RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 576
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 15 2013, 01:54 AM   #181
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

Kate Mulgrew has a tendency to get on her political/moral/philosophical soapbox during her talks. I once heard Dominic Keating saying, while Kate was on stage and he was to the side of it, signing autographs, "For fucks sake, Kate, tell a joke!"
Old March 15 2013, 05:31 AM   #182
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Sagart wrote: View Post
Kate Mulgrew has a tendency to get on her political/moral/philosophical soapbox during her talks. I once heard Dominic Keating saying, while Kate was on stage and he was to the side of it, signing autographs, "For fucks sake, Kate, tell a joke!"
She is very....classical? She is the kind of person who loves Shakespeare and reading and talking about her life...her kids...etc. She's pretty open and opinionated. I don't know how else to explain her personality. You are right though..."funny" is not the first thing I think of when I see her or think of her, but she can be...it's just more subtle.

I think she is capable of being very funny when she wants to be. It was not showcased much on Voyager to its full potential. Even still...I just love her voice...it's so distinct and not many people have voices like that anymore. I feel the same way about Jessica Lange...I think both ladies have great voices.

I thought Kate was pretty funny here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Ur1E6YDz0
Old March 15 2013, 09:05 AM   #183
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

When I saw Kate it was a comedy act, VERY FUNNY, people were dying laughing. Maybe she's ramped up the comedy as she's gotten older? She still made political and religious comments but they were very funny. She tells dramatic, often self deprecating stories.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:43 PM   #184
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Of all the actors I've heard speak at horror, sci-fi and nostalgia conventions, Kate Mulgrew was by far the wittiest and plenty funny. Those who attended Hunt Valley's last Shore Leave can attest to her hilarious back-and-forth with a teenage Borg Queen as proof.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:14 PM   #185
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I will add that my experience with Kate Mulgrew was great as well. She is a very commanding presence. Very funny and energetic. I did a photo op with her years ago, and she was really nice.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:30 PM   #186
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Brian wrote: View Post
It was the first note in a thread called "Politics at Cons", where I was asking if anyone else had encountered a guest who went too far in expressing their political or religious beliefs (that's not why we're there, after all), so it's written in that context:

ETA: Everyone, since this is *not* a TNZ thread, let's refrain from debating the politics involved here. I'm just sharing why *I* found Dirk Benedict to be a bad convention guest. Suffice it to say that he and I are diametrically opposed in our views.
Okay, I'm respecting your wishes that we not debate the politics of what Dirk Benedict said. However, since this is a thread about bad con experiences, I do want to ask... was it the fact that he used his platform to speak about politics and religion that irritated you? Or was it the fact that he advocated positions you disagree with quite vehemently and personally? If, for example, he had gone on a tear about why we should be permitting gay marriage and how not doing so is denying people their fundamental human rights, would you have found his use of the platform as a soapbox so off-putting?

Sincerely curious.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:30 PM   #187
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for that dude
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:33 PM   #188
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Delta Vega wrote: View Post
I would like to meet the cast of Enterprise, but note that Blalok is described as an "airhead", thats a bit disappointing.
Picardo, Auberjonois, Spiner, Nimoy would interest me greatly, but reading reports on here its probably best that I will never meet them, only to be underwhelmed.

Also, the fact that so many con goers are dressed as Cardassians, Orions, Andorrians and God Forbid, Klingons, must be very, very offputting for some of the actors in question, I mean surely you can be a fan of Trek without dressing like a dick ?
OK, first of all, Jolene is not a regular on the convention circuit.

Second of all: Very few fans wear costumes at conventions (unless they are participating in contests).

Feel better?
I would feel much much better meeting my favourite "airhead"

Thanks
Old March 15 2013, 09:35 PM   #189
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Thanks for that dude
Check out the UK con diary, too. There might be something there as well. http://www.lotna.org.uk/cons.htm

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #190
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
When I saw Kate it was a comedy act, VERY FUNNY, people were dying laughing. Maybe she's ramped up the comedy as she's gotten older? She still made political and religious comments but they were very funny. She tells dramatic, often self deprecating stories.
Yeah, I have only gotten to experience her on YouTube so far haha. But I am going to the Las Vegas convention which she will be speaking at. From what I've seen on YouTube, she is very funny especially when she is doing a show on her own. I love her voice... too bad I am from New Jersey... I will never sound like her haha.
Old March 15 2013, 11:17 PM   #191
Opus
Commodore

^I'm bummed. Ms. Mulgrew was scheduled to be at the creation con in Boston this June, but she's no longer on the website's line-up. I wouldn't mind meeting her either.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 11:58 PM   #192
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Kate Mulgrew seems to LOVE speaking and interacting with fans at cons. There were a few actors I've seen who were having a great time and for whom conventions were seemingly a lot of fun.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:46 PM   #193
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

I agree she seems to be one the good ones, who is very appreciative and respectful towards fans from what I've heard her say and fans say.

OphaClyde, So far for cons, she's only so far scheduled for Las Vegas right now. But if you like her and live in the NYC vicinity, she's doing a play in May/June at the Vineyard Theater.
Old March 17 2013, 02:00 AM   #194
JWD75
Commander

I would have to say Brent Spiner. He tried really hard to be a smart ass, but all he ever manages to be is just an ass.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 01:03 PM   #195
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Thanks for that dude
Check out the UK con diary, too. There might be something there as well. http://www.lotna.org.uk/cons.htm
Thanks very much