Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 3 2014, 12:25 PM   #1711
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile
Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

You should be getting to "Basic Human Anatomy" soon. That's one of Season 4`s best, IMO.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 03:49 PM   #1712
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I don't disagree with you on any of the points you brought up. In fact in a youtube video I am very fond of ("Everything that's wrong with Season 4"), one of the points that is brought up is the fact that the gang just leaves Pierce in the woods as if it's no big deal.
My Google-fu is failing me this morning. Do you have a direct link to that video?

"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 04:58 PM   #1713
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

^Yeah, I searched for it, too and couldn't find it.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 11:24 PM   #1714
Aldo
Admiral

It's actually called 'Community Season 4: What happened?'

If you're interested, here's a direct link to the video:

He brings up some good points, but the audio is pretty crummy, so you may need to turn down your speakers if you have them up.

Last edited by Aldo; August 4 2014 at 03:32 AM.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 03:32 AM   #1715
Aldo
Admiral

"Intro to Knots"

I just watched this and I want to post my thoughts before reading the A.V. Club's review lest it taints my reaction:

This was a nice change of pace after the Puppet episode in that it was actually pretty decent. It also has the advantage of being another Season 4 episode I saw when it was first broadcast so I was able to enjoy the episode already knowing what came next. The real stand out for me this episode was the stinger with the darkest timeline. When I first heard that Season 4 expanded on that concept I was a bit skeptical, but I really enjoyed seeing one armed Jeff getting Annie released from the insane asylum, and I can't wait for the finale where they develop it even more (and yes, I realize it's all a dream, but it's still interesting to me).

Something that didnt' really occur to me until a few episdoes ago, this season is sorely lacking in the Troy/Abed dynamic. Pairing Troy off with Britta kind of robbed us of that and Troy/Britta isn't even that good of a substitute. Speaking of Troy and Abed I'm really missing seeing scenes taking place at their and Annie's apartment. I mean if someone was watching Community starting with this season it would be very easy to miss the fact that the three of them live together. Unless there's more in future episodes, the only time I saw any hint that she lived there was in the first episode (which was my favorite part of that episode: Britta trying to hide her relationship with Troy from Abed).
Old August 4 2014, 01:29 PM   #1716
shivkala
Rear Admiral

It's actually called 'Community Season 4: What happened?'

If you're interested, here's a direct link to the video:

He brings up some good points, but the audio is pretty crummy, so you may need to turn down your speakers if you have them up.
Thanks. You're right, that about summed up my feelings about the season!

"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 11:55 PM   #1717
Aldo
Admiral

So I just watched 'Basic Human Anatomy.' I'd probably be done with the season by now if I wasn't stretching it out so I can jump straight into Season 5 when I buy it tomorrow.

What I really liked about this episode the most is it had a lot of heart, something that's been lacking this season. It was also nice for them to finally shine a spotlight on Troy and Britta's relationship, something we've only really glimpsed here and there. It was nice that they never once tried to pretend that they actually switched bodies, but the whole group went along with it anyways, and I really liked seeing the real reason we saw the two switch bodies, to deal with Britta.

Dean pretending to switch bodies with Jeff was probably the highlight, even if that subplot didnt' really go anywhere. Unfortunately it seems that even Jim Rash gets Annie wrong, I wonder if it was a mandate to write her more like her season 1 self and ignoring all her growth through season 3, but oh well. Only two more episodes to go and then I can get into Season 5.
Old August 5 2014, 03:37 AM   #1718
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I just can't help but crack up whenever Annie suddenly finds herself falling for the Dean but can't explain why.

I really liked the darkest timeline stuff in Season 4. I felt like, while Jeff & the study group had always accepted each other, "Advanced Introduction to Finality" was the sign that he was finally 100% one of them.

While I'm not big on the "Changnesia" storyline, I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit.
Overall, it's one of my least favorite episodes of the series. But I do love Jeff's conclusion at the end that Chang pretending to not be Chang anymore is probably the sanest decision he could make.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I just watched Repilot again. I love the way Harmon uses it to comment on the course of the series.

