Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 25 2011, 09:08 PM   #31
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Re: classic Who should be in colour..

Starkers wrote: View Post
Plus in this era of not enough hours in the day there's something quite handy about a TV show I can watch in bite sized chunks
Ah,the thrill of a 25-minute "hit" of Doctor Who. I remember it fondly...
Old February 4 2011, 01:58 PM   #32
starsuperion
Captain

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
Plus in this era of not enough hours in the day there's something quite handy about a TV show I can watch in bite sized chunks
actually I think that some of the charm was the fact that you could take a half hour of Doctor who in, and then go back to work, with anticipation for the next day's lunch hour..

much of the magic lost on the classic who was the colours depicting the 60's mauve era..psychadelics and such that were in some episodes.. would the impact of the classic star trek have been such had it been in black and white only?? what about the zaniness of the classic lost in space.. originally it too was in black and white, and yet, the colourised version is what most people purchase on DVD..

all I am saying is to give those of us who prefer colourised episodes the option, to not at least have the option is pretty horrible.. let the fans decide which version they prefer..

if the few colourised episodes don't sell very well, then don't do more, and then at least it was tried.. but to not even allow 1 release in colour is just closed minded, and tyrannical in action by the BBC..
Old February 4 2011, 02:26 PM   #33
Starkers
Admiral

Tyrannnical action by the BBC?

Free the Colourised 2!!

I think what this would come down to is an issue of cost effectiveness. Considering they won't even produce any more animated recreations of lost episodes, I can't see them spending money colourising ones they can just as easily sell as they are.

And TOS is a poor comparison. Star Trek was filmed in colour, Who was not, and whilst many of the sets/cosumes were coloured (see Zoe's catsuit for further details) many of them were actually just varying shades of grey because the show was designed to be filmed in B&W.

I think another interesting point is that in many cases whoever did this would in effect be imposing their own colour pallate onto the show. Take Zoe's catsuit (I'm not obsessed!) It's actually purple, but would the producers have made it purple if the show was intended in colour? Or was it chosen because it looked good in black and white, or just because it was the only colour available. So do you colour it purple (which may or may not have been the original intent) or do you make a choice based on what colour you think it should be?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 02:34 PM   #34
starsuperion
Captain

Tyrannnical action by the BBC?

Free the Colourised 2!!

I think what this would comd down
starkers, I have the same avater you have, only I blew up the rear..hehehehe..

sigh... Zoe.. the original Ghetto Booty..

okay so Peri has the record for frontals, but I mean sheesh! Zoe has a big heart! Valentines day can't come sooner..
Old February 4 2011, 02:40 PM   #35
Starkers
Admiral

ghetto booty?
Old February 4 2011, 02:40 PM   #36
VDCNI
Captain

starsuperion wrote: View Post
actually I think that some of the charm was the fact that you could take a half hour of Doctor who in, and then go back to work, with anticipation for the next day's lunch hour..

much of the magic lost on the classic who was the colours depicting the 60's mauve era..psychadelics and such that were in some episodes.. would the impact of the classic star trek have been such had it been in black and white only?? what about the zaniness of the classic lost in space.. originally it too was in black and white, and yet, the colourised version is what most people purchase on DVD..

all I am saying is to give those of us who prefer colourised episodes the option, to not at least have the option is pretty horrible.. let the fans decide which version they prefer..

if the few colourised episodes don't sell very well, then don't do more, and then at least it was tried.. but to not even allow 1 release in colour is just closed minded, and tyrannical in action by the BBC..
What nonsense - why should there be an option for something that never existed.

I've heard the BBC be criticised for a lot of things but for not colourising B&W TV must be the most absurd.

Where are these fans who desperately want to see it in colour!? If you can't cope with watching it in B&W, stop watching 60's Who.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 02:46 PM   #37
starsuperion
Captain

VDCNI wrote: View Post

I've heard the BBC be criticised for a lot of things but for not colourising B&W TV must be the most absurd.

Where are these fans who desperately want to see it in colour!? If you can't cope with watching it in B&W, stop watching 60's Who.
wow...I mean, just wow.. that shut me up..

ummm.. yeah nonsense??..that is why black and white TV has colourising as an industry.. cause no one wants it..you are so right ..

"where are these fans who desperately want it in colour?"
that's an easy argument to make isn't it..

like I have statistics or something laying around...where is your proof that no one in this entire world except I, want colourised Doctor Who from the 60's??

why should there be an option for something that never existed.
if we followed that logic, the world would be a pretty dull place..
Old February 4 2011, 02:49 PM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Imagine the actors you could use if you Colorized Classic Who. Morgan Freeman as the Doctor, Gabrielle Union as Barbara...

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 02:52 PM   #39
starsuperion
Captain

ghetto booty?
it's an urban American term type thing..

this picture is labeled Ghetto Booty.. I thought it was an appropriate term, given Zoe's apparent exceptional anatomy..

Old February 4 2011, 02:58 PM   #40
Starkers
Admiral

Her bottom seems in proportion to me
Old February 4 2011, 03:01 PM   #41
VDCNI
Captain

ummm.. yeah nonsense??..that is why black and white TV has colourising as an industry.. cause no one wants it..you are so right ..

"where are these fans who desperately want it in colour?"

like I have statistics or something laying around...where is your proof that no one in this entire world except I, want colourised Doctor Who from the 60's??

What colourising industry - I know Turner have done it and some US TV shows but I'm not aware of any British TV or films being colourised - colour recovery yes but nothing else.

I don't have a problem with the BBC adding bits as they have - like the CGI in Dalek Invasion (though I have no real interest in watching it myself) but there's a big difference between that and demanding that there should be colourised episodes and calling the BBC tyrannical as a result.

Given that the 60's DVDs have comparable sales to the 70's & 80's ones why would the BBC have any reason to believe that people want this anyway. There's absolutely no evidence that many people are interested and Doctor Who fans are pretty vocal when they want something!
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 03:03 PM   #42
starsuperion
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Imagine the actors you could use if you Colorized Classic Who. Morgan Freeman as the Doctor, Gabrielle Union as Barbara...
why stop there? Let's really open it up

We could go with jackie chan as the 2nd doctor, J-Lo as Zoe, and Lance Bass as Jamie
Old February 4 2011, 03:08 PM   #43
starsuperion
Captain

What colourising industry - I know Turner have done it and some US TV shows but I'm not aware of any British TV or films being colourised - colour recovery yes but nothing else.

I don't have a problem with the BBC adding bits as they have - like the CGI in Dalek Invasion (though I have no real interest in watching it myself) but there's a big difference between that and demanding that there should be colourised episodes and calling the BBC tyrannical as a result.

Given that the 60's DVDs have comparable sales to the 70's & 80's ones why would the BBC have any reason to believe that people want this anyway. There's absolutely no evidence that many people are interested and Doctor Who fans are pretty vocal when they want something!
not having the option is tyrannical in practice.. whether it is a gross misuse of the term is up for debate.. but I still stand by my assertion.. why not at least have the option?

Her bottom seems in proportion to me
evidently, my flatmate says, the term is also a means of compliment not just a proportional description..though I do believe, Zoe has a perfectly heart shaped bum..