RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,879
Posts: 5,329,263
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 653
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 13 2011, 04:18 AM   #2206
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
The costume change, the change of Smallville crows, Perry white is not, white. It seems they are just making changes just for the sake of changing things. This is why it reminds me of JJ. Trek. I love the casting, I love the idea of a reboot and I love the idea of getting away from the Donnerverse, I love Nolan and I love Snyder, I'm just saying I hope this doesnt end up with a lot of cool nods to the fans and to the mythos, but not a lot of substance. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it does seem clear that they want to separate themselves from the past Superman. Whether this is good or not I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they are trying to make him different. I just hope they don't they don't screw it up.
The Smallville Crows???? Is that from Smallville or something? Because in 40+ years of reading Superman comics, I've never heard of that. And why name a team after a pest? Especially in farm country!!!!!

Will a change in skin color alter his character? As long as Perry is gruff, tough and yells at Kent, Olsen and Lane I dont care what color his skin is.

Of course they want to dp something different. Its not 1938, 1959, 1978 or 1986 anymore.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 04:37 AM   #2207
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I think it's far too soon to think this will be anything like JJ's Trek. The film is still two years away.

That said if by some chance it does become something like JJ's Trek then I will be bitterly disappointed.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 07:04 AM   #2208
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
The costume change, the change of Smallville crows [wha?], Perry white is not, white. It seems they are just making changes just for the sake of changing things.
And Lana Lang was not supposed to be half chinese (Smallville) and Pete Ross was not supposed to be black (Smallville) and Superman was not supposed to be one-quarter Japanese (Lois and Clarke) and Perry White was not supposed to be skinny (the Reeve movies). Who. Fucking. Cares.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 07:45 AM   #2209
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Changing something just because you can is stupid, if there is a change it should be for a reason.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 08:37 AM   #2210
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^ Who says there isn't a reason? There is a very clear and distinct effort on this production to separate it from other depictions of the Superman mythos. That doesn't mean though that the casting or story is different just because they "want to change things".
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 01:37 PM   #2211
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Smallville Crows???? Is that from Smallville or something? Because in 40+ years of reading Superman comics, I've never heard of that. And why name a team after a pest? Especially in farm country!!!!!

I'll echo this - I've read a *lot* of Superman comics and if the Smallville crows are a big part of mythos it's passed me by...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 02:39 PM   #2212
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Stories are adapted to reflect contemporary times. If Man Of Steel were being done as a period piece set in the '30s, '40s or '50s then you would pretty much have to have a caucasian Perry White and Lana Lang and the rest because it just wouldn't be credible otherwise. But being set in the world of today then I don't see it as an issue. And I'm someone often seen as a purist.

For me what's more important in regard to Superman and his world/universe is character, overall sensibility and story. I could nitpick to death Nolan's take on Batman, but it really would be trivial because otherwise Nolan is doing a fantastic job with a live-action version of Batman. I could nitpick elements of the current approach to Bond in Casino Royale and Quantum Of Solace, but trivial nitpicks aside I think the feel of this Bond is much like the best of the original source materiel.

Presently I'm still undecided about Man Of Steel simply because i haven't seen enough for me to get a real sense of it. I have to wait-and-see. Certainly being unhappy with elements of what we've seen of the new costume isn't enough to condemn the film yet. I was unhappy when I saw the first images of Batman's new ride in Batman Begins...and then found myself really liking it when I saw it in action. I was leery of Daniel Craig's Bond being blond...until I saw him onscreen and felt "to hell with it, he nails the character."
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?

Last edited by Warped9; August 13 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 03:11 PM   #2213
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

T
Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
Changing something just because you can is stupid, if there is a change it should be for a reason.
No.

There's always a reason, the fact that they don't stop to explain it and seek approval every time they release a photo notwithstanding.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 03:33 PM   #2214
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Smallville Crows???? Is that from Smallville or something? Because in 40+ years of reading Superman comics, I've never heard of that. And why name a team after a pest? Especially in farm country!!!!!

I'll echo this - I've read a *lot* of Superman comics and if the Smallville crows are a big part of mythos it's passed me by...
Naming a team after something perceived as "bad" is nothing new. I mean, how many teams are there that have some variation of the name "devil"? Besides, Smallville is a farming community which probably grows corn. Crows would be an apt name for the high school mascot. I guess they could have called themselves the Cornjerkers instead.

I don't know about the comics, but the Crow mascot was first used onscreen in Smallville. If anything, it seems as if Man of Steel is, at least, using that as a cue from (and/or possible subtle reference to) the earlier show.

Besides, I don't think the name of the football team is really all that big of a deal in this movie, unless there is a lot of misdirection and the film is really a sports flick.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 03:43 PM   #2215
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

It's also slightly odd that someone complaining about a costume change as a problem has an avatar of Superman in an altered costume.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 03:59 PM   #2216
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Smallville Crows???? Is that from Smallville or something? Because in 40+ years of reading Superman comics, I've never heard of that. And why name a team after a pest? Especially in farm country!!!!!

I'll echo this - I've read a *lot* of Superman comics and if the Smallville crows are a big part of mythos it's passed me by...
Naming a team after something perceived as "bad" is nothing new. I mean, how many teams are there that have some variation of the name "devil"? Besides, Smallville is a farming community which probably grows corn. Crows would be an apt name for the high school mascot. I guess they could have called themselves the Cornjerkers instead.

I don't know about the comics, but the Crow mascot was first used onscreen in Smallville. If anything, it seems as if Man of Steel is, at least, using that as a cue from (and/or possible subtle reference to) the earlier show.

Besides, I don't think the name of the football team is really all that big of a deal in this movie, unless there is a lot of misdirection and the film is really a sports flick.
I think in MOS, the Smallville team is being called the Spartans. And thats why Hillbilly Rage was complaining. Naming your team after a threat to your communities livelyhood is a bit odd to me.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 05:32 PM   #2217
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hell, considering this is Zack Snyder we're talking about, I would be MORE than happy to settle for something as brainlessly fun and entertaining as JJ's Star Trek.

I'll take that over another flashy but lifeless Sucker Punch any day.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 05:36 PM   #2218
O'Dib
Commodore
 
O'Dib's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Brody's still
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I think in MOS, the Smallville team is being called the Spartans. And thats why Hillbilly Rage was complaining. Naming your team after a threat to your communities livelyhood is a bit odd to me.
Not at all. In a farming community, a team would use the name Crows to indicate they're a threat to be taken seriously. Spartans, of course, is a gimmicky tribute to 300. Either way, who cares.
__________________
Ee'd plebnista, norkohn forkohn perfectunun
O'Dib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 05:44 PM   #2219
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

O'Dib wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I think in MOS, the Smallville team is being called the Spartans. And thats why Hillbilly Rage was complaining. Naming your team after a threat to your communities livelyhood is a bit odd to me.
Not at all. In a farming community, a team would use the name Crows to indicate they're a threat to be taken seriously. Spartans, of course, is a gimmicky tribute to 300. Either way, who cares.
Makes sense I guess. I would go with something more intimidating.

Though since my University's team is the Spartans, I'll say GO SPARTANS!!!!
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 05:48 PM   #2220
O'Dib
Commodore
 
O'Dib's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Brody's still
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Crows is a little too gothy and death-worshipy. They were writing the show for emo teens, after all.
__________________
Ee'd plebnista, norkohn forkohn perfectunun
O'Dib is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.