RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 739
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 26 2011, 09:42 PM   #1711
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Christopher Meloni leaves SVU to play a cop in Superman? Hmph. Weird.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 10:14 PM   #1712
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
To play a soldier actually.
Old June 26 2011, 10:29 PM   #1713
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

What matters is the size of the paycheck.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 02:09 AM   #1714
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Christopher Miloni didn't leave SUV just for "Man of Steel". I am sure this is the first role of a new movie career for the guy.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 02:51 AM   #1715
KB24
Fleet Captain

He appeared in movies before and during SVU. Will his soldier guy be any different than Stabler, anyway?

Even if he is getting a huge paycheck, can you imagine if this bombs? It will be like David Caruso all over again, don't you think? Would he come crawling back? Although odds are SVU will probably be mercifully put down by time this gets released, hopefully.
Old June 27 2011, 02:58 AM   #1716
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm hoping SUV gets put down before he has a chance to come back. I liked Chris's voice acting in "Green Lantern: First Flight". I know he had movie roles prior to and during his time on SUV but I think he probably wants to just concentrate on films.

Old June 27 2011, 03:51 AM   #1717
Aragorn
Admiral

Even if he is getting a huge paycheck, can you imagine if this bombs? It will be like David Caruso all over again, don't you think? Would he come crawling back? Although odds are SVU will probably be mercifully put down by time this gets released, hopefully.
This is nothing like David Caruso. Caruso left NYPD Blue after one season to do movies despite not having established himself in movies first. The two movies he starred in -- which he never would've gotten had it not been for NYPD Blue in the first place -- bombed and that was that for him.

Meloni has made a ton of money being on a primetime drama for 12 seasons and it's not like he thinks he's the next Tom Cruise or George Clooney here. He didn't leave SVU because of Superman, which he isn't even the star of. He's not giving the middle finger to TV only to come crawling back a few years later like Caruso, Shelly Long and most of the cast of L.A. Law.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 11:21 AM   #1718
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Got it in one. He's a highly respected theatre actor too, with a movie career that predates MOS and a tv career before L&O. Remember him in the prison drama Oz?
Old June 27 2011, 12:22 PM   #1719
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Miloni role in "Oz" as Chris Keller is where I first discovered him and always found it amusing that he was playing a cop in "Special Victims Unit". I think KB24 was being humorous to some degree comparing him to David Caruso (someone who I can't stand lol) since the two of them both left successful cop shows in pursuit of a movie career. Unlike Caruso, Miloni has talent

Old June 28 2011, 12:24 AM   #1720
KB24
Fleet Captain

Yes, humor. Meloni was also on Homicide briefly before Oz. A lot of articles out there are claiming that the leaving of SVU is directly related to Superman, which is dumb. Honestly, at his age now I don't expect Meloni to be a super movie star, if this movie were to bad, I think he'd do just fine.
Old June 29 2011, 02:25 AM   #1721
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Comparing a director's previous films and projecting concerns for a totally different project seems to be a redundant thing to me.
Except that he brought the exact same stylistic approach to both 300 & Watchmen even though those 2 projects should have been totally different from each other. I'm terrified that this penchant for the ultraviolence will end up being the throughline for his directing career and will end up contaminating his Superman movie beyond repair. Not to say there isn't a time & a place for Snyder's style. I'd love to see him do an adaptation of Dark Knight Returns. But I have a sinking feeling that Snyder will end up being just as boneheadedly inappropriate a choice for Superman as Tim Burton was.

davejames wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
This is true. While I have some issues with Synder's directorial ticks, "Watchmen" is an almost too faithful adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbson's graphic novel.
I only read the book shortly before the movie came out, so I'm no expert, but it still felt to me like Snyder glamorized the characters and action FAR too much, and turned everybody into a bunch of slick, ass-kicking superheroes.

He might have captured the look of the comic really well, but not the tone.
Exactly my point. Watchmen is supposed to be a deconstructionist take on a bunch of pathetic has-beens. Snyder turned it into a glorification of sociopaths beating the shit out of people in super-slow-mo.

It makes it all the more appropriate that Gibbons is credited on the movie and Moore is not, since Snyder painstakingly recreates all of Gibbons' comic frames but can't seem to wrap his head around any of Moore's intellectual content. He knows exactly what the comic book said but has no understanding of its meaning.

I also have to question the intelligence & sanity of a man who can make a movie like Sucker Punch with teenage girls kicking ass in short skirted uniforms and yet insist that it's not an exploitation film.
Old June 29 2011, 02:53 AM   #1722
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I think fans are scared because of what has happened with prior "Superman" films. They are so desperate to have one succeed and be both a critical and box office hit that they're tentative. Zach Snyder was a controversial choice due to this style no doubt about that. Everything he has said before about the film and Superman in general makes me think we should at least give him a chance before jumping all over and saying this is gonna be a flop. We've not even finished casting, or got an actual real synopsis of the plot yet and already this film has divided fans. I dunno I just have been a big fan of the casting so far. Nothing has jumped out of me and said oooh I hate this yet. When something does I'll bitch about it.

Old June 29 2011, 03:23 AM   #1723
KB24
Fleet Captain

If ever there was a franchise that fans should be scared of, it's Superman. TPTB should have really just left it alone after the first 3. And even 3 was a lot like that sub par Return of the Jedi feeling. Much as I love Supergirl in its badness, they were milking this franchise with that and Quest for Peace so badly! Lois and Clark and Smallville ran their course just fine as well. My, do you remember that brief Superboy tv show?

Really, even with 3 clunker films and an iffy tv attempt, If you look at it as a damn decent trilogy and 2 cool shows, there's enough quality Superman media to last for quite awhile. Why do modern filmmakers always think they need to do it better? Bryan Singer blew his wad for Superman Returns (it is a given he should have never left The Last Stand) and Zak Snyder now dropping the 300 prequel. Sometimes I just why a franchise can't be left well enough alone? I still take Superman I and II over a lot of this modern drivel.

Eh, not trying to sound bitchy. Just getting genuinely frustrated at all these new attempts and still at the end of the day thinking the original was best, wasn't broke, and shouldn't have been fixed, you know?
Old June 29 2011, 03:31 AM   #1724
Skywalker
Admiral

Superman: The Movie may be the best of the movies that have already been made, but that doesn't mean it will always be the best. Just because something came first, that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 03:46 AM   #1725
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Really, even with 3 clunker films and an iffy tv attempt,
What?! How can you realistically say that? I am assuming the "three clunker films" is in reference to Supeman I-III (as suggested earlier in your post). Superman: The Movie and Superman II have been generally highly regarded both with critics and film goers, and they continue to be so today. Superman III was, admittingly, a let down both critically and financially. However, I wouldn't call the series to that point "clunker" by any means.

Same with TV. Superman has been very successful on television. George Reeves's series, The Adventures of Superman was on television screens for seven years and was only stopped due to Reeves's death. Both Superboy and Lois and Clark were on for four years. Not a long run, but a respectable one. Smallville was on for ten years and currently ranks as the longest-running superhero-related show on TV. All this doesn't take into account the various animated series that have appeared over the years. I wouldn't call that an "iffy attempt". I'd call that a continuously successful attempt.