CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 13 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Sybok
Lieutenant

you know how the 1701-A had three captains (kirk, spock, scotty)...

so i was watching star trek vi today thinking about how spock and scotty held captain ranks, and thought people would be curious to read that the real USS Enterprise CVN-65 has, when deployed, at least 9 officers of captain rank:

-commanding officer
-executive officer
-Dept Heads--Most of the Depts are headed by a CDR but two or three may be captains
-air wing commander
-air wing executive officer
-Squadron Commanders--Normally nine squadrons with a CDR but 1 to may be a captain
-doctor--Medical Mobile Augmentation Readiness Team
-psychiatrist (maybe)
-surgeon

also the flag staff:
Carrier Strike Group Commander -- Admiral
Chief of Staff -- Capt
Staff Reserve Unit -- Capt
Dept Heads-- Most of the dept heads are CDRs but they may have a captain or two

anywho not really comparable to star trek since the enterprise isnt an aircraft carrier and starfleet, although it has a defense role, isnt a military (otherwise chekov, uhura, and scotty would not have spent 30 years on the same ship doing the same things) but i think its interesting nonetheless
Sybok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: you know how the 1701-A had three captains (kirk, spock, scotty)..

Scotty was still a Commander in Star Trek VI. He was promoted shortly after. Only Kirk and Spock held the rank of Captains.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Aldo
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Scotty was still a Commander in Star Trek VI. He was promoted shortly after. Only Kirk and Spock held the rank of Captains.
I'm pretty sure he held the rank of Captain in Search for Spock, and for continuity's sake they just kept him as Captain in the remaining films.

I'm not one hundred percent, but I could swear he has a captain's insignia on his uniform in Trek's V and VI.
Old March 13 2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Whill
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

Yes, Scotty was promoted to Captain of Engineering of the Excelcior in TSFS, and his uniform had the rank insignia of captain for the remainder of the films he appeared in.
* Opinions are not "flaws". * Why post so much about things you hate?
Whill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Xerxes1979
Captain

According to the Enterprise's computer he was still a commander in regards to the self-destruct protocols.
Old March 13 2011, 09:24 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Xerxes1979 wrote: View Post
According to the Enterprise's computer he was still a commander in regards to the self-destruct protocols.
Perhaps the Enterprise security protocols hadn't yet been updated? I don't think any of the three (Kirk, Scott and Chekov) were currently assigned to the ship yet the ship's computer continued to recognize their collective security clearance.
Old March 14 2011, 12:57 AM   #7
Aldo
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Perhaps the Enterprise security protocols hadn't yet been updated? I don't think any of the three (Kirk, Scott and Chekov) were currently assigned to the ship yet the ship's computer continued to recognize their collective security clearance.
That brings up an interesting question. How long was Kirk supposed to be back on Earth before he decided to steal the Entperprise and return to Genesis?

If we go by the scenes with David and Saavik and Genesis it would appear that Kirk left pretty much the day after returning to SpaceDock. If that's the case I doubt they had time to update things and say Kirk was no longer the Captain of the Enteprise.

However you got a point with Scotty and Chekov. Scotty was Captain of Engineering on the Excelsior and Chekov was still the first officer of the Reliant (even though that ship was destroyed and most of the crew were hitching a ride back to Earth with Kirk and co.).
Old March 14 2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Aldo wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
That brings up an interesting question. How long was Kirk supposed to be back on Earth before he decided to steal the Entperprise and return to Genesis?

If we go by the scenes with David and Saavik and Genesis it would appear that Kirk left pretty much the day after returning to SpaceDock. If that's the case I doubt they had time to update things and say Kirk was no longer the Captain of the Enteprise.

However you got a point with Scotty and Chekov. Scotty was Captain of Engineering on the Excelsior and Chekov was still the first officer of the Reliant (even though that ship was destroyed and most of the crew were hitching a ride back to Earth with Kirk and co.).
But Chekov returned to duty aboard Enterprise during the battle with Khan so his status aboard was updated.

Also when activating the self destruct doesn't Chekov identify as "acting science office" which meant he would have taken over Spock's duties.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2011, 02:13 AM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Hmmm. I remember him being promoted to "Captain" of Engineering in TSFS but I thought that was just a term to describe him heading the Engineering department of Excelsior.

Old March 14 2011, 02:31 AM   #10
Aldo
Admiral

Hmmm. I remember him being promoted to "Captain" of Engineering in TSFS but I thought that was just a term to describe him heading the Engineering department of Excelsior.
Despite what the intentions were regarding Star Trek III. Scotty is seen with a Captains insignia (as pointed out above) on his uniform in all the following films.
Old March 14 2011, 02:58 AM   #11
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is an excuse for me to rewatch these films now

Old March 14 2011, 04:05 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Aldo wrote: View Post
Despite what the intentions were regarding Star Trek III. Scotty is seen with a Captains insignia (as pointed out above) on his uniform in all the following films.
Everyone is always talking about a Captain Sulu series... I always wanted a Captain Scott series. Scott was always a more than able commander when necessary and I think Jimmy Doohan brought a far more commanding presence to the center seat than George Takei ever did. YMMV.
Old March 16 2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Jose Tyler
Lieutenant Commander

Actually, in the court-martial scene of ST IV, Scotty is still wearing a commander rank insignia

I hhave always pretended that Scotty was promoted to a brevet "Captain of Engineering" in ST III, but the paperwork to officially change him to a full Captain was delayed due to the whole Genesis mess...
Old March 16 2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Gorn Captain
Commander

Maybe he was never officially promoted to Captain because he flunked the physical.
Gorn Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Anduril
Captain

Damn page stretching picture! Can someone resize that?