Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 28 2014, 02:02 AM   #1456
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Aldo wrote: View Post
I dunno, the completest in me is saying "get it." Is it worth going through at least once?
There are a couple of quality episodes, but mostly it'll just make you love season 5 that much more.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 03:33 AM   #1457
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I did not enjoy tonight's episode, it felt like a season 4 episode, it was just there. I do love the teachers begin part of the show now, makes it so much better being some of the characters are missing. I'm shockingly not missing Troy that much.
Old February 28 2014, 06:33 PM   #1458
tighr
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
“30 Rock” Ended is not the same as cancelled.
“The Office” Ending is not the same as cancelled.
I feel like you wooshed over my post, which specifically said some of those shows were ended not cancelled.

Basically I just copied and pasted the list of NBC shows from the link.
Old February 28 2014, 06:42 PM   #1459
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I did not enjoy tonight's episode, it felt like a season 4 episode, it was just there. I do love the teachers begin part of the show now, makes it so much better being some of the characters are missing. I'm shockingly not missing Troy that much.
Yeah. It was a weird episode.
Though I did like old guy trying to punish Abed, because I agree, it feels like he doesn't face consequences for his behavior. Or it could be I'm getting really annoyed with the same old same old from Abed.

I think in real life, I wouldn't want to be around him for very long. He would annoy the crap out of me.
Old March 1 2014, 12:22 AM   #1460
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I liked the episode. I don't think it's anything like season 4, it was very introspective about Abed and Britta's characters. In some ways it was critical of Abed and Troy's relationship, casting Troy as an enabler. So when Troy is taken away Abed attempts to bully people into indulging his fantasy and ends up having to reach out on somebody else's terms.

It was a weird episode because, other than Chang's part of it, it wasn't a comedy episode. It was a drama episode, and the show's never really done an episode like that where it didn't go for comedy bits and just developed the characters' emotional state. The bit where Britta meets all her old anarchist friends and they judge her for not being financially successful was very well written, but it wasn't funny.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 02:05 AM   #1461
shivkala
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I liked the episode. I don't think it's anything like season 4, it was very introspective about Abed and Britta's characters. In some ways it was critical of Abed and Troy's relationship, casting Troy as an enabler. So when Troy is taken away Abed attempts to bully people into indulging his fantasy and ends up having to reach out on somebody else's terms.
I did like the episode. It's not one of my favorites, but it's streets ahead of most of Season 4. Seeing Duncan pass up on Britta was a great decision.

It was a drama episode, and the show's never really done an episode like that where it didn't go for comedy bits and just developed the characters' emotional state. The bit where Britta meets all her old anarchist friends and they judge her for not being financially successful was very well written, but it wasn't funny.
I don't know, Season 2's "Mixology's Certification" was similar. Sure we had Pierce in the wheel chair trying to get into the bar, but that typified the humor of the episode, where its more awkward than laugh-out-loud funny.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 04:11 AM   #1462
Aldo
Admiral

I enjoyed this episode too. And I'm glad the writers are going out of their way to restore Britta's intelligence somewhat after she was dumbed down a lot in Seeason 4.

I was kind of disappointed that Annie and Shirley had nothing to do, but then I found it funny that they actually commented on that fact. Also I was disappointed that it was the second episode in a row where Jeff took a backseat to the other characters, but at least his function in this episode was more important then the previous one.

One last thing, I lost it when they focused into the old time picture and we were at first meant to think Chang was a ghost until it showed us the caption. I also thought the stinger was funny too, I mean how many of us have mistakenly assumed we were being invited out to eat when someone asks us about a restaurant.
Old March 1 2014, 07:19 AM   #1463
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
“30 Rock” Ended is not the same as cancelled.
“The Office” Ending is not the same as cancelled.
I feel like you wooshed over my post, which specifically said some of those shows were ended not cancelled.

Basically I just copied and pasted the list of NBC shows from the link.
If I upset you so much, why are you still dancing?

Sorry.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:56 PM   #1464
Mr Light
Admiral

I really liked the Abed / Breaking Bad's Mike interaction in tonight's episode.

I barely noticed a difference with Season Four. It was fine.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:18 AM   #1465
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Wow. I love this episode, I've tossed around script ideas for this concept, I'm glad the Community writers got the same idea. This is so a comic exaggeration of where our culture is headed.
Old March 7 2014, 02:26 AM   #1466
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Even for a show like Community, this is just over the top and insane to me.

I only laughed once, at the "I'm a security guard, I use weapons as weapons".
Old March 7 2014, 02:38 AM   #1467
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. I loved the little nods to "Logan's Run" and the "Planet Of The Apes" series. Starburns in the "Zardoz" outfit was both horrifying and hilarious.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:34 AM   #1468
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'll admit it was a little bit on the side of over the top, but not enough to prevent it from being a great episode. It's true that some other weird episodes justify their weirdness by keeping a spiritual connection to reality. I think the futuristic decor was a mistake, because without that futuristic decor it would have never lost that connection.

But, I'm not sure if they could have had the same satirical edge if they didn't go over the top. Because that's exactly the implications of a culture where everybody's first impression of somebody is the simplified democratic opinion of them.

What the episode could have used is a few small reminders of reality. Like, the paintball episode had that line from Shirley "I'm going home Britta! No, I mean, I'm really going home. Help me up?" A few subtle reminders of reality could have made the episode seem less over the top.
Old March 7 2014, 04:48 AM   #1469
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

What the episode could have used is a few small reminders of reality. Like, the paintball episode had that line from Shirley "I'm going home Britta! No, I mean, I'm really going home. Help me up?" A few subtle reminders of reality could have made the episode seem less over the top.
That would have helped but it was also towards the end of the episode and outside the college building there was barb wire and it was just too much for me.
Old March 7 2014, 05:00 AM   #1470
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

It wasn't any worse than the zombie episode in that regard. And if you're a regular watcher of the show and you're still having issues with the show going over the deep end on a semi-regular basis, you have only yourself to blame. Cause it sure as hell isn't some new phenomenon.