Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2011, 05:39 AM   #1831
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

It was certainly not "savvy."
Old July 23 2011, 05:47 AM   #1832
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Jetfire wrote: View Post
I think this is what did Superman Returns in...Released June 28th 2006...really nothing before. http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tic...cfm?m=6&y=2006
SR did pretty good business, nearly 400 million worldwide - and that, of course, is with no "3D premium." So it's not like competition somehow tanked the film. Problem was that it was much more expensive than most of these movies.
Superman Returns did have a "3D premium" in the form of IMAX 3D. However, I don't know how much that contributed to the overall box office performance. Not enough, obviously.
Old July 23 2011, 08:38 AM   #1833
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Jetfire wrote: View Post

But the following week, Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tic...cfm?m=7&y=2006
It was painful to see Singer

Saw that once before. Its like reality just hit him in the face that his movie wasn't liked majorly by anyone.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:32 AM   #1834
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
I can't tell if he's completely and utterly distraught over his movie getting clobbered by Johnny Depp, or if he's just drunk. And I like Singer.
From everything I've seen of him in interviews and behind the scenes footage, Singer's very highly strung and socially awkward as a matter of course. The documentary special features on the making of Superman Returns show that to an unusually clear extent.
Singer is a very high strung individual and usually comes off as very scatterbrained. He's notorious for coming up with new ideas during the filmmaking process which has frustrated many of his colleagues.

That's why you have a deleted scene that cost $10 million and Singer completely changing the opening sequence and re-structuring the first act of Superman Returns at the last minute. As John Ottman was once paraphrased for saying, after a while you just begin to expect that at any minute Singer will come in and radically change something on relatively short notice.

For instance, he and Halle Berry never really got along, and their quite vocal argument made the headlines when they were shooting X2. I think Berry even said during the press junket for X-Men: The Last Stand that she didn't necessarily mind that Singer didn't come back. Alan Cumming also complained a little about Singer's improvisational creative process several times during press for X2.

I think Ian McKellen best described Singer this way, to paraphrase, when he was comparing Singer with Brett Ratner, who directed X-Men: The Last Stand, on the difference between the two directors: "[Bryan] is the type that would stay away from everyone at a party; Brett is the type that would inevitably become the host and essentially become the center of attention".

In other words, where Ratner is very out-going and social, Singer is a bit more socially reserved and yes, awkward. I think that's why he's one of my favorite filmmakers because I can relate to him that way.
Old July 23 2011, 10:38 AM   #1835
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Many, many creative people are socially awkward.
Old July 23 2011, 10:40 AM   #1836
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Superman Returns did have a "3D premium" in the form of IMAX 3D. However, I don't know how much that contributed to the overall box office performance.

Not significantly in those days, no. 3D runs around forty percent of a big movie's take now, domestically and higher in foreign markets.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:40 AM   #1837
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

JacksonArcher...thanks for your eloquent post. That was precisely what I was attempting to say last page.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:42 AM   #1838
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I am one of them.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher...thanks for your eloquent post. That was precisely what I was attempting to say last page.
Of course. I got your point.
Old July 23 2011, 10:42 AM   #1839
Jetfire

Zack Snyder seems more layed back and straight forward...

Unless I am reading him wrong.

Old July 23 2011, 10:46 AM   #1840
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Singer delivered a much more cerebral movie than I think we're going to get from Snyder. I think based on Snyder's litany of previous works and his general personality, we're going to get a much more action-packed, less meditative and thoughtful film. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but I just hope it's not completely soulless, either.
Old July 23 2011, 10:53 AM   #1841
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Zack is pretty outlandish and excitable. I would agree that we're going to get a more action oriented "Superman" film this time around but I think people still are overlooking who wrote the script (yes I know Kurt Johnstad is doing a re-write). Maybe my fandom is getting in the way of my objectivity of this movie but I remain optimistic and excited about this project.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 11:11 AM   #1842
Jetfire

I am hoping we get a good movie...I would be hoping for a great movie...the cast is great...but I don't want to get my hopes up. As a Superman fan...I want this movie to be big.
Old July 23 2011, 11:19 AM   #1843
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Singer delivered a much more cerebral movie than I think we're going to get from Snyder. I think based on Snyder's litany of previous works and his general personality, we're going to get a much more action-packed, less meditative and thoughtful film. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but I just hope it's not completely soulless, either.

Somewhere in between Singer's approach and that of Snyder would be perfect for me. I'm hoping that the influence of the Nolans and Goyer will balance Snyder's more crash-bang-wallop tendencies. I've never been persuaded that Zack is the best director for this project but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt (the casting is certainly swaying me in his favour).
Old July 23 2011, 02:11 PM   #1844
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
You questioned my description of him as socially awkward, though, a description JA backed up and expanded on in his post.
Old July 23 2011, 02:30 PM   #1845
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I am one of them.
Being socially awkward doesn't automatically make you creative.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote