July-August 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Scary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 26 2014, 03:52 AM   #1666
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

This interview is awesome....

http://tvline.com/2014/07/25/communi...rns-try-yahoo/
Old July 26 2014, 01:16 PM   #1667
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991...but I'll be back in 2016.
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I love that he's shooting for more than just a one-off guest spot with Troy. At this point, I'm guessing the biggest hurdle is Donald's full schedule. Let's hope things work out.

I find it amusing that the website touts that Harmon is planning an "orgy episode" when he is clearly being sarcastic.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 02:20 PM   #1668
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh no.

I know how they could do a horribly explicit orgy.

Use those puppets again.

I watched three episodes in a row of Madmen last month, before I said 'Holy shit! it's Annie!"

I knew she was in there somewhere, it's just that she's almost unrecognisable.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 05:12 PM   #1669
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

You just know Harmon is going to treat this as a "What the hell, what are they going to do, cancel me?" season.

I also really hope they get Troy back, he's a huge part of the chemistry.

I could definitely see an episode where Britta is going to an orgy and then Jeff shows up and it gets weird.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 02:05 AM   #1670
Aldo
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
You just know Harmon is going to treat this as a "What the hell, what are they going to do, cancel me?" season.

I could definitely see an episode where Britta is going to an orgy and then Jeff shows up and it gets weird.
Harmon has gone to great lengths to say that the show won't deviate too much from the way it's been done in the past. But you know he is going to want to take advantage of the new format, though I believe him when he says he's going to be shooting for 22-25 minutes per episode.

Are there any content restrictions on yahoo screen? Or am I to assume it's just the same as Netflix where they can basically show what they want.
Old July 27 2014, 04:41 AM   #1671
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post

Harmon has gone to great lengths to say that the show won't deviate too much from the way it's been done in the past. But you know he is going to want to take advantage of the new format, though I believe him when he says he's going to be shooting for 22-25 minutes per episode.

Are there any content restrictions on yahoo screen? Or am I to assume it's just the same as Netflix where they can basically show what they want.
I don't think anyone really knows how Yahoo Screen works. Besides the stupid name pretty much all we know is that there will be one episode a week. He came out and said he could make 40 minute episodes if he wants because there are no time limits to worry about.
Old July 27 2014, 05:04 AM   #1672
Aldo
Admiral

I've read several different instances where Harmon has mentioned he feels Community works in 22 minute bursts (who knows, it could be from the same source), so I'm inclined to believe that not much will change in the length of the episodes.

However if they do decide to make 30 to 40 minute episodes I just hope they avoid the pitfalls of the fourth season of 'Arrested Development.'
Old July 27 2014, 05:11 AM   #1673
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I agree Community works with shorter episodes. But some of the two parters could have benefitted from being 1.5 episodes long instead of 2 episodes. Pillow fort vs blanket fort should have been one 30-35 minute episode instead of two regular length episodes.

The Office and Parks & Rec worked with 1.5 episode length episodes in their more important episodes.
Old July 27 2014, 05:21 AM   #1674
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Here's the thing, to make a 22 minute (+ 8 minutes of ads) episode, they film probably a hundred hours of footage and then hack at it until they have a magnificent 22 minutes.

It wouldn't be difficult to make a 3 hours long super episode.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 07:10 PM   #1675
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yeah I think he will keep the episodes short, but there are times where things are cut just for more commercials, now he can make the episodes 26 minutes and not 22. Or do a two in one episode instead of a two parter.
Old July 27 2014, 10:20 PM   #1676
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I agree Community works with shorter episodes. But some of the two parters could have benefitted from being 1.5 episodes long instead of 2 episodes. Pillow fort vs blanket fort should have been one 30-35 minute episode instead of two regular length episodes.
While I'm sure they'll enjoy a certain degree of greater flexibility with episode lengths, I'm sure they'll still need to make 22-minute versions of each episode since the show still seems to be getting decent ratings in syndication.

I don't know about pillow fort vs. blanket fort working better as 1 long episode. I thought it handled things really well as 2 episodes, with the first part just using the pillow fort storyline as a subplot in the Subway-guy episode while the second part was a full-on Ken Burns parody. (To use a Star Trek analogy, it's like the "Birthright" 2-parter. Part I split the episode between Worf's storyline & Data's storyline while Part II focused exclusively on Worf.)

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The article I read says it's because they don't know when it will air, but that shouldn't stop them when they also talk about how many many more people will watch it much later than when it's on TV or Yahoo. So it all seems very odd. Orange is theNew Black does it right, whenever they want a holiday they do one.

http://io9.com/community-cast-crew-r...e-f-1610559324
Just because they don't know when the episodes are being aired shouldn't make a difference as to whether they do holiday episodes. Season 4 was aired entirely in the spring but that didn't stop them from doing Halloween & Christmas episodes.

I mean, if they don't have a funny idea for a holiday episode, they don't have to do it. But Community has done some of my all-time favorite Christmas episodes, especially "Regional Holiday Music."
Old July 27 2014, 10:32 PM   #1677
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

The article I read says it's because they don't know when it will air, but that shouldn't stop them when they also talk about how many many more people will watch it much later than when it's on TV or Yahoo. So it all seems very odd. Orange is theNew Black does it right, whenever they want a holiday they do one.

http://io9.com/community-cast-crew-r...e-f-1610559324
Just because they don't know when the episodes are being aired shouldn't make a difference as to whether they do holiday episodes. Season 4 was aired entirely in the spring but that didn't stop them from doing Halloween & Christmas episodes.

I mean, if they don't have a funny idea for a holiday episode, they don't have to do it. But Community has done some of my all-time favorite Christmas episodes, especially "Regional Holiday Music."
One of the seasons got moved from October 22nd to February 14th after the fact, so they didn't plan that. But i agree, I don't understand why they feel the need to air when the episodes air when 99% of people who will ever watch it will not be watching it on air date anyways. But that's TPTB and not me to say.
Old July 27 2014, 11:05 PM   #1678
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Having holiday episodes makes more sense in a 22 episode season than a 13 episode season.
Old July 27 2014, 11:49 PM   #1679
Aldo
Admiral

^^^I can definitely agree with that sentiment.

Season 5 felt short enough already, they could have used some more breathing room to expand on some of the themes and character arcs they were doing. Granted it is a comedy show, granted in the end it's just a comedy show, but Harmon always did seem to have some kind of idea for where these characters were headed.
Old July 28 2014, 12:44 AM   #1680
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
One of the seasons got moved from October 22nd to February 14th after the fact, so they didn't plan that.
Yes. But according to the commentary track, they knew at the time that they were filming "Intro to Knots" that the season might well be pushed back to the spring some time. But that didn't make them try to remove the Christmas elements from the episode.