RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,571
Posts: 5,423,354
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 439
Newest member: toaster

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 20 2011, 09:21 AM   #661
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

KB24 wrote: View Post
Rachel Weisz, Bond Girl!
no argument here!
__________________
formerly known as Praetor_Shinzon.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 10:49 AM   #662
KB24
Fleet Captain
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

'cuse me. I like neither bias no nepotism. I don't like the guy I said why. We disagree. fin. I may have my own opinion, but I never mean anything to be offensive to anybody. I like critical and insightful discussion.


Except if Rachel made a Bond appearance for Shinz^ then it's okay. Although, forgive me B, is there a comment to be made here about Barbara Broccoli? Are they locking in Craig to just collect the dough, lifelong job done? I think we all agree QofS was bad, but it made the most money ever of course. So, as far as those at the top are concerned, it's not broke, don't fix it right?


Another article about the rumored deal, more of the same though.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...4-edc00e4af566

Why wouldn't they outright comment about this? We support him, it's official, you're going to like what we are doing with Skyfall angles?
__________________
FATE and FANGS: Tales from the Vampire Family Kindle Available Now!
http://vampfam.blogspot.com
I Think, Therefore I Review- Criticism, Conjecture, Rants
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 11:01 AM   #663
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

They wouldn't comment about it outright because if true they're still negotiating the deal then there isn't anything to talk about yet. "We all agree" that "Quantum of Solace" was bad? No. Sorry. I happen to think it was pretty awesome actually.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 11:07 AM   #664
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

I think it's underrated, sure as hell doesn't outstay it's welcome like Casino Royale does...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 11:49 AM   #665
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

If anything, Casino Royale moves too slowly and Quantum of Solace moves too damn fast. Hopefully Skyfall will be just right.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 11:51 AM   #666
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
If anything, Casino Royale moves too slowly and Quantum of Solace moves too damn fast. Hopefully Skyfall will be just right.
Fingers crossed!
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 12:37 PM   #667
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

KB24 wrote: View Post


Back to Toby. I didn't know I needed evidence for something that was just my opinion.
Not liking his acting is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Saying that he only gets work through nepotism is an allegation or statment of fact, quite a serious one, and it demands backing up.

And yeah, Graves stinks and you can't completely fault an actor for a crappy part, but I also don't like him in Sharpe's Challenge or Jane Eyre. I don't like the guy, sorry. I've given him the benefit of the doubt, and I don't think he can act.
That's fair enough, you're entitled to dislike him. I don't really care for his performance in DAD either and I'm one of the few who actually like that movie!

Do you have a film he's done that you recommend as an example of his merits?
I liked him in the tv movie of The Great Gatsby that was on BBC about a decade or so but I haven't seen an awful lot of his work.

At best, you can say Toby's skills leave some doubt
You can say that. Others might disagree. He is primarily a stage actor, after all.

but there is no mistaking that his mother is awesome.
As was his father.

So why did the apple fall far from the tree here for me?
Only you can answer that.

I think she is a star, she certainly has the hardware for it. Is he too young?
43 next birthday in April?

Too stage based where we don't see what is his best stateside?
Maybe.

I really think that he's just giving an acting a go because of his family. It's like Joely and Natasha Richardson, was there any doubt they would become actresses?
I'm sure there are members of their family who didn't go into acting.

Some people just come from acting families, and that is a critical part of their CV, oh yes indeed. You would be a fool to presume that Suri Cruise is going to get anywhere on her own merits.
Are you really saying that Maggie Smith, who is a respected British stage actress, but hardly a box-office behemoth, has the same clout with directors and casting agents as Hollywood-based Tom Cruise, who has been one of the biggest movie stars in the world for almost 25 years?!

Some people are even desperate to connect themselves to any acting family possible. Casper Van Dien pushed the 'grandson in law to Robert Mitchum' connection for all it was worth.
It clearly wasn't worth an awful lot, to look at the state of his career, was it? Doesn't this undermine your point that nepotism works wonders for the untalented? (And I'd never heard of that connection)

Nicholas Cage wanted to change his name and not be a Coppola, but he certainly took roles in Uncle Frank's films. Sherri Moon in all of Rob Zombies films, anyone?
Cage did indeed take roles with Uncie Frank until he blew it with his unprofessional behaviour on Peggy Sue Got Married and he hasn't been in a Coppola movie since. But Nic has the thesp talent and that's why he's gone on to have a successful acting career since. As oppose to cousin Sofia, who got her break through Daddy but has done little acting since, because her lack of acting talent was apparent (but fortunately, she's a good director). Nepotism only takes you so far. And Mr Stephens has gone a lot further than that.

