Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 29 2014, 04:20 AM   #1681
Aldo
Admiral

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Well I finally finished going through the first three seasons again, so that means...I finally watched my first Season 4 episode: 'History 101.'

I'm a fan of Todd's write ups over at the A.V. club, he recommends looking at Season 4 as a new show and judging it on those merits, because in a way it is. While watching the first episode it's really hard to do that, this is my favorite show on television (now streaming, I guess) and watching the characters I know and love acting "off" was just painful. I have a few friends who say there are some decent episodes, and I know you guys have said similar things, so I won't write it off after one episode, I'm going to solider through, and there were a few bits I liked:

-I really liked the homage to the Muppet Babies

Shoot, I suppose that's all I really liked about the episode. I thought the sitcom scenes in Abed's head fell flat, though the idea that he'd get upset when he found out it was the study groups last year at school worked for me. I thought the Hunger Games plot was awful though.
Old July 29 2014, 04:35 AM   #1682
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I couldn't get through that episode the second time. I agree the Muppet Babies reference was the high point, but that doesn't make up for that episode's declaration "We have decided the Dean is defined by flamboyant behavior and lusting after Jeff so we're taking that to an extreme and removing all other aspects of his character".
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 05:36 AM   #1683
Aldo
Admiral

I watched the second episode: "Paranormal Parentage."

While it had a bit of a rough start, I actually found myself enjoying the episode quite a bit, especially when they split up and did the whole 'Scooby Doo' thing. What I didn't care for though was the random shout out to past episodes, it just reminded me of how good the show used to be and also felt like "Hey remember that time we did that thing? This is the same show!"

Despite that though, I'm going to say this was a fun episode. While the characters more or less felt like themselves, Alison Brie seems like she's playing someone else entirely. Annie's characterization is much better this time out than in the first episode, but she still feels off.
Old July 29 2014, 06:48 AM   #1684
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

Aldo wrote: View Post
I watched the second episode: "Paranormal Parentage."

While it had a bit of a rough start, I actually found myself enjoying the episode quite a bit, especially when they split up and did the whole 'Scooby Doo' thing. What I didn't care for though was the random shout out to past episodes, it just reminded me of how good the show used to be and also felt like "Hey remember that time we did that thing? This is the same show!"
Yeah, they do that throughout Season 4. It's as though they knew they couldn't live up to the previous seasons, so they just kept referencing them.

But there are some decent episodes in Season 4.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 05:53 PM   #1685
Aldo
Admiral

Just watched "Conventions of Space and Time."

My good will from the previous episode is gone. I really tried to enjoy this episode but I didn't laugh once. I smiled a few times, and I enjoyed seeing Annie fawning over Jeff, even if it seemed like she moved on the previous season. I did like the opening where Britta left Troy's room to knock on the front door. Although that was one of the few parts I remembered from when I watched this episode originally, so I'm not sure if I smiled because I liked the scene, or from remembering when I watched it the first time.
Old July 29 2014, 07:59 PM   #1686
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

That's an episode where Annie was acting completely out of character in order to conform to the kind of sitcom trope that real Community would dedicate an episode to making fun of.

I like how in season 5 they finally reference Annie's family, and show us that she's completely alienated from her family because of the way they treated her after her addiction. I'd like to see that explored more on season 6.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 11:26 PM   #1687
Aldo
Admiral

I was going to add that I enjoyed Annie's subplot, even if it was incredibly out of character behavior for her. At this point though, we'll all just assume it's implied, since it is Season 4 we're talking about after all

Even though the three episodes didn't do much in terms of making me laugh, watching them is still interesting. It's interesting to me to see how different the show is without Dan Harmon. I think Community is as close as your going to get to an auteur driven TV show. Now I'm even more excited they're moving away from the Networks influence, we'll finally get to see what an unfiltered Dan Harmon Community will look like.

That can be either a good thing or a bad thing, but it's going to be fun to find out.

Edit to add:

I just watched 'Alternative History of the German Invasion.'

If I I was watching this as a fan when it was first aired I'd probably worry about my favorite show. This episode was just mediocre. I didn't find it boring or anything, to me it was just there. I thought a few bits were cute, but nothing really got me to laugh.

Last edited by Aldo; July 30 2014 at 03:56 AM.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 01:11 AM   #1688
Aldo
Admiral

'Cooperative Escapism in Familial Relations." -Boy now there's a mouthful.

And we have the second episode of season 4 that I've enjoyed (so far). This also happens to be one of the few episodes I did see back during the original broadcast, but I doubt that has anything to do with my enjoyment of it. Again the references are a little bit less subtle than is the norm for this show, but they were fun. Having part of the group hide out in Shirley's garage was fun, and Pierce felt like Pierce. In fact all the characters felt more or less like themselves, so I have no problems there.

I'm a huge fan of Adam Devine, so seeing him pop up as Jeff's half brother was fun (he's one of the few aspects of Season 4 I wouldn't mind seeing Harmon bring back) and I'm OK with James Brolin as Jeff's father, even if I know it wouldn't have been Harmon's first choice, I believe he wanted Bill Murray.
Old July 31 2014, 02:00 AM   #1689
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

^I think Jeff's "appendix scar" speech was the high point of Season 4.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 03:12 AM   #1690
Aldo
Admiral

I liked it as well. I wish they could have gone more into why Jeff is angry at his father. I mean I know they showed him as an absentee father, but I wished they would have dug further. While it's easy for me to say "What would Harmon have done..." and then write the episode off, I really think he would have given us something deeper. He definitely was building up to a reunion for Jeff and his father, he just never got to give it to us.
Old July 31 2014, 03:54 AM   #1691
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I was going to add that I enjoyed Annie's subplot, even if it was incredibly out of character behavior for her. At this point though, we'll all just assume it's implied, since it is Season 4 we're talking about after all
My favorite part was Jeff's reaction to it at the end. "Is it my hair? And if so, did it fall out naturally? Because, if so, I need to contact science."

But I'm surprised that you didn't like it. Maybe it's just that I'm a Doctor Who fan, so the parody of that seems very well thought out.
Old July 31 2014, 04:13 AM   #1692
Aldo
Admiral

I'm a Whovian too, but the episode just didn't really work. It didn't really have anything to do with the actual convention itself, I mean I liked the premise OK, and I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes the "Inspector Spacetime" show, even if it is a way to subvert copyright.

But it's like I said above, I didn't really laugh at anything in episode. With a different set up, I may have laughed about the line about Annie putting Jeff's hair in the sink to make it seem like they were married, but set up just wasn't there (at least for it to work for me). And the "Science line" was one of the few bits I smiled at that I mentioned. It was one of the few lines that actually felt like something Jeff would say.

My enjoyment of these characters and this show is going a long way to making Season 4 manageable for me, even if it's not striking me as that funny. I am actually looking forward to the season 4 finale where the Darkest Timeline crosses over (even if it does turn out to be a dream sequence) just because it would be something more interesting than what we've been getting so far (except for the two episodes I've enjoyed).
Old July 31 2014, 05:16 AM   #1693
shivkala
Rear Admiral

The scenes with Pierce being in the focus group for an Americanized Inspector Spacetime was great. To me, that was the only redeeming part of the episode.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 11:26 AM   #1694
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

More than the post credit with Luke and Jenny?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 03:56 PM   #1695
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm a huge fan of Adam Devine, so seeing him pop up as Jeff's half brother was fun (he's one of the few aspects of Season 4 I wouldn't mind seeing Harmon bring back)
I hated Jeff's brother. It was like an obnoxious character from a bad sitcom somehow winded up on Community, I half-expected to hear feigned laughter from the audience while he did his Wacky Antics™.