RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,852
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 521
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 29 2011, 02:48 PM   #1741
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I personally will be content with being entertained. It's probably the one quality in the movie I look for it, and am willing to overlook any flaws.
Bingo - that's the reason I pay money for a movie ticket. If I caught myself thinking that a fucking superhero movie was going to uplift or educate or aspire to high art I'd put the cash toward a therapist's appointment instead.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 03:00 PM   #1742
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Snyder "got" Watchmen pretty well.
Synder didn't 'get' Watchmen at all, by virtue of the fact that a movie was even made.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 03:25 PM   #1743
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

You're mistaken.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 03:57 PM   #1744
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I'm 100% sure a movie was made.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:20 PM   #1745
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Wouldn't that then completely discredit the claim that the comic was unfilmable?
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:36 PM   #1746
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that then completely discredit the claim that the comic was unfilmable?
You know what else is "unfilmable?"

Harry Potter. Gone With The Wind.

These kind of properties are "unfilmable" in the sense that decently structured movies of practical length can't be made without major changes that offend purist fans of the original work. In the case of these two examples, different approaches were taken to solve that - with Harry Potter, the filmmakers go for the kitchen-sink-make-it-fit approach to appease the Potterheads or whatever they're called on the premise that there are enough of them and their WOM is more important than dramatic integrity. In the case of GWTW, a gaggle of screenwriters simply forged ahead and did the necessary surgery anyway.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:47 PM   #1747
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that then completely discredit the claim that the comic was unfilmable?
Having seen the movie, I'd say it proved it.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:55 PM   #1748
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Having seen the movie, I'd say it proved it.
I say the opposite.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:01 PM   #1749
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Synder didn't 'get' Watchmen at all, by virtue of the fact that a movie was even made.
I'm sure a more faithful movie could have been made, but not by Snyder. He just can't help but make everything really glossy and overly-stylized-- which are probably the two biggest things a Watchmen movie should NOT be. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:14 PM   #1750
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

A closer adaptation than Snyder's, especially in terms of more closely mimicking the color palette of the comic book, was highly unlikely to get a greenlight from a studio.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:16 PM   #1751
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Let's not get into a pissing contest if "Watchmen" should have been made or not. It was made, and some people enjoyed it, others didn't. The fact that Snyder pulled it off in the first place is an achievement in it's self I believe.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:28 PM   #1752
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Let's not get into a pissing contest if "Watchmen" should have been made or not. It was made, and some people enjoyed it, others didn't. The fact that Snyder pulled it off in the first place is an achievement in it's self I believe.
Yea, it didn't work for me, and I know nothing about the Graphic novel, but, it did work for many others like me. Just as it worked for many who did know the Graphic Novel and didn't work for others.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:30 PM   #1753
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Not to mention the fact that it probably got non fans who didn't read the graphic novel to read the graphic novel.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:36 PM   #1754
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I know for a fact that it did. The first weekend Watchmen was out, I was eating lunch at work. There was a gaggle of extremely young women sitting at the table next to mine. They were all talking about the movie and how they were all going to read the graphic novel. Now these chicks clearly never picked up a comic in their lives and I nearly had a goddamn coronary when I heard what they were talking about.

Of course I'm of the opinion that it was Doc Manhattan's shlong that drew them to the material, but that's neither here nor there...
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:39 PM   #1755
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

haha a gaggle, you say?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.