RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 743
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Wonder Woman TV Series Shelved

I attempted searching for the other thread in TV and Media but couldn't find it so started a new one. It seems David Kelly completed the script to the pilot and turned it in last week but Warner execs passed on it, deeming that it was too expensive. So just like the live action film the tv series project seems back in development hell for now.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...-wonder-woman/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Wonder Woman TV Series Shelved

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm disappointed at the continued lack of high-profile Wonder Woman adaptations; but on the other hand, I couldn't imagine that David E. Kelley's version of Wonder Woman would be one I'd enjoy, so I feel we've dodged (or bracelet-deflected) a bullet.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Jetfire

Too expensive?
Old January 8 2011, 05:17 PM   #4
wamdue
Admiral

i was fully expecting this, when it was first annouced.
Old January 8 2011, 05:18 PM   #5
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

I'm almost at the point where I just want something to feature Wonder Woman in a live action context. A movie, a TV show, whatever, no matter the quality. But I'm not quite that desperate yet and still hoping it'll be good.
Old January 8 2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I dunno if we dodged a bullet...it must have been really set heavy with special effects if Warner Bros' deemed it too expensive is my guess. That could indicate that it was ambitious in it's scope. Who knows. I was interested in his take. I'm not sure what the difficulty is with "Wonder Woman" to be honest. Steeped in Greek myth, potentially strong female action role model as Linda Carter seemed to be back in the 70's. Bridget Regan is still my choice to play Diana. I wish "Smallville" had done a WW episode.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Agent Richard07
Admiral

wamdue wrote: View Post
i was fully expecting this, when it was first annouced.
I was half expecting this. I'm not surprised.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 05:39 PM   #8
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I wish "Smallville" had done a WW episode.
I'm glad we've been spared that likely atrocity.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Thats just unfortunate.

I wonder how much would it take to do a Wonder Woman Espionage Centered Series like the comics.
Old January 8 2011, 05:58 PM   #10
saturn5
Fleet Captain

How can superheroes like Green Lantern/Elektra/Green Hornet get movies and no one wants to make a series about the most iconic of superheroines?
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 06:08 PM   #11
wamdue
Admiral

saturn5 wrote: View Post
How can superheroes like Green Lantern/Elektra/Green Hornet get movies and no one wants to make a series about the most iconic of superheroines?
this isnt meant to be sexist, but the problem with some female charcters, is that they are dated compared to the modern world, male characters are more timeless, whilst female characters are more products of there time.

so reviving Wonder Woman for the general public on TV in the movies, is always going to require changes so she fits the modern world, almost making it a pointless excerise.

Times have changed for women, WonderWoman runs the vey real risk of looking hopelessly dated.
Old January 8 2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Because she is not iconic.

The reason that she was even published at first was a role model for girls. Then because of legal obligations.

Honesty Robin, is more iconic than Wonder Woman.
Old January 8 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bleeding Cool has more on the shelving of the project -- Fox wasn't interested, CW couldn't afford it, and ABC has their own superheroine series in development (the Alias adaptation).

NBC would seem like a logical choice after Heroes, but they have The Cape, and a comic-book series just doesn't fit with CBS's direction.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 06:20 PM   #14
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Because she is not iconic.

The reason that she was even published at first was a role model for girls. Then because of legal obligations.

Honesty Robin, is more iconic than Wonder Woman.
Good posting name Cuchulan, no surrender!
I think in the popular imagination WW is still tops, ask the man in the street to name a female superheroine and he'd name WW. Just as Robin gains his notoriety from the Adam West Batman the public still think of WW from the Lynda Carter series
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Takeru
Fleet Captain

wamdue wrote: View Post
so reviving Wonder Woman for the general public on TV in the movies, is always going to require changes so she fits the modern world, almost making it a pointless excerise.
Then make the show about Wonder Woman not fitting the modern world and trying to find her place. If the character seems dated, don't change it, embrace it and make it work.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote