellow sun make sense only if they had evolved on their own planet to thrive in that environment.

Let's say Jor-el figured out that whatever buffers were keeping the sun from expanding even further and swallowing Krypton were about to fail, brought it up with the occupying force, and got kicked off the puppet council for his subversive theories.
__________________
Ee'd plebnista, norkohn forkohn perfectunun
O'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 01:14 PM   #3403
N-121973
Commander
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Well I wonder what you think of these photos from Superman Homepage of Clark apparently set in Alaska.
http://s323579992.onlinehome.us/news.php?readmore=10375
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 01:39 PM   #3404
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^ Yep that's the rumour. Bearded Clark looks awesome...here's another link...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=82987

Also they're filming currently in Ucelet, British Columbia which is on Vancouver, Island. The link says 'Vancouver Set', not quite.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 02:21 PM   #3405
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Python Trek wrote: View Post
Superheroes are built upon the "old-fashioned" concept of people with extraordinary abilities using those abilities to help people. This is just to "naive" for our modern cynical world. "I must be suspicious of anyone claiming to be good, so I don't get burned!". That's why we can't get a decent kid-friendly super-hero film---the "cool" people won't allow it.
Oh, it's always a conspiracy against all that's good and noble - hmm? Fabricating "poor oppressed us" nonsense doesn't make it so.

Studios make films in order to make money. Popular narrative art succeeds by appealing to people's tastes and values. If one is bitter, one can plug in any characterization of people and the world we live in that one chooses so as to have the equation of self-pity balance out.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.