Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2012, 04:17 PM   #481
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

So which Rimmer are we dealing with here? He mentions the Radiation leak killing him and also how he saved Red Dwarf after the season 8 cliffhanger. Is it possible he returned as Ace or took credit for living Rimmer's actions?
Old November 9 2012, 04:23 PM   #482
Starkers
Admiral

^On the subject of Ace, when he went in the back I did half expect him to come out all Ace Rimmer'y!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 04:27 PM   #483
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I agree it wasn't the strongest episode but it was nice to see Rimmer get some redemption and even some pride at becoming a second technician.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 06:04 PM   #484
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm guessing somehow they merged the two Rimmers. Mostly though we're expected to just think they're the same character no matter what. Incidentally, if Rimmer's dad wasn't lying (and I think he coulda been), the gardener musta had more fun with the wife, as one of Arnold's brothers had also been played by Chris Barrie. And HE was a super successful guy too.

Decent episode. Overall a good season. It fits - I think that if somehow Red Dwarf had been on for 25 years without a break, its quality would be about what we saw.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 08:28 PM   #485
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Shame about the simulants. They were probably the high point of the episode.

Again, an okay episode. Nothing earthshaking, but it has a few laughs. But man, those must've been the tiniest missiles ever.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 08:43 PM   #486
Saul
Rear Admiral

Agreed it wasn't the strongest episode, particularly one that had been based off the script for the proposed movie. Anyone a tincy bit disappointed we didn't get a proper explanation to season 8's cliffhanger nor did we hear anything about Kochanski.

As for heroic Rimmer he seems to take on that mantle at the end of the more recent series but is always back to his good ole self at the beginning of the next one.
Old November 10 2012, 09:02 AM   #487
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

From Doug Naylor on Twitter:

@DougRDNaylor RDX1 depends on high DVD sales, if it doesn't sell + BBCWW don't get money back they may pass on RDX1
Old November 10 2012, 11:57 AM   #488
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post

@DougRDNaylor RDX1 depends on high DVD sales, if it doesn't sell + BBCWW don't get money back they may pass on RDX1
Ouch, that's harsh. I wonder why RD is different from their other productions?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old November 10 2012, 12:13 PM   #489
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post

Ouch, that's harsh. I wonder why RD is different from their other productions?
Red Dwarf is a Dave production, Dave is owned by UKTV, UKTV is owned by BBC WW and Scripps. So I guess the deal is BBC make the money from UK home video sales.
Old November 10 2012, 12:29 PM   #490
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I guess my confusion is that good ratings usually guarantee renewal. Didn't someone say that it was Dave's second highest rated show ever? The BBC or an American cable network couldn't get a contract sent out fast enough.

I've just never seen television work this way.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell well, particularly amongst American Dwarf fans.

Last edited by Cutter John; November 10 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old November 10 2012, 12:48 PM   #491
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I guess my confusion is that good ratings usually guarantee renewal. Didn't someone say that it was Dave's second highest rated show ever? The BBC or an American cable network couldn't get a contract sent out fast enough.

I've just never seen television work this way.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell well, particularly amongst US FD fans.
Not just Dave's second highest rated show ever, UKTV, across all 10 channels, second highest rated show ever, first being Back to Earth.
It may just be an anomaly with the way UKTV, 50/50 ownership between BBC Worldwide and Scripps, Advertising provided by Channel 4, and BBC Worldwide's profits going back to the BBC.

But it's probably along the lines of the sales of the DVD can't hurt so buy them and give them more reason to renew it. As it's a BBC Worldwide production, and BBC Worldwide produce and sell the DVDs the profit goes directly to them, unlike say Stargate where MGM produce it, Syfy air it and Sony produce the DVDs, so all of the profit goes to the same people.
Old November 11 2012, 01:14 AM   #492
Tulin
Vice Admiral

A REALLY good season finale!

REALLY enjoyed it!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 03:03 AM   #493
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Why are they dragging the US release till January?

They'd make more money if it came out the same time as the UK release with X-Mas & all.

I mean, I'll still buy it no matter what.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 03:25 AM   #494
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Different dvd regions means different factories making different packages on polar side of the planet, which means completely different legal remedies and distribution hassles to keep everything above board... Not to mention shear volume.

England wants a couple hundred thousand boxsets... America needs millions.

Meanwhile maybe the American distributors and fabricators need to wait to see if the product is successful in a smaller market?

And the rule of thumb has always been that dvds come out after it's aired on television... unless you're from a ridiculous small tinpot little country still slogging through a first run of the last seasons of Friends.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 08:39 PM   #495
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Last episode was very good; I like it when Rimmer gets to act against type and do something mildly heroic. And I liked several other bits about it too. The episode reminded me of Out of Time in many respects, actually.

Overall, I enjoyed this series. Only one or two eps were really good, but several others were entertaining enough and it was nice to see the crew back together. I do think they became progressively more relaxed in their roles as the series progressed.

I'd like an RDXI; fingers crossed! One thing I hope is that they dial down the number of continuity nods and plot homages/riffs on the original series and come up with some really sharp new gags & settings while maintaining consistency with the characters we all know. The nods & riffs in this series helped root it as Red Dwarf, which helped while the actors got back into their respective grooves, but now they're there again, let's see some fresh gags.

Also, I think Red Dwarf is best when it tries to actually tries to make a point, even if it does so in a silly/comedic way. Nearly every episode in Series 1-6 had a moral perspective; and RDX reintroduced this in several episodes (though not all). We need that to continue/be built upon. It anchors the episode in a way that some of series 7-8 lacked.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote