Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 31 2014, 04:56 AM   #1426
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

At the bottom of the news broadcast Hickey's watching:

"BREAKING NEWS: Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion captured by pirates in the Gulf of Mexico."

Old January 31 2014, 06:19 AM   #1427
Aldo
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Wow. Looks like Dan Harmon doesn't hate everything that season 4 did, he just hated that it was never followed up on.

That was a good episode but not as good as the previous few. I think they tried to do too many stories at the same time. I like the way they're using Chang now.
I'll agree to that, too much going on meant that a few of the characters were going to get sidelined, and in this case it felt like Shirley and Jeff were barely there.

I loved the storyline with Britta and Abed, though maybe the idea behind their storyline was funnier than the execution: we've all been there, been spoiled by a friend so we wanted to get them back tenfold.

And it was interesting they followed up with the coat check girl, that's actually one of the few episodes of Season 4 I have seen, so it was nice to see it followed up on.

Quick question, though I think I already know the answer to this: Is the "gas leak" an attempt by Harmon to explain why everything was "off" last year?

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
At the bottom of the news broadcast Hickey's watching:

"BREAKING NEWS: Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion captured by pirates in the Gulf of Mexico."

I can't believe I didn't catch that! Doesn't surprise me though, I missed Abed's whole background adventure with the pregnant woman in "The Psychology of Letting Go."

I wonder if they're going to do a similar thing with Troy's off-screen adventure by giving us updates in every new episode this season?
Old January 31 2014, 06:39 AM   #1428
Anwar
Vice Admiral

What's the song that was playing at the dance?
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 07:53 PM   #1429
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I don't think it's so much that Dan Harmon liked the coat check girl, so much as he hated the way they would have Abed cross one of his core emotional barriers only to forget it ever happened the next day.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 01:05 AM   #1430
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Did I miss whatever happened to Troy's thing as the messiah of air conditioning repair? That was a Harmon thing... I mean sure, Troy's gone, but last night's awesomeness seemed to be tempered by all these people who SHOULD be up on Troy's departure basically ignoring the whole issue.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 01:32 AM   #1431
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Did I miss whatever happened to Troy's thing as the messiah of air conditioning repair? That was a Harmon thing... I mean sure, Troy's gone, but last night's awesomeness seemed to be tempered by all these people who SHOULD be up on Troy's departure basically ignoring the whole issue.

Mark
They are janitors and such, not plumbing.

And I can't remember but didn't Troy pick neither?
Old February 1 2014, 01:54 AM   #1432
Mr Light
Admiral

That's awesome that they got Nathan Fillion for a one scene cameo!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 03:32 AM   #1433
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Troy only agreed to be their messiah if they agreed to become more like a normal school. Then he graduated. I would guess they said their goodbyes at the end of season 4.
Old February 2 2014, 12:25 AM   #1434
Aldo
Admiral

So I finally got season 3 on DVD and watched the first three episodes. While the first two were pretty good, I think 'Remedial Chaos Theory' has to be my favorite Community episode so far.

It really made me think too. We take it for granted, but at any one moment we have several options of what to do next, and any one of those decisions could result in a (as the episode showed us) wildly different outcomes.
Old February 2 2014, 05:12 AM   #1435
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Disappointed with the last episode, felt like a backslide to season 4 with the characters acting dumb (Bear down), unimaginative plot (Corkboard bureaucracy) and tropes done poorly (Britta spoiling Abed).
Old February 2 2014, 05:40 AM   #1436
Aldo
Admiral

^^^^

It definitely was the weakest of the season so far. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't really care for the way Jeff was underused in this episode (Shirley didn't bother me too much, since she has always been underutilized it seems).

I still think Britta and Abed's storyline was the best, not only did it have a nice callback to one of the few things that Season 4 did right (Abed connecting with a female), I still find the idea of Britta going to great lengths to spoil Abed on the tv show as humorous in theory (execution might have been lacking though).

I didn't mention it before, but it was nice to see Paget Brewster return to comedy again after being a regular on Criminal Minds for so long.
Old February 2 2014, 05:06 PM   #1437
Avalon
Captain

Shoot, I forgot this was on.
Old February 2 2014, 06:38 PM   #1438
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

It was definitely the worst episode of the season so far, but it was still better than a season 4 episode because they addressed Abed in an emotionally real way.

And I definitely agree that the bear party was by far the worst part of the episode. I don't understand why they tried to tell three stories at the same time. The bulletin board bureaucracy was a great idea, but they didn't commit to it so all it turned into was a "Cascade of favors" trope (Which, BTW, they did this week in Parks & Rec too).

For this episode to work, they should have made the bureaucracy story the A plot, the Brita/Abed thing the B plot, gotten other characters involved in the A plot and stylized it more.
Old February 3 2014, 03:22 AM   #1439
the G-man
Commodore

I agree with those of you who mentioned that the Britta and Abed storyline was the best of the week. That being said I like the way Nichols has been integrated into the group
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 04:50 AM   #1440
Tosk
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
I agree with those of you who mentioned that the Britta and Abed storyline was the best of the week. That being said I like the way Nichols has been integrated into the group
Nichols?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote