TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 19 2011, 05:14 PM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Favorite children's books

The Dr. Seuss books
The Little Country House
Ferdinand the Bull
The Big Snow
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 08:29 PM   #17
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

I read a lot of childrens books as an adult, both for my job, I work in the children's section at Borders, and for fun. I love Mo Willems and I really enjoy the Splat the Cat books. I read Berkley Breathed's Mars needs Moms months ago for storytime, and now I see that its a movie.
Old January 19 2011, 08:42 PM   #18
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus

Dr. Seuss was a firm favourite when I was very young, and later I started reading The Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I then moved on to the Little House series, Judy Blume and The Famous Five, among others. My elementary school had a book club and I'd blow almost all my allowance on books, some of which my daughter now reads. My sons don't share my childhood taste in reading and don't read my old books, though I enjoy raiding their bookcase and reading about Captain Underpants and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

My kids are too old for picture books but I still love to look through them in libraries and bookshops. MHT1138, I'd love to have your job!

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 08:46 PM   #19
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

Morris' Disappearing Bag by Rosemary Wells.
Old January 19 2011, 08:51 PM   #20
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

macloudt wrote: View Post
Dr. Seuss was a firm favourite when I was very young, and later I started reading The Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I then moved on to the Little House series, Judy Blume and The Famous Five, among others. My elementary school had a book club and I'd blow almost all my allowance on books, some of which my daughter now reads. My sons don't share my childhood taste in reading and don't read my old books, though I enjoy raiding their bookcase and reading about Captain Underpants and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

My kids are too old for picture books but I still love to look through them in libraries and bookshops. MHT1138, I'd love to have your job!
macloudt, its a pretty awesome job. I loved the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I also read the Trixie Belden books- mysteries that are a little more realistic. But what are The Famous Five Books? I've never heard of them.
Old January 19 2011, 11:20 PM   #21
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I also remember being very fond of "Frog and Toad" books. I don't know if those are still around.

One of my favorite picture books from when I was a little bit older was "Rat's Magic." It was a very funky, dark book, but I still have it. The artwork was fantastic. I remember lying on my bed and staring at the pictures, just enthralled.

eta: It's still around. Check out the artwork HERE.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 11:27 PM   #22
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

Where the Sidewalk Ends.
Old January 20 2011, 07:02 AM   #23
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I also remember being very fond of "Frog and Toad" books. I don't know if those are still around.

One of my favorite picture books from when I was a little bit older was "Rat's Magic." It was a very funky, dark book, but I still have it. The artwork was fantastic. I remember lying on my bed and staring at the pictures, just enthralled.

eta: It's still around. Check out the artwork HERE.
The Frog and Toad books are absolutely still around and very popular. Does anyone remember The Babysitters Club? I loved those books.
Old January 20 2011, 03:13 PM   #24
the skullcowboy
Fleet Captain

View the skullcowboy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to the skullcowboy

I don't recall how many were actual favorites but I had a series of " golden books " one was about a tug boat who ended up swept out to sea...If I recall I had another called " the pokey little puppy...I had the charlie brown encyclopedia series...I do recall one that made me laugh, " Mr Pine's mixed up signs " somehow as soon as I got my library card in 3rd grade I went straight from those books into the occult and sci-fi, so I kinda skipped over the " young adult " section
Old January 20 2011, 06:13 PM   #25
Alpinemaps
Commodore

View Alpinemaps's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Alpinemaps

Having a 3 year old means I've got tons of children's books in the house. So, it's a mix of stuff that I loved as a kid, Mrs. Alpinemaps loved as a kid, and new stuff that we both want Little Miss Alpinemaps to read.