"Britta, you came here an eclectic anarchist, how did you become the group's airhead?"
"We all came here real people, and we turned into exaggerated cartoon characters!"
I think it's unfair for Harmon to blame Britta's development on Season 4. This was already a major problem with the character in Season 3 ever since "Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps." Even though Britta was pretty well in character in that episode, it started this offensively disrespectful attitude towards her from the other characters that eventually spread to Britta herself.

shivkala wrote: View Post
The whole "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"/"As I Lay Me Down" debate reminded me of seasons 1-3 Community. Also, having Pierce do something nice for one of the study group was touching.
Agreed. As a big Britta fan, that was one of my favorite episodes. (And I owe a big debt to that episode because I'd never heard of Sophie B. Hawkins before that episode. Now I'm a big fan.)

I did end up watching it today, and I can't really add anything that hasn't been said. I do really like how Pierce got a bit to do actually, it seems like so far he's just been around. Which I've a feeling the writers have no idea what to write for him because of how difficult he can be. I have a feeling Harmon was able to put up with him more, probably because Harmon comes off as a dick at times too.
I doubt it. I suspect it was just a matter of gradual decay. But I certainly wouldn't blame the writers for neglecting Pierce in the writing stage. Why bother making any effort writing him good material if there's only a 50-50 chance that he'll even bother shooting it?

Frankly, I'm still not sure why they brought him back for Season 3 when they had a perfect out for him at the end of Season 2. I don't think anyone really wanted him back that badly. (Unless the NBC execs were desperate to keep his name recognition to promote the series to older viewers.)
Old August 5 2014, 05:10 AM   #1719
Aldo
Admiral

I could blame Season 4 on Pierce's decline, but you're right. He was already on the outs in Season 3, it just wasn't as noticeable because the writing for him was still there.

So I watched the last two episodes of the season back to back. More to get ready for Season 5 tomorrow, and also just to get it over with (I don't hate Season 4, but I'll get to my feelings on it as a whole in a bit).

'Heroic Origins'

This episode was really fun, though it did start out a little slow (at least for me), and the ending with "fake" Pierce took me out of the episode a bit, but I really liked what they were going for, showing us that the Study group was always meant to be, and I loved how 'Don't You Forget about Me' was playing over the final scene, I'm always a sucker for that song.

'Advanced Introductions to Finality'

I mentioned earlier on that I was looking forward to this episode because it dealt more with the Darkest Timeline, and I wasn't disappointed, well kind of. I felt the third act with paintball was pretty weak, even with the cute line: "We found a way to make Paint Ball cool again." When it wasn't really "not cool" in the first place. Not to mention the scenes involving the evil Study group hunting the good study group down didn't even come close to the other two (or three I suppose) Paintball episodes.

So a few thoughts on Season 4: I never cared for Annie in this season, she had a few good moments (especially towards the end) but I never really saw her as the same character that she was in the other seasons. Pierce either, though I'll blame that one on Chase and give the show runners a break on this point. He wasn't interested in being there and you were right: Borgified Corpse, that lead to the writers really not being able to write for him.

Also, I wrote down the names of the episodes that I enjoyed and I am surprised to see that out of the 13 episodes I can say that I really enjoyed 9 of them, that's too bad actually. But (and yeah, I'm going there) this isn't Harmon's Community, and while I know I should judge the episodes on their merits (and I am) it's just hard to get by the fact that the show is a shadow of itself. And I know while a lot of people can name several episodes from Harmon's show that they dislike, I can't say I dislike a single episode. There might be some here or there that I find weaker, but I always find something to enjoy (I'll put that to the test when I rewatch Season 5's 'App Development and Condiments' an episode that I struggled to make it through the first time I watched it.
Old August 5 2014, 06:11 PM   #1720
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

There's only a handful of Harmon episodes I can say I dislike. The episode with Troy's grandmother, the episode with those teenagers that ended up with Jeff and Britta going 'DUUUHHHHH' for hours, the episode where Pierce dates that Asian woman who turns out to be a competitor to Hawthrone wipes. 81/84 is a pretty damn good ratio, of course. Also I might add First Chang Dynasty just because of how ridiculous it is but it's hard not to watch it because it's the culmination of major storylines.

There are a few episodes in season 4 I thought were decent but I don't have any reason to watch it again just because there's so much entertainment out there and no reason to spend my time on stuff that doesn't stand out as unique.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:19 AM   #1721
Aldo
Admiral

So with Season 5 out yesterday I quickly purchased it and binge watched the whole thing in one day. Not that I really intended to, but I had nothing going on so I figured what the hell. And then today since I had even less going on I went back through the entire thing, this time listening to the commentaries.

Season 5 to me is a mixed bag, one that I ultimately enjoy though. the 13 episode season really hurt Harmon (he explains as much in the commentary) and the whole story-line of Jeff being a teacher never really gets explored as much as it could, though 'Intro to Teaching' is a great episode, it's just too bad we couldn't have gotten more of what it promised.

The high concept episodes work great for me, I love both 'G.I. Jeff and the Lava episode." Both having great poignancy being that one is Troy's final episode and the other deals with Jeff confronting his age. The one episode I was most worried about rewatching was "App Development and Condiments" just because I felt it got too far away from reality. But the second viewing I accepted that the whole school just let things go too far and I enjoyed it on that level, plus it's a strong episode for Shirley, who unfortunately doesn't get an awful lot to do.

The two part finale is another favorite of mine, though I can understand why people dislike it. It does kind of stretch credibility a bit to suggest there's a portion of the school that no one knows about. Ultimately I enjoyed it and part of it is the Jeff/Annie moment (I admit it, I'm a shipper) which is a nice subtle nod to their ongoing "thing" without being overt about it.

It's great to have Harmon back, and knowing we're getting a Season 6 I can overlook a lot of my criticisms I had (because he had them too) so knowing that I have every confidence in him to not make those mistakes again and deliver a much stronger Season that will (hopefully) lead into the movie.
Old August 7 2014, 01:36 AM   #1722
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I see the two part finale as the show making fun of itself.

Like, they start off with the idea that they fixed the show and made it less crazy, meaning they accomplished everything they wanted to do with the 'Save Greendale Committee', and we see Abed trying to find a fun story in what's become a normal school.

Then, they find out the school is going to be sold off. Jeff and Britta start to accept it and move on, accepting normalcy, and right at that moment Abed and Annie come in yelling "TREASURE!!!!" And it turns into probably the most absurd story we've seen in the show. It sort of comments on the way the show can be equally comfortable being realistic and being ridiculous.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 02:56 AM   #1723
Aldo
Admiral

Like I said, the moment where Jeff's feelings for Annie really go a long way to sell the episode for me. Plus I love the song that plays when the secret door is opening, and I love the School board guy thinking he has ESP and trying to read Hickey's mind.

Ah hell you know what? I'm just going to say I love the finale, especially Abed's fourth wall breaking moment telling everyone that the school is going to be destroyed by an asteroid if there is no season 6.
Old August 28 2014, 02:50 AM   #1724
Aldo
Admiral

News about Season 6 is still slow going in these early stages, but at least one piece of news has come out and it's awesome, apparently the Russo's will be returning to direct the Season 6 opener:

Replied Anthony, “We will be returning. We're going to do the first episode [of Season 6] for those guys. We're going to have a little fun with that episode. [Community executive producers] Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna are cooking up something very cool for us...”
Full story here.

Also there is a small (but vocal) part of fandom that is convinced Alison Brie won't be returning. I personally think they're making a mountain out of a mole hill, but some people will read something into anything (incidentally the reason these rumors are gaining traction is because Alison is pretty aloof when it comes to be talking about the sixth season of Community).
Old August 28 2014, 03:12 PM   #1725
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Also there is a small (but vocal) part of fandom that is convinced Alison Brie won't be returning. I personally think they're making a mountain out of a mole hill, but some people will read something into anything (incidentally the reason these rumors are gaining traction is because Alison is pretty aloof when it comes to be talking about the sixth season of Community).
While I'm not exactly believing that I am fully ready to believe it. Alison Brie is arguably a bigger star at this point than Donald Glover, so after his departure she was always going to be next. I think in an earlier season commentary Chevy said she was "the only real film star" out of the young cast members and...he's probably right. She's gorgeous and talented and I'm not sure her career would want to move over from Network TV to Yahoo Screen.

On the flipside though, her departure would irrevocably hurt the show. Donald leaving "hurt" Abed, but being a former loner who found a best friend who then left was a character arc that brought Abed full circle. Alison leaving robs the main character of his love interest, which me being a Jeff/Britta shipper wouldn't have minded but the last episode's finale hinged on Jeff's love for Annie, so her just not being there is going to do some real damage.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote