RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 434
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2012, 12:22 PM   #271
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

How come they keep redesigning the space corps uniform?

Yes. They redesign everything.

But it's almost as if we are seeing different universes' Red Dwarf each season rather than a consistent story about a single crew.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:42 PM   #272
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Cast interviews from the red carpet.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/video/v1...e-moments.html
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:57 PM   #273
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it.
Old October 5 2012, 04:48 PM   #274
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Oh, that was great. Red Dwarf, back where it belongs: Small cast, no huge dependence on special effects, and a live audience. The energy was there, a little slower perhaps by twenty-plus years of age, but it's like a GOOD older wine after spitting out three glasses of a bottle that's been sitting next to the water heater downstairs.

The design changed almost every year in the older run. I remember they justified most things without really dwelling on it. For example, Kryten's accident requiring him to be reconstructed, though that conflicts with later references to him having "always" looked like that. Or suddenly having a different quarters set, but acknowledging that they'd just moved into the officer's quarters - even though the corridors outside changed almost every year anyway. They've always had another set for stuff to happen in on the Dwarf, be it the drive room, science lab, and now apparently a bridge..? The Space Corps never stayed the same between episodes anyway, and they've already spoofed Trek uniforms anyway ("Holoship"), so why stop now?

Anyway, this first episode didn't leave the weird look on my face that Back to Earth's first episode did. I recently re-watched BTE in the run-up to this series and while a lot of the componenet for what made Red Dwarf great were there, it just doesn't work without a studio audience. Spending the latter two episodes on location just made it worse. Really looking forward to the rest of this series!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:53 PM   #275
Saul
Rear Admiral

Really good episode. Refreshing and back to the more comedic aspects of the show. Back to the style it was in visuals too. "Is he Swedish?" got a very loud laugh from me which was building up throughout. Can't wait for next week!
Ah, back to good BBC Sci-fi.... Doctor Who? Who?

As for the sets. I remember one of the reasons used for the change of appearance was that they were inhabiting different sections of the ship.
Old October 5 2012, 05:57 PM   #276
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Also have to say the guys may be 30 years older but damn they're looking good. If you look at RD1 they obviously look incredibly young but this time round they definitely don't look 30 years down the line. It gives hope to us all. OK Kryten has an advantage but the others don't.
Old October 5 2012, 09:00 PM   #277
Iamnotspock
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
How come they keep redesigning the space corps uniform?
Different areas of the Space Corps. We've seen the JMC uniform (S1&2), its parallel universe equivalent (Ouroborous), the standard uniform of a Holoship (Holoship) and probably several others I can't bring to mind right now. Also, the SC uniform would no doubt have been redesigned several times over the years, much like the Starfleet uniforms this one was spoofing; the Trojan outfit was likely just the "current" version at the time the ship was launched, which the Dwarfers presumably found aboard.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 09:11 PM   #278
inflatabledalek
Captain

What on Earth was wrong with the Kryten costume? Llewelyn doesn't look that different in real life to how he did when he made the last one, so why does the character look like he's got several spare tyres? Could they not make one that fitted? Both he and Rimmer looked like the photo Danny John-Jules must have in his loft.

Not a bad episode though, shame the post season 6 backlash has seen everything get turned back so far all character development from the moment Kryten joined the crew has been ignored, but there's some nice gags ("It's a moose") and unlike most of season VIII an attempt at a plot.

It was mildly odd to have Red Dwarf as part of a wider community with a fully functional space corp and all android shopping. Feels like a big departure from the days they'd run into an odd Gelf village every now and then. Despite a token "Last man alive" line it does feel like the original isolated alone in space format has been completely dropped now, even more than when they brought the crew back.

The whole thing was a bit Last of the Summer Wine as well, basically doing the same thing it always did in a nice and safe way to keep us old fuckers happy because we can't handle modern edgy comedy. Which isn't a bad thing at all, and it was a nice way to spend half an hour. It just makes me feel old that the cool comedy from when I was a teenager is now a Granddad in slippers.
Old October 5 2012, 10:36 PM   #279
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's probably that everytime they get back from a 3 or four year hiatus that they find most of their props/costumes, and the certainly sets, cannibalised and co-opted by other ventures trying to pad their budgets thinking that Red Dwarf has been cancelled... Which explains the Space Corps uniforms too.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:39 PM   #280
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Just got round to watching Trojan and have to say I really enjoyed it... series 7-9 were mostly pretty painful to watch (although they did have the odd gem). echoing what others have said, it felt like the earlier series of RD... even back to the series 3 style uniform Rimmer is now sporting (albeit blue because of his hard light drive).
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:48 PM   #281
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the overnight figures are in

1.46m a 6.3% share. Making it the second most watched show ever on Dave, second only to RD: BTE.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:16 AM   #282
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well the overnight figures are in

1.46m a 6.3% share. Making it the second most watched show ever on Dave, second only to RD: BTE.
Good news. Its nice to have the boys back.

I enjoyed it as well. Nothing life changing mind you, but a nice bit of fun. Of course any show that DOESN'T make me feel stupider for having watched it is a success.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:35 AM   #283
MacLeod
Admiral

Of course that doesn't include the timeshift viewers, which pushes it up to around 1.53m and any that watched it on either the 23:20 or 00:20 repat and DVR viewers. So the number can only go up.

In comparrisson ITV pulled in around a 2.6m for the 21:00 slot.

Though those are only the oovernights. But to get within a million or so of one of the major TV stations should be considered good.

Though the question is can it maintain that level of viewership.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:49 AM   #284
Saul
Rear Admiral

Hopefully the strong opening episode and good word of mouth will keep those ratings.
Old October 6 2012, 02:49 PM   #285
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Is it just me that was kind of dissapointed? I mean it had some really funny bits, but it kind of felt like I was watching craig charles try to be lister. Instead of just watching lister in the old ones.

Maybe I expected too much, or maybe it's because they're new to working with eachother again infront of the audience. Maybe it'll get better with the other episodes. Still watched it 3 times though!

Also, am I the only one who thought the "bridge" set just looked like Starbug's cockpit? That was kind of confusing. When I saw the promo pic of it I thought it was Starbug. I want the drive room back! And Holly

Hey ho, pip and dandy.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote