RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 550
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 18 2011, 07:38 PM   #46
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

^ That will work...Troy Vs The Sinister Six is just a working title at this point. I forgot that Britta is Gwen Stacy. Both Annie and Britta aren't really in it that much.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 08:20 PM   #47
J.T.B.
Commodore

I have now given up on that show after barely chuckling at the last two episodes. I really liked the first season, but the second year has been pretty disappointing. The funny quirks of the characters have become locked-in and tedious. The moments that are supposed to be bittersweet seem forced. The obnoxious over-confident Chang has become pathetic. Writing "meta" gimmicks seems to have replaced just being funny. 30 Rock is still the class of the night, with Parks and Recreation a strong second. But Community has lost me.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 08:27 PM   #48
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I still think we're in for a major shake up among the study group at some point during this season. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that Dan Hammon has a plan. I hope we have as strong a finish as last season did, and Annie and Jeff are finally resolved so we can move on because I'm tired of being continually teased lol.

Old February 18 2011, 08:41 PM   #49
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

What a great episode!! The Firefly reference trumps the Trek reference and that was fine with me, but you gotta love Levar.. What a class guy..
Old February 18 2011, 08:47 PM   #50
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

His scene with Britta was awesome.

Old February 19 2011, 07:51 PM   #51
Snaploud
Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I have now given up on that show after barely chuckling at the last two episodes. I really liked the first season, but the second year has been pretty disappointing. The funny quirks of the characters have become locked-in and tedious. The moments that are supposed to be bittersweet seem forced. The obnoxious over-confident Chang has become pathetic. Writing "meta" gimmicks seems to have replaced just being funny. 30 Rock is still the class of the night, with Parks and Recreation a strong second. But Community has lost me.

--Justin
I think season 2 has been much stronger than season 1. *shrugs*
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2011, 08:13 PM   #52
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Old February 19 2011, 08:39 PM   #53
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That was maybe the best part of the episode. Troy's breakdown was really well done obviously what Pierce was going for as part of his revenge scheme.

Old February 20 2011, 08:00 PM   #54
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

This season has done a great job at getting me to not really care for or enjoy the characters I enjoyed hanging out with in season 1.

It seems that they have no real reason to hang out with each other than they are the ones cast in the show. Most of the time they don't even like each other.

It's starting to lose me, despite the few great moments such as the Troy breaking down scene being probably my favourite Community moment ever.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 08:08 PM   #55
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well they are an exclusive study group. As close as they are all, they probably don't really know each other that well at all. They're still discovering things about each other just as we are as an audience. As for not liking each other, I wouldn't say that. The group dynamic is definitely changed through various discoveries.

Old February 20 2011, 11:51 PM   #56
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I dunno, Shirley does NOT trust any of them and loves to lord over her false superiority, while the others seem like they can't stand that of her.

Pierce is now pure villain.

Britta seems to get on their nerves with her self righteousness and Annie's so naive that the others seem to have no problems taking advantage of that. And Jeff can take or leave any one of them, and would probably be happier without them (despite having the desire to stick around if only to fix their mistakes, ie, he knows they're losers and thinks they can't function without them).

No a lot to admire in the group. Troy and Abed are the only two with a genuine friendship.

Yeah, the group dynamic is changing. But for the worse, as they discover how much of a self-serving jerk most of them really are.
Old February 21 2011, 12:47 AM   #57
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
And Jeff can take or leave any one of them, and would probably be happier without them (despite having the desire to stick around if only to fix their mistakes, ie, he knows they're losers and thinks they can't function without them).

It was a pretty major plot point in the episode immediately before this one that Jeff has discovered that he does in fact need these people, and misses them when they're not around.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 02:01 AM   #58
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if Jeff missed them because he values their friendship, though, or that it strokes his ego knowing he can solve all of the "children's" little problems.
Old February 21 2011, 02:19 AM   #59
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Remember that Jeff is also taking lessons on how to be a nice guy from Rich lol. This is probably a progression of that teaching! Pierce has always been an ass hole and now even more so since he's been on the pain medication. He's selfish and doesn't like being left out of the group. Britta has annoyed them since the first season with her self righteousness ultimately that's an side effect of her trying to be a good person. Annie naivety has been addressed on multiple occasions...Jeff's even yelled at her for it on a couple of occasions.

The thing about these characters are that their flaws are what brings them together. Troy and Abed have the one true genuine friendship that's true, they're the heart and soul of the group but the others realize that they're better when they're around each other.

Old February 21 2011, 02:23 AM   #60
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if Jeff missed them because he values their friendship, though, or that it strokes his ego knowing he can solve all of the "children's" little problems.

Only if we trust that Jeff was lying to the group (or deluding himself). Here's what he said:

“It might not shock you guys to hear the real reason we had a fight today. It wasn’t about the Barenaked Ladies, although I do have some unresolved issues there. Caring about a person can be scary. Caring about six people can be a horrifying, embarrassing nightmare. At least for me. But if I can’t say it today, when can I say it? I love you guys. Oh and Pierce, take it from an expert. These knuckleheads are right outside your heart. Let them in. Before it’s too late.”
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote