RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,797
Posts: 5,325,798
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 459
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 25 2011, 03:25 AM   #2566
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
How come no one ever complains about the Flash who has an "endless sea" of red?
Because the Flash has a golden belt?
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 03:30 AM   #2567
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
How come no one ever complains about the Flash who has an "endless sea" of red?
Because the Flash has a golden belt?
As Superman apparently does in this movie. Your point?
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 03:33 AM   #2568
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Maybe it will be a very important plot point for him to acquire the red trunks.
I read the script. There is a key race-against-time sequence in which Superman fails involving Taco Bell, White Castle, and Kryptonite (and I heard a later revision deleted the kryptonite).

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I don't understand what is so hard about this. Superman has a readily identifiable and established look that doesn't need to be messed with and has worked very well for decades, granted with minor tweaking for each project. Yet in SR they gave Supes the pleather look and the wrong shade of red and now they're making him the blue rubber man. For me this is now one black eye for this production.
I don't understand this argument. Take a look at Batman. He has an established look in the comics. Yet in all of his movies (discounting the animated productions and, to some extent, the Adam West version), the costume very different. Even in the Nolan films, which you have previously claimed to enjoy, the costume is the furthest away from its comic counterpart than all the other adaptations. The deletion of the red trunks seems like such a minor thing when compared to the Nolan Bat-changes. It is one thing to dislike the change, but it seems a little melodramatic to call it at all a "black eye for this production."



Once you go black, you never go back!

There is no "wrong" shade of red...the suit has been redesigned so many times we're going to have to expect it to continue to do so.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 03:37 AM   #2569
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

RAMA wrote: View Post
There is no "wrong" shade of red...the suit has been redesigned so many times we're going to have to expect it to continue to do so.
Exactly so. Superman has been colored so many different ways over the past 75 years that there isn't an "official" shade to his costume.

I'm just thinking here, but could you imagine if they decided to go with the earliest Golden Age costume? I don't know if militant fans would rejoice or go even more berserk.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 03:41 AM   #2570
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
wait. so, an alien who can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes and lift a jumbo jet is believable...but wearing a cape under civilian clothes, that's where you draw the line?
I was joking.



But yes, I indeed draw the line somewhere there. Superman is alien and somehow manages to fly, have super strength, and heat vision. That's a given. That's the fantastic element.

But why should that have an influence on the realism of the world he interacts with? What is it with this silly "it's fiction, of course it's unrealistic" logic?

Example: Superman - The Movie. The helicopter falls of the building, and Superdude catches it with one hand. That he has the strength to do that, that is perfectly fine. But what is not okay? The way the helicopter "sits" in his hand. He grabs it by its landing skit, totally off balance. That's unrealistic. It should actually tilt. And the skit would probably bend by the sudden stress. Etc...

Now we have Superman Returns: added realism. Superman grabs the airplane by the edge of the wing. And the wing breaks off. He then stops the plane by pushing its nose, and the entire structure is compressed by the sudden impulse. And he can't keep the plane stable in that position, he can only let it fall down (not like in the Donner movie: just grab it somewhere and it will be stable). That's realistic.

Also when a person falls 200 meters and he just stops the fall by catching them. It would kill them. I don't like that. Instead they should make an effort to let Superman catch and slow them down smoothly.

Or let's take Superman 4. There's one scene where Nuclear Man kidnaps a girl and takes her to the moon. And she fucking can breath. I mean what the hell where they smoking? I know it's fiction, but this is seriously stupid.


And in a way, the fact that his cape appears out of nowhere does bother me. The whole Clark Kent - Superman transition is an integral part of the story. The fact that nobody recognizes him just because he wears glasses is already hard to swallow. But where the fuck is he hiding his cape? And where is he hiding his normal clothes?

Again, Superman Returns made an effort to add realism: one scene showed how he simply strips his normal cloths off in an elevator shaft. I really liked that. But the cape still came totally out of nowhere.


I hope you get what I mean.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 03:52 AM   #2571
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I seem to recall John Byrne addressed the cape issue once by showing how Superman was able to fold it up in an extremely small package and stow it but I cannot for the life of me remember when that was.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 04:07 AM   #2572
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

John Byrne also added the tactile telekinesis thing.
__________________

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 04:56 AM   #2573
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
In the comics, isn't Bat's cape designed to give off more of the "creature of the night" look?
It's more intimidating than just swinging in out of the night suddenly, masked, in black body armor with spikes on your gloves?

They oughta claim that the cape has some kind of advanced stealth qualities that confuse the aim of dudes firing guns at close range.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 06:18 AM   #2574
Bob Karo
Captain
 
Bob Karo's Avatar
 
Location: South Louisiana
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
In the comics, isn't Bat's cape designed to give off more of the "creature of the night" look?
It's more intimidating than just swinging in out of the night suddenly, masked, in black body armor with spikes on your gloves?

They oughta claim that the cape has some kind of advanced stealth qualities that confuse the aim of dudes firing guns at close range.

You'd be amazed at how much breaking up the human silouette does to screw with a shooter's aim.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 06:57 AM   #2575
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
wait. so, an alien who can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes and lift a jumbo jet is believable...but wearing a cape under civilian clothes, that's where you draw the line?
I was joking.
thought you might be but i wasn't sure.
__________________
formerly known as Praetor_Shinzon.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 08:34 AM   #2576
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I kinda figured the cape was in Clark's brief case. He could quickly dispose of his clothes in an alley or something or put them in the brief case.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 11:35 AM   #2577
O'Dib
Commodore
 
O'Dib's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Brody's still
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I don't see why his suit shouldn't morph from street clothes into the uniform and vice versa, or teleport onto him, or is actually nanites that come out of his watch, or is pieces of armor that fly from the fortress to bond to him...
__________________
Ee'd plebnista, norkohn forkohn perfectunun
O'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 11:54 AM   #2578
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
In the comics, isn't Bat's cape designed to give off more of the "creature of the night" look?
It's more intimidating than just swinging in out of the night suddenly, masked, in black body armor with spikes on your gloves?

They oughta claim that the cape has some kind of advanced stealth qualities that confuse the aim of dudes firing guns at close range.
A while back, some artist got into trouble for DC as he was selling painting of Batman. However his Batman was naked expect for his cowl, boots and gloves. Think about how scary that would be - you are mugging some guy in an alley and then some naked hooded guy with a hard-on comes rushing towards you!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 12:46 PM   #2579
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
How come no one ever complains about the Flash who has an "endless sea" of red?
Because the Flash has a golden belt?
As Superman apparently does in this movie. Your point?
Sorry, but I didn't see any sort of belt in the pics posted.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 01:04 PM   #2580
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

RAMA wrote: View Post
I never mentioned it but I'm liking the trunkless super suit...looks more modern and sleeker.
I hate the way people are saying it looks more 'modern' as a positive. Why do we need it to look more 'modern'? Maybe Superman should have a faux hawk as well. That's modern, right?

I personally believe the Superman outfit should be timeless, trunks or no trunks.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.