Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 14 2011, 08:43 AM   #76
Paradon
Rear Admiral

Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

1001001 wrote: View Post

One celeb I did not care for was Suzie Plakson. She was very stand offish, and not very polite. I went up to her table in the dealer's room and attemtped to engage her in conversation, and I got one word answers and the death stare. No one else was there at her table, and I still felt like I was interrupting her.

Suzie Plankson is like Medusa...? I kindda like her, though...as an actor! I never thought she's like this.... She played a Klingon woman very well, though.... She kindda has that personality that can turn even the strongest toughest men into stone...!
Old February 15 2011, 09:01 PM   #77
ClayinCA
Commodore

When I met Suzie at Shore Leave, waaaaaay back when she had first joined Trek, she was awesome. Bright, gregarious, friendly, and danced with me at the TenForward party Saturday night. (I was too tongue-tied to know what to do. But she looked like she was having a good time!)
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 05:02 AM   #78
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

One celeb I did not care for was Suzie Plakson. She was very stand offish, and not very polite. I went up to her table in the dealer's room and attemtped to engage her in conversation, and I got one word answers and the death stare. No one else was there at her table, and I still felt like I was interrupting her.
Really? She was very nice to me, friendly and chatty at Creation Parsippany in 2009.
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 12:36 AM   #79
FastForward
Cadet

My first con experience was at "Hal-Con" here in eastern Canada this past fall. It's a broad based con featuring SF, fantasy, comics, etc. Although the featured guests were Denise Crosby and Walter Koenig, there were a number of authors, comic book artist, video game developers, etc in attendance.

I went because of the costuming, and I spent a long time building a tribute to Master Chief from the Halo games. It was very well received, and at one point I was posing at the top of a small flight of stairs for pictures. There was a huge roar of laughter from the crowd and I turned to see Denise Crosby had crept up behind me and given me "bunny ears".

FastForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 12:47 AM   #80
Anwar
Vice Admiral

You were at Hal-Con? So was I! I didn't get to see Walter Koenig though.

If you saw me, I was the guy in the Dead Jester Costume.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 06:18 PM   #81
Let the Good Times Roll!!

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post

Really? She was very nice to me, friendly and chatty at Creation Parsippany in 2009.
It's certainly possible we just caught her on a bad day. I asked her what it was like to work on Everybody Loves Raymond, and she said "fine" and stared at me like I just spit in her eye.

Or maybe it was that I didn't buy anything....

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 11:18 PM   #82
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

I've found that buyin' an autograph will improve a celebrity's mood immensely.

Except with Brent Spiner.
Old February 20 2011, 11:57 PM   #83
Let the Good Times Roll!!

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

I've found that buyin' an autograph will improve a celebrity's mood immensely.

Except with Brent Spiner.
We did, through the convention tickets. We got her autograph after her talk.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 01:27 AM   #84
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Not exactly STAR TREK, but I enjoyed meeting Ben Browder several years ago. You could tell he was a genuine science fiction fan who was well-read in the literature; he spoke enthusiastically about Larry Niven, Vernor Vinge, etc.
I agree about Ben Browder, as I saw him last year at a convention in Melbourne. Was absolute hoot. Didn't get an autograph or photo, hopefully next time, as he loves Australia.

JRS;4724240[B wrote:
Nana Visitor[/B]
I met Nana Visitor last year.
Nana is one person I was hoping to meet this weekend at a convention in Sydney, but pulled out again. Also will get to meet John de Lancie as he will be there also.

Saw Tim Russ last time he was in Australia (back in 2003 or 04), very entertaining. Still thinking about seeing either Jonathon Frakes and/or the Voyager Double in August (Tim & Kathryn)
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 03:29 AM   #85
Halfordgirl
Lieutenant Commander

Had very positive experiences meeting Marc Alaimo, Casey Biggs, Max Grodenchik and Vaughn Armstrong in Chicago last October. They could not have been nicer. Casey Biggs is a total sweetheart and Marc Alaimo is a bit of a flirt! I think it helps to be a reasonably attractive female and not wearing a costume... also, we met them in the hotel's bar...not in the photo or autograph line...casual setting and cocktails helps!
Halfordgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 02:22 AM   #86
Halfordgirl
Lieutenant Commander

Tosk wrote: View Post
I once went to a convention that featured George Takei and Marc Alaimo. From the get-go George was his usual ebullient self, but Alaimo was quite surly. Very curt with people, and just really didn't seem to want to be there. By the second half of the day though, he got into the swing of things and was having a merry old time of it all. Laughing and joking with George at the signing table, messing around with fans, he just seemed to be having a blast.

The only reason I mention this boring little story is that the actors are people too, and often have an off day (or half) and that you can't really judge them from that one encounter. (Much as it can be crushing for the fan.)

Personally, this is the only time a Trek actor been even remotely rude to fans.

That's not to say some of them aren't jerks, of course.
Marc Alaimo was probably having an off day...it happens..I've met him and he's great!
Old February 22 2011, 02:29 AM   #87
Halfordgirl
Lieutenant Commander

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
That definitely does sound unusual for Alaimo, from what I've usually heard. Probably got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning--and you're right, we can all have a day like that (sounds like some days in my old job when I just did not want to be there, and it took awhile to get my "customer face" turned on). Glad to hear he got back to "normal" later.
I'm a DS9/Cardassians fan...love my Dukat and Damar :-)..Haven't seen Marc Alaimo listed as attending any Cons this year...wonder if he's retired..I will also be checking out more of your fanfiction... loved "Isolation"!
Old February 22 2011, 04:58 AM   #88
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

No idea if he's still into cons or not.

And thanks for the kind words. I'm a little confused, though...I never wrote anything by the title of "Isolation."
Old February 22 2011, 05:02 AM   #89
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

FastForward wrote: View Post
I went because of the costuming, and I spent a long time building a tribute to Master Chief from the Halo games. It was very well received, and at one point I was posing at the top of a small flight of stairs for pictures. There was a huge roar of laughter from the crowd and I turned to see Denise Crosby had crept up behind me and given me "bunny ears".
That is just cool as hell.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 05:06 AM   #90
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
No idea if he's still into cons or not.

And thanks for the kind words. I'm a little confused, though...I never wrote anything by the title of "Isolation."
Must have been your Evil Id Clone.

Don't lock your doors, it won't be enough to protect you from a telepathic projection of your psyche.