Some of our favorites include the Very Hungry Caterpillar, plenty of the Little Golden Books, Maisy, and Max & Ruby. Our favorite series, though, is Knuffle Bunny. There are three books in the series. It's a great series, very funny. I love the style that the illustrations are done in - the characters are drawn, but the backgrounds are 'real'.
Old January 20 2011, 08:16 PM   #26
trampledamage
Clone

MHT1138 wrote: View Post
macloudt, its a pretty awesome job. I loved the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I also read the Trixie Belden books- mysteries that are a little more realistic. But what are The Famous Five Books? I've never heard of them.
The Famous Five books are a series of adventure/mystery books by Enid Blyton featuring five friends - Julian, Anne, Dick and George and their dog whose name I can't remember (Timmy?) - until I started writing that sentence I wouldn't have said I could remember any of their names!

My favourite children's books are the Mr Men by Roger Hargreaves. It was made into a TV series voiced by Arthur Lowe which was just fantastic. There's a new cartoon series now, but I haven't seen that. I read the stories to my kids now and I have the original series on DVD so my kids get to watch that

Mr Quiet still makes me well up a little.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 09:00 PM   #27
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Alpinemaps wrote: View Post
Some of our favorites include the Very Hungry Caterpillar...
That was one of the books I learnt to read with, so has a special place in my heart. The Richard Scarry/Busytown books were another fave, and I liked Narnia, Babar, Mr Men and Asimov too, though I suppose the last are more universal books than a children's books as such.

Actually, in much the same vein, I remain impressed to this day by the Asterix comics. They are so brilliantly written (or perhaps I should say, re-written, during thier English translation), with a wonderful array of jokes and allusions to appeal to just about any educational and maturity level. Just occasionally, even now if I re-read them, I get a subtle joke that I never did before. They are that intelligent. The translators (Anthea Bell & Derek Hockridge) are/were remarkably well-read and witty (I'm willing to bet they had Oxbridge educations, based on the nature of the jokes), in some ways much more so than the original writer (I've read a couple of the comics in the original French), and introduced a lot more layers to the humour.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 09:23 PM   #28
Niorah
Fleet Admiral

View Niorah's Twitter Profile

As a child I really loved the books by Joe Kaufman.

They were very informative, written in a simple but exhaustive language and they taught me a lot.

Here's one:

I also had a general knowledge encyclopedia called "The Big Book of Knowledge" which I loved, and by the same publisher "The Big Book of Animals".

The list includes various "Manuals" or "Guides" like the Junior Woodchucks Guidebook (of which I had several volumes, I think from the first to the sixth) and a Guide for young detectives and spies.

Old January 20 2011, 10:22 PM   #29
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Alpinemaps wrote: View Post
Having a 3 year old means I've got tons of children's books in the house. So, it's a mix of stuff that I loved as a kid, Mrs. Alpinemaps loved as a kid, and new stuff that we both want Little Miss Alpinemaps to read.

Some of our favorites include the Very Hungry Caterpillar, plenty of the Little Golden Books, Maisy, and Max & Ruby. Our favorite series, though, is Knuffle Bunny. There are three books in the series. It's a great series, very funny. I love the style that the illustrations are done in - the characters are drawn, but the backgrounds are 'real'.

I'm a pretty big Knuffle Bunny fan, too, and I'm enjoying the Elephant and Piggie books.

Have you seen any of the "Don't Let the Pigeon..." books?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 01:41 AM   #30
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Actually, in much the same vein, I remain impressed to this day by the Asterix comics. They are so brilliantly written (or perhaps I should say, re-written, during thier English translation), with a wonderful array of jokes and allusions to appeal to just about any educational and maturity level. Just occasionally, even now if I re-read them, I get a subtle joke that I never did before. They are that intelligent. The translators (Anthea Bell & Derek Hockridge) are/were remarkably well-read and witty (I'm willing to bet they had Oxbridge educations, based on the nature of the jokes), in some ways much more so than the original writer (I've read a couple of the comics in the original French), and introduced a lot more layers to the humour.
We were introduced to Astérix in secondary school Latin, if only for an added appreciation of the Latin in-jokes in the Bell & Hockridge translation, and also reading special versions translated entirely into Latin. I remembered reading somewhere about how they would try and fit in jokes as close to the spirit of the French original as possible, admitting that in in some cases the English version's humour worked better than the French, while in a select few other cases the translation lost a little of the humour. I still read the albums today.