RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,723
Posts: 5,432,452
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 619
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 4 2011, 08:48 PM   #2986
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

You forgot frank and beans.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 09:21 PM   #2987
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
Here is a new pic..I really love this suit and that cape is very cool.

Very cool.

There's nothing "muted" or "grim" about that outfit. It's just a colder and less intense blue than most versions of the suit.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 09:31 PM   #2988
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
You forgot frank and beans.
Franks and beans!
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 09:55 PM   #2989
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Found on Bleeding Cool:

__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 10:01 PM   #2990
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

In the end, they came up just a bit too short.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 10:30 PM   #2991
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Found on Bleeding Cool:


Great!!!!!!!
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 10:39 PM   #2992
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Found on Bleeding Cool:

For the win!
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 12:14 AM   #2993
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
As for "is it's purpose really to stand out": Of course, it is. If it wasn't supposed to stand out, he'd wear something else.

This is a conclusion you've come to - possibly based on an explanation provided at some point somewhere in the history of the comic - but simply because the logic of it satisfies you doesn't make it so. It's not a fact, not even within the fictional continuity, which anyone has to accept as a premise and reason from.

It doesn't convince me one bit, for the reasons I explained before, and therefore doesn't matter.

Superman dresses in the costume that he does because the kids who created him wanted him to dress that way. There's no other real reason for it. The most likely explanation is simply that they were presenting him in four-color comic format, aiming the stories at youngsters, and wanted to take full advantage of the available palette.
In other words, they wanted him to stand out.

Any "in-story" rationale was constructed later. One is as good as another. The most plausible - even in its silliness, it makes the most sense - is that his costume had to be of Kryptonian origin for him to not wind up flouting his junk, as Joe Zhang puts it, every time he blocks an explosion with his body or something.
Again, that explains why the suit has to be made of these specific materials, but not why it's designed like that.

But that's just what makes the most sense to me. I buy it more than "he wants to stand out (okay, I don't buy that one at all)." You prefer the "look at me!" explanation. That's fine. Jumping from "this is what I prefer to believe" to "what the filmmakers are doing doesn't make sense/is wrong because they're not taking into account the character's reason for dressing that way" is a non-starter.
I hope you're not accusing me of that, because I think I made it clear in my posts that I was merely giving my personal opinion and not stating facts.

davejames wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Muted colors look grim, not inspiring. At least, I think so. And I like my Superman to be inspiring. Sure, he can be made to inspire through his actions in the new movie, but that won't be underlined by his costume. As far as I see it, the new movie's costume hampers Superman's purpose to inspire, and that's a big minus.
Spider-Man came across as a pretty damn inspiring character in the Raimi movies, and that blue was much darker than this-- and much darker than it often appeared in the comics as well. In fact Spidey's costume has probably gone through as many different shades of blue over the years as Superman's has.

The idea that people can ONLY be inspired by a superhero costume where every color is as bold and intense as can be just... makes no sense to me.
The part of my quote - which you've obviously overlooked - is bold now. I never said it was a requirement for the colors of the costume to be bold and bright in order to make the character inspiring.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy", while I can't speak for the other flags, and I'm not going to take the time to research your post, I can tell you definitely that the colors you have labeled as "Bright" for the flag of the United States are not the colors that are officially required for the flag when it is used by the U.S. federal government.

Scientific color matching requires properly calibrated equipment and careful control of many factors. The colors given at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of..._States#Colors derive from specifications approved by the General Services Administration, and you can see its reference chain there. I checked part of that chain and it appears to be valid. Besides the codes derived directly from the GSA-approved specification, the Pantone Approximations are particularly noteworthy, because the codes provided for them are from government sources and they are explicitly designed for display on the Internet.

In any case, when used by the U.S. federal government, the colors of the flag of the United States are supposed to be considerably more muted than the colors you label in your post as "Bright". I believe this undermines a large part of your argument.
You are right, I did brighten the colors up a bit. I wasn't actually trying to give an accurate sample of the official colors, I merely wanted to compare two versions, bright and bold with muted, and let everyone see for themselves which of these look more inspiring. If I was misleading, it was not on purpose, I assure you.

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Found on Bleeding Cool:

Hello, new av!
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:24 AM   #2994
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)



I get it. It's his super-motorcross suit! All he needs is a helmet.

How do ya like my concept art for the new Green Lantern suit? Should be right popular.

__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:29 AM   #2995
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Found on Bleeding Cool:
With my time machine...

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:31 AM   #2996
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^ Now that's awesome All this talk about Clark's suit everyone has been ignoring Faora. I think her costume is great.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:37 AM   #2997
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Just as an aside I find it interesting to see very similar looking actors in mo-cap suits in this new pic when we've seen them in The Avengers shoot so recently.

Those mo-cap guys get around.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:40 AM   #2998
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

We've seen shots of Michael Shannon in slow mo cap suits as well last month. Everyone's been distracted nitpicking the suit rather than discussing the more interesting things going on during the shoot.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:44 AM   #2999
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Just as an aside I find it interesting to see very similar looking actors in mo-cap suits in this new pic when we've seen them in The Avengers shoot so recently.

Those mo-cap guys get around.
I was going to make a thread about the use of mo-cap suits in movies nowadays. I was whether people were yay or nay about them.

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:45 AM   #3000
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Just as an aside I find it interesting to see very similar looking actors in mo-cap suits in this new pic when we've seen them in The Avengers shoot so recently.

Those mo-cap guys get around.
Dunno what that is, but I have a right sharp mohair suit.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.