Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 29 2011, 03:59 AM   #1726
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Snyder "got" Watchmen pretty well. Moore's intent with the story is not such a simple thing and doesn't boil down to one inarguable dominating theme, which is about the only thing that elevates it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:25 AM   #1727
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

^ The three clunker films in my mind are Quest for Peace, Supergirl, and Superman Returns. I think I to III are the best. I said that. Dude, Broccoli, did you read my post fully? The iffy tv attempt I said was Superboy.

"TPTB should have really just left it alone after the first 3. And even 3 was a lot like that sub par Return of the Jedi feeling. Much as I love Supergirl in its badness, they were milking this franchise with that and Quest for Peace so badly! Lois and Clark and Smallville ran their course just fine as well. My, do you remember that brief Superboy tv show? Really, even with 3 clunker films and an iffy tv attempt, If you look at it as a damn decent trilogy and 2 cool shows, there's enough quality Superman media to last for quite awhile."

You know what they say about assume :P

And I don't consider the first film the best not because it came first, but because thus far it still is the best. They've been trying to top it for 35 years and haven't succeeded. At some point should they just stop bothering with all the trouble and be content with what they have?

Sigh, this is why I don't always bother to post. One of two things will happen with this movie. It will bomb like Superman Returns or top the original. Anything in between will only be considered an excuse to make another one.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:30 AM   #1728
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I personally will be content with being entertained. It's probably the one quality in the movie I look for it, and am willing to overlook any flaws. I'm getting more and more eager about seeing Henry in the costume as well. I'm sure that will be the next thing everyone will critique and bitch about. Heh. This thread will implode when it does surface I'm sure.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:38 AM   #1729
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
^ The three clunker films in my mind are Quest for Peace, Supergirl, and Superman Returns. I think I to III are the best. I said that. Dude, Broccoli, did you read my post fully? The iffy tv attempt I said was Superboy.

"TPTB should have really just left it alone after the first 3. And even 3 was a lot like that sub par Return of the Jedi feeling. Much as I love Supergirl in its badness, they were milking this franchise with that and Quest for Peace so badly! Lois and Clark and Smallville ran their course just fine as well. My, do you remember that brief Superboy tv show? Really, even with 3 clunker films and an iffy tv attempt, If you look at it as a damn decent trilogy and 2 cool shows, there's enough quality Superman media to last for quite awhile."

You know what they say about assume :P

And I don't consider the first film the best not because it came first, but because thus far it still is the best. They've been trying to top it for 35 years and haven't succeeded. At some point should they just stop bothering with all the trouble and be content with what they have?

Sigh, this is why I don't always bother to post. One of two things will happen with this movie. It will bomb like Superman Returns or top the original. Anything in between will only be considered an excuse to make another one.
Sorry, KB. The way you worded your post had me interpret it differently from your intent.
Old June 29 2011, 05:39 AM   #1730
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Did Superman Returns bomb or did it underperform? IIRC, it made as much as Batman Begins, but cost more to make.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:46 AM   #1731
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Did Superman Returns bomb or did it underperform? IIRC, it made as much as Batman Begins, but cost more to make.
It under-preformed. It actually had a higher B.O. than Batman Begins, but it was an expensive movie to begin with and had the costs of the aborted Superman films tacked onto its budget.
Old June 29 2011, 05:48 AM   #1732
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Agreed. It under performed. It's budget was over two hundred million dollars to begin with and I believe absorbed the previous attempts at restarting the franchise. I could be wrong about that.

Old June 29 2011, 05:51 AM   #1733
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ Agreed. It under performed. It's budget was over two hundred million dollars to begin with and I believe absorbed the previous attempts at restarting the franchise. I could be wrong about that.
The budget reports have ranged from 185-209 million. I don't know for sure if that takes into account the abortive projects or if those costs were added onto that. Either way, it was an expensive movie and didn't quite make as much as WB was hoping.

But, a bomb, it was not.
Old June 29 2011, 05:54 AM   #1734
KB24
Fleet Captain

Whew! I thought I was loosing it, Broccoli

Yeah How much money did Superman Returns make and it wasn't good enough? I just worry they are going to dole out crap for the bucks rather than make something with some spirit. Agreed that at least Cavill has more onscreen weight than, uh, that Brandon Roof or somebody who was in Returns. Why can't a franchise ever just been finished? We are so extreme, some things just go on and on and need to be put down and so many other things are snatched away at the spark. Sad.

ETA: To the studio wanting the big bucks, does underperformed = bomb? The Box Office is like College Football, never a clear winner and so much damn criteria to consider!
Old June 29 2011, 06:02 AM   #1735
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Superman Returns approximately doubled its budget. In Hollywood, that is usually a coin flip on whether or not a sequel will happen. If SR had stronger reviews (which were not bad - it got a 76% over at RT) and movie goers responded better towards it, I predict we would have seen a Superman Returns II (with a smaller budget).
Old June 29 2011, 06:08 AM   #1736
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It still astonishes me the divisive nature of "Superman Returns". For all of it's flaws I think Singer told and executed the film he wanted to do (and is classy for admitting that it ultimately had flaws despite the fact he didn't need to do that). People were simply expecting a totally different movie from him and when they didn't get it...they bitched about it and continue to do so to this day and probably will until they get the type of Superman movie "they" want to see.

Old June 29 2011, 06:18 AM   #1737
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It was purposely a "chick flick" as Singer has stated many times

http://financial.businessinsider.com...ad?GUID=121018

Bryan Singer tells Senior Writer Sean Smith that the movie is his "first chick flick. There's plenty of stuff for the boys, but in the past I've made movies that boys have to drag their girlfriends to," Singer tells Newsweek in an interview in the July 3-July 10 issue (on newsstands Monday, June 26). "This one shows my friends that I have a romantic side. They have accused me of having affairs with my movies, to the point where [they take the place of] human romance."
It was a failed experiment. If part 2 had been made it would probably feature more action and fanboys would compare it to X2 or Superman 2
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 06:50 AM   #1738
KB24
Fleet Captain

I know what you mean Admiral. For what it is Superman Returns isn't bad, it is just, I don't know, not a Superman movie, you know? Sort of like Halloween III: Season of the Witch. Yeah, perhaps it isn't that bad there, but why did they go there to begin with?

Eh. What's this one supposed to be about anyway? Did I miss that? Why don't they just do Funeral for a Friend and have the four rival Supermen. Whoever is the popular gets the franchise.

Remember how the latest Crowe Robin Hood was originally a script called Nottingham told from the misunderstood Sheriff's point of view? Why not have a Lex Luthor movie? Something a little different. How many times can they keep telling the same Superman stuff?
Old June 29 2011, 07:17 AM   #1739
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I feel like they've only scratched the surface as far as movie versions of Superman go.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 01:36 PM   #1740
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I would agree with that sentiment to some degree. This is another reason why I'm excited to see what Snyder can do with the character and his mythos. Fans too I think aren't giving enough credit to Nolan and Goyer who have concentrated on the script. Everything I've read so far suggests that Zach has had nothing to do with any of the rewrites. I'm sure he's consulted but he hasn't been hands on to my understanding.