Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 24 2011, 08:02 PM   #2551
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
I think very few superhero costumes survive the translation from page to screen without becoming some degree of ridiculous. Iron Man has probably worked best, because his costume is a technological battle suit, and the bright colors fit Tony's personality as depicted in the film. Cap's WWII suit is just this side of believable because they grounded it so thoroughly in something that looked like it might be a commando uniform of that era. The modern-day Avengers variant is less successful in that respect. Thor is...Thor. If you're buying that Asgard and it's inhabitants exist, then I guess they can wear whatever the hell they want, however chuckle-worthy.

Superman and Batman and Spidey are just silly in person. Why does Batman have a cape? I know, he uses it as a glider occasionally, but isn't it a hindrance most of the time? Doesn't the cowl obstruct his hearing and peripheral vision? Doesn't it get hot? Don't the pointy ears reduce his head clearance in tight situations?

Supes is invulnerable and super-everything, so I guess wearing a cape won't hurt him, but then you wonder why he wears it at all. Are the cape and underpants and red booties some sort of Gaga-esque affectation?

Spidey's formfitting bodysuit makes some sense, but the color and design certainly works against stealth. Also, as was brought up elsewhere, the gloves and boots would seem to be an impediment to his sticktoititveness.
I agree. Superhero costumes are impractical as depicted. But I wouldn't want it any other way. Sure a cape on a superhero crime fighter is a disaster waiting to happen...if this were reality...but since it isn't reality we can just throw practicality out the window and enjoy the fantasy cape, cowl and all.
Old August 24 2011, 08:13 PM   #2552
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

They're impractical because comic books are intended to be a form of escapism, not realism. It hasn't been until the last few decades that attempts at realism, or "explaining" things has seeped into the various companies books. Back in the day it was all about telling the story and entertaining your readership.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 08:21 PM   #2553
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Some of the older storytelling is naive and doesn't translate well to other media now. In what universe does an apparently sole proprietorship, small aircraft company in SoCal design, prototype, build and test an advanced robotic fighter plane under Pentagon contract - the approval of which hinges on a single dog-and-pony show? If Ferris had come up with a single worthwhile design innovation somewhere along the way they would have wound up subcontracted to Lockheed-Martin or Boeing, and then the big guys would have eaten their lunch.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 08:40 PM   #2554
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Anyone notice that the hair seems to be a bit shorter?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 08:42 PM   #2555
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

One would hope. I can't tell that it's shorter than in the first official picture - these are too low-rez - but it's shorter than what he was sporting in public a couple of weeks ago.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 08:48 PM   #2556
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Wasn't the longer hair for 'younger' Clark sequences?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 10:31 PM   #2557
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Space Therapist wrote: View Post

I agree. Superhero costumes are impractical as depicted. But I wouldn't want it any other way. Sure a cape on a superhero crime fighter is a disaster waiting to happen...if this were reality...but since it isn't reality we can just throw practicality out the window and enjoy the fantasy cape, cowl and all.
Agreed - in for a penny/in for a pound and all that.
Old August 24 2011, 10:46 PM   #2558
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Captain Mike wrote: View Post
I just don't understand some peoples opinion that the "TRUNKS" are fucking underwear.
People think so because the trunks look like underwear.

Okay, we'll call them Speedos. Better?
Deja vu. This has happened before, right?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 10:52 PM   #2559
Skywalker
Admiral

I love the cape and the huge shield, and I'm glad that the goofy trunks are gone. I wish the belt were more of a gold color (though it very well could be, and it just didn't register well in the photo), but other than that I like this new costume a lot.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 10:55 PM   #2560
Gojira
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I love the cape and the huge shield, and I'm glad that the goofy trunks are gone. I wish the belt were more of a gold color (though it very well could be, and it just didn't register well in the photo), but other than that I like this new costume a lot.
It is funny how people get used to certain things. Imagine the uproar if Superman had always been without the red trunks then suddenly in this movie they added the red trunks! People would still complain.
Old August 24 2011, 11:02 PM   #2561
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Where does he actually hide the cape? That's unrealistic, so let's please also ditch the cape, okay?
Old August 25 2011, 12:35 AM   #2562
Skywalker
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Where does he actually hide the cape? That's unrealistic, so let's please also ditch the cape, okay?
In this movie, the cape is made of an organic material with shapeshifting properties. When Superman is in his Clark Kent guise, the cape wraps itself around him and morphs into contemporary Earth clothing.

Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 01:07 AM   #2563
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

wait. so, an alien who can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes and lift a jumbo jet is believable...but wearing a cape under civilian clothes, that's where you draw the line?
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 02:34 AM   #2564
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I never mentioned it but I'm liking the trunkless super suit...looks more modern and sleeker.

RAMA
Old August 25 2011, 02:59 AM   #2565
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Maybe it will be a very important plot point for him to acquire the red trunks.
I read the script. There is a key race-against-time sequence in which Superman fails involving Taco Bell, White Castle, and Kryptonite (and I heard a later revision deleted the kryptonite).

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I don't understand what is so hard about this. Superman has a readily identifiable and established look that doesn't need to be messed with and has worked very well for decades, granted with minor tweaking for each project. Yet in SR they gave Supes the pleather look and the wrong shade of red and now they're making him the blue rubber man. For me this is now one black eye for this production.
I don't understand this argument. Take a look at Batman. He has an established look in the comics. Yet in all of his movies (discounting the animated productions and, to some extent, the Adam West version), the costume very different. Even in the Nolan films, which you have previously claimed to enjoy, the costume is the furthest away from its comic counterpart than all the other adaptations. The deletion of the red trunks seems like such a minor thing when compared to the Nolan Bat-changes. It is one thing to dislike the change, but it seems a little melodramatic to call it at all a "black eye for this production."

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I was one of those who was very happy that Batman went all black.
Once you go black, you never go back!

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
haha nice long johns Superman!

it looks pretty stupid just being an endless sea of blue. maybe he should considering wearing something a different color, to break up all that blue. I'm thinking maybe some trunks, or shorts or something.
How come no one ever complains about the Flash who has an "endless sea" of red?

Timby wrote: View Post
How in God's name does a man wearing trunks equal "all-out boy scout" and standing up for all that is good?
I know, right? The other day, I wore my trunks outside to see the children off to their first day of school. Granted, I didn't wear anything else, but if it is "all-out boy scout", how come the police had issues with it?

davejames wrote: View Post
can anyone seriously imagine Hugh Jackman running around with those in 2011, or in the kind of simple tights Reeve did?
I'm sure you're average woman could and would easily imagine that.

Dennis wrote: View Post
I think that's a somewhat more plausible justification for the cowl than for the cape.
In the comics, isn't Bat's cape designed to give off more of the "creature of the night" look?