RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,692
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 713
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 3 2013, 07:47 PM   #1171
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Dan Harmon has revealed that Chris McKenna will be returning to the show with the role of co-showrunner, which is excellent news. Harmon also claims that he has not watched any of season 4 and that Sony have suggested him recording a DVD commentary track of his first viewing of the season. That sounds like a really interesting idea, but on the other hand it has the potential to be really awkward.
Sounds like Sony just wants to move some season 4 DVD's. It would be interesting if he were to be really honest, and probably ackward too, as you say, but I don't think he would be totally honest. That would be like gloating or going out of your way to take shots at people. Ultimately there isn't any point in this unless he just wants to help Sony out.
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:03 PM   #1172
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It's going to be interesting to see how he reacts to season 4. He has to on screen because he either has to say season 4 was a dream or continue on from it. So we will see his views of season 4 no matter what.
Old June 3 2013, 08:25 PM   #1173
tighr
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Harmon also claims that he has not watched any of season 4 and that Sony have suggested him recording a DVD commentary track of his first viewing of the season. That sounds like a really interesting idea, but on the other hand it has the potential to be really awkward.
Depending on what reviews say (and who are we kidding, AVclub or some website will undoubtedly review the commentary tracks), I would be interested in hearing what he has to say.
Old June 3 2013, 10:35 PM   #1174
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Good news about Harmon...hopefully he is the key to getting the show back on track, we'll have to wait and see.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:31 AM   #1175
Sci
Admiral

Having completely lost interest in Community last year, I'm happy to hear that Harmon's coming back.

It'll be interesting to see how Harmon handles S4. One of the things I like about him is that he makes a real effort to get into others' heads, even when he doesn't necessarily like them much. He once said -- I am paraphrasing from my memory of Harmon's Reddit AMA, IIRC -- of Chevy Chase that he found his insistence on fighting to be acknowledged and respected to be inspirational, the best thing about him, and to be the chief virtue of Chase's that they'd tried to bring to Pierce. So Harmon is a guy who can emphasize with people even when you'd think he couldn't. He may well take a far less harsh view of S4 than many think. (I say, having seen only four episodes of S4.)
Old June 4 2013, 12:52 AM   #1176
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I have to admit I stopped watching halfway through last season as well. There were a few eps (like the Halloween one) that still felt like the old Community, but too many were just completely off, or came across more like spoofs (like the dreadful puppet ep).

I had kind of made peace with not watching the show anymore, but I guess if Harmon is back I'll have to reconsider that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:19 PM   #1177
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Yeah. I hope they don't do that. I didn't like Season 4 and actually stopped watching. But that sorta sounds like a douchey thing to do. What if Harmon really hates it? I would hope he doesn't crap on the writers, that would be douchey of him. But, I don't want to hear him try to be nice...
I have to agree, it's something that sounds interesting in theory but which would probably end up pretty bad. There are certain points in season 4 (such as the various darkest timeline bits) where he's either going to have to feign politeness or tear into the show, and both of those would be uncomfortable to listen to.

His take on Basic Human Anatomy would be nice though as that was a genuinely good episode. I would encourage anyone that jumped ship during season 4 to give that episode a watch.
Old June 4 2013, 11:52 PM   #1178
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I don't think Harmon would be a dick about it, but he would offer criticisms where they're due.

It'd be interesting to see but I wouldn't buy the DVDs just for it.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 06:37 AM   #1179
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Found this great interview of Joel McHale on the Howard Stern Show. I'd say the first third of the interview is mostly about The Soup, but they do get into discussion of Community eventually, namely, Chevy.

Joel goes into detail about Chevy's time on the show including the n-word incident, and Chevy in general. Howard and Chevy always had a contentious relationship (which Howard says has been repaired), and he is fascinated by Chevy's weirdness. They also get into a small discussion about Dan Harmon but nothing new is revealed.

Joel is a funny guy and Howard is a great interviewer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J90B80fzPHE
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 04:44 AM   #1180
shivkala
Rear Admiral

A friend just asked me if there was any worthwhile episodes from season 4. They were a fan of the first 3 seasons, but didn't watch it this past season.

In my opinion, I'd say that "Conventions of Space and Time" (she's a Doctor Who fan), ""Herstory of Dance," and "Basic Human Anatomy" were pretty decent (not great, but decent).

I'm on the fence about "Heroic Origins" and "Advanced Introduction to Finality." On one hand, I'm a sucker for interconnected origins (yes, I loved Lost, in part for seeing how everyone was connected) and it was nice to see a continuation of the darkest timeline story. On the other hand, "Heroic Origins" seemed forced and "Advanced Introduction to Finality" killed the darkest timeline in a way that possibly ruins "Remedial Chaos Theory."

I guess this partly depends on what Harmon will or won't use from season 4, but aside from episodes that might tie into next season, on a pure entertainment, non-meta level, did I miss anything from this season that's watchable? Did I include anything that doesn't belong? And how do you guys feel about the last two episodes of the season as far as recommending to a fan of seasons 1-3?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 08:35 AM   #1181
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The whole "Evil Timeline" thing was (most likely) just some random thought of Abeds' rather than some real thing. And what we saw in the S4 Finale was just some fantasy of Jeffs', not Abed. So if they want to continue they can just have what was going on in Abeds' head compared to Jeff.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:57 PM   #1182
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Come to think of it, why did they go the 'Dream' route instead of the 'Abed got the group to agree to do a movie about the darkest timeline' route?!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:27 AM   #1183
Anwar
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Come to think of it, why did they go the 'Dream' route instead of the 'Abed got the group to agree to do a movie about the darkest timeline' route?!
Some nice character growth for Jeff that he would make an indulgence like that, especially since Abed's own growth has been about him slowly being better at non-geek interactions with the Group.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:34 AM   #1184
Goji
Rear Admiral

I thought the Halloween episode was fun. I liked the Christmas episode, mostly because I rather like Malcolm McDowell. The origins episode was alright. I don't really remember most of the others any more, but then there are plenty I've forgotten from the first few seasons too.
Old July 9 2013, 03:11 AM   #1185
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Less Troy in season 5...

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote