RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,309
Posts: 5,352,202
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 596
Newest member: DaxFan74205

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 3 2011, 07:32 PM   #1951
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
I mean, Clarke as the Kingpin was one of the things which went wrong that movie? Really?
He was one of the few RIGHT choices they made with that movie.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:21 PM   #1952
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

No one really seemed to get my point about the casting of Perry White.
It's stunt casting. It's blantant 'shock value' casting meant to get outlets that might not talk up the movie, to talk about it.

He's a great actor, no need to even discuss.
I think it's just a very blantant and intentional way to get outlets talking and it feels cheap imo.

Why cast a dominant actor like Laurence Fishburne with gravitas and screen presence in a role not likely to have 15min of screen time when you could cast him as something extraordinary?
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:23 PM   #1953
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
No one really seemed to get my point about the casting of Perry White.
It's stunt casting. It's blantant 'shock value' casting meant to get outlets that might not talk up the movie, to talk about it.

He's a great actor, no need to even discuss.
I think it's just a very blantant and intentional way to get outlets talking and it feels cheap imo.

Why cast a dominant actor like Laurence Fishburne with gravitas and screen presence in a role not likely to have 15min of screen time when you could cast him as something extraordinary?
Because a character like Perry White needs someone with gravitas and screen presence?
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:24 PM   #1954
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^^^^
Again, not the issue.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:25 PM   #1955
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^
Again, not the issue.
Why did you ask the question if it's not an issue?
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:27 PM   #1956
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

The point I'm raising is it's stunt casting.
For those who'd like minorities in more leading roles all they did was cast LF into a minor support role with limited screen time.

I agree, his talents can do more than that but instead he's being given a small part and all anyone can do is praise Hollywood for being daring, bold and thinking outside the box. When, as I see it, they are pulling a stunt at the expense of a great minority talent.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:30 PM   #1957
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
No one really seemed to get my point about the casting of Perry White.
It's stunt casting. It's blantant[sic] 'shock value' casting meant to get outlets that might not talk up the movie, to talk about it.
You're wrong, since there's nothing at all shocking about it in 2011.

The only folks who are talking it up as extraordinary are the more hidebound posters at various dedicated fan sites, and they're already talking up the movie.

Mainstream sites are generally simply reporting it as routine casting news, only as interesting as they think either Fishburne's or the movie's publicity profile is right now.

As an example, the entirety of Deadline's report on this:

Laurence Fishburne has landed the role of Daily Planet editor Perry White in Warner Bros and Legendary's Man of Steel, which Zack Snyder is directing ahead of a June 2013 release. Fishburne joins a cast that includes Henry Cavill as Superman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe and Christopher Meloni. The Oscar-nominee recently opted not to renew his contract to continue on CBS' CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
They give more space to most TV casting than they did this - understandable, since it's a supporting role in a movie just starting production. The only two things they find notable here are that Fishburne hasn't renewed his CSI contract and that he's an Oscar nominee.

It ain't like this is, you know, Black Spidey or something.

It's far more likely that Fishburne was cast simply because Snyder likes him for the part. Or do you actually imagine that it was something like "oh, we need some free publicity for three-tenths of a second - let's cast a black guy in the movie! The whole world will freak out - they know which one Perry White is, right?"

You're looking through the wrong end of the telescope, and not really making much of a point at all.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; August 3 2011 at 08:42 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:30 PM   #1958
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
No one really seemed to get my point about the casting of Perry White.
It's stunt casting. It's blantant 'shock value' casting meant to get outlets that might not talk up the movie, to talk about it.

He's a great actor, no need to even discuss.
I think it's just a very blantant and intentional way to get outlets talking and it feels cheap imo.

Why cast a dominant actor like Laurence Fishburne with gravitas and screen presence in a role not likely to have 15min of screen time when you could cast him as something extraordinary?
Because a character like Perry White needs someone with gravitas and screen presence?
Yeah, by that logic, why cast A-list actors like Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and Julia Ormond as Superman's soon-to-be killed-off parents?

Last edited by the G-man; August 3 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: by
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:35 PM   #1959
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

the G-man wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
No one really seemed to get my point about the casting of Perry White.
It's stunt casting. It's blantant 'shock value' casting meant to get outlets that might not talk up the movie, to talk about it.

He's a great actor, no need to even discuss.
I think it's just a very blantant and intentional way to get outlets talking and it feels cheap imo.

Why cast a dominant actor like Laurence Fishburne with gravitas and screen presence in a role not likely to have 15min of screen time when you could cast him as something extraordinary?
Because a character like Perry White needs someone with gravitas and screen presence?
Yeah, but that logic, why cast A-list actors like Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and Julia Ormond as Superman's soon-to-be killed-off parents?
I viewed that as a type of homage to when Marlon Brando was Jor-El myself.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:52 PM   #1960
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Why cast SIR Micheal Caine as a butler?
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:54 PM   #1961
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Why cast SIR Micheal Caine as a butler?
Well, I'm sure it's not because he's a good actor that they're lucky to get. Clearly because it's SHOCKING!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 08:57 PM   #1962
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I viewed that as a type of homage to when Marlon Brando was Jor-El myself.
Or, more likely, they want to fill the cast with well-known actors.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 09:01 PM   #1963
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Because a character like Perry White needs someone with gravitas and screen presence?
Yeah, but that logic, why cast A-list actors like Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and Julia Ormond as Superman's soon-to-be killed-off parents?
I viewed that as a type of homage to when Marlon Brando was Jor-El myself.

Do you think Costner, Crowe, Ormond and Lane are likely to get much more screen time than Fishburne? Do you think Fish will get less screen time than the likes of Michael Caine, Gary Oldman or Morgan Freeman in the Batman series? They're just casting the best actors available!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 09:03 PM   #1964
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Why cast SIR Micheal Caine as a butler?
Well, I'm sure it's not because he's a good actor that they're lucky to get. Clearly because it's SHOCKING!
You know that's not even remotely the same thing as what I was saying.

As for Caine, why not? He's clearly of the age to play a butler for Bruce Wayne. Not like anyone is knocking down Caine for leading roles. The fact he is well known and carries a cetain weight is just gravy.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 09:06 PM   #1965
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
I mean, Clarke as the Kingpin was one of the things which went wrong that movie? Really?
He was one of the few RIGHT choices they made with that movie.
I liked Daredevil.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.