Nepotism, Hollywood is rank with it. Nothing new, but an excuse for lots of people to get lots of places. Not sure why you guys think my saying it is that big a deal?
Because you claimed that Stephens, an acclaimed stage and screen actor with an extensive CV, was only getting roles because of who his mother was. It's just such a preposterous allegation it had to be addressed.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 01:44 PM   #668
KB24
Fleet Captain
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Admiral, you like Quantum of Solace? Explain!

Demotion, you like Die Another Day? Explain!


D, I was so excited when my asking for recommendations was quoted, because I thought you were going to give me something, but I hate The Great Gatsby! Oiy, Fitzgerald! My sister swears by that and Tender is the Night too. I am so in the Lion's Den!

But you know what is really sad? Maggie Smith is a far better actor than Tom Cruise, but you're right, she isn't a box-office behemoth- unless you count Potter. It is quite sad that we don't reward people for their skills, or that the numbers don't translate. That's the funny thing about QofS, too, it was in the most theaters with the highest ticket prices, so yeah, it is the best moneymaker. But is it the best 007 film? Heck no.

I think my examples with Dien- weak family tie no help- and Cage - had to cut family tie- both get to why I don't like nepotism. I don't like the idea that people have to at some point say who they are or where they come from and use it to positively or negatively move in showbiz. I wish people could just be themselves, onscreen, do their thing and truly rise or fall on their skill. I know that is incredibly idealistic of me, but. Those who have talent might never realize their potential and take the easy fall back on the family laurels. Others with no talent will be in our face for no dang good reason. coughkardashianscough. I feel the same way about Zoe Kravitz. I see no skills in her as yet, but we are supposed to accept her a progeny because of her parents. Why doesn't she drop her last name and stop dressing in her mother's Cosby clothes? Because she wouldn't be anywhere without either.

You are starting to make me feel bad that I don't love Toby. I value you guys' opinions, and you like him, so what in the heck do you see that I don't? I swear by Maggie. She is so up here for me, and he is just...there. Does he not meet my expectations perhaps?

Wow, I am getting looong winded.

Admiral, do you remember a long time ago Craig saying something like he liked have the big safety as Bond because it also freed him to do the indy roles he liked? How in the heck would he have room for other stuff if this goes through. He wouldn't have to do anything.

Whew. I think I'm going to sleep now.
__________________
FATE and FANGS: Tales from the Vampire Family Kindle Available Now!
http://vampfam.blogspot.com
I Think, Therefore I Review- Criticism, Conjecture, Rants
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 01:48 PM   #669
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Craig would have time to do one or two films in between filming Bond movies if they spaced them out every two or so years. It's not like they would film them back to back or something. Besides which I've already said in this thread that I think he will sign on for two or three films after his current contract is complete.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 01:58 PM   #670
KB24
Fleet Captain
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

6 films total I could see, but 8 just seems so scary. Just in that, how many more years would that be for 2 more films? I agree, resign for another 2 with an option for a third.

I do so drive the Admiral insane!

Guys, do you know what is the biggest funny about this Toby thing? I didn't even realize Maggie Smith had another son!

I looked at his credits, and they look majority like almost all UK based productions. I think we simply have a pond problem. You guys can see how prolific he is there with all this stage acclaim, and all I have here is... DAD. That's a big difference!
__________________
FATE and FANGS: Tales from the Vampire Family Kindle Available Now!
http://vampfam.blogspot.com
I Think, Therefore I Review- Criticism, Conjecture, Rants
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 02:04 PM   #671
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

KB24 wrote: View Post
Admiral, you like Quantum of Solace? Explain!

Demotion, you like Die Another Day? Explain!
I like both, and I actually think Graves was a good villain!

Has anyone mentioned that Toby Stephens has played Bond as well?
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 06:43 PM   #672
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

KB24 wrote: View Post
You are starting to make me feel bad that I don't love Toby. I value you guys' opinions, and you like him, so what in the heck do you see that I don't? I swear by Maggie. She is so up here for me, and he is just...there. Does he not meet my expectations perhaps?
Nobody is saying you have to like him. In fact, folks here are telling you that you not liking him is okay.

I don't really like Jonah Hill, yet many others do and he keeps getting work. Many people hate Tom Cruise, yet he is still one of the world's biggest box office draws. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

People keep questioning you due to your continued claims of nepotism which is ridiculous considering his lengthy and continuous career.

Three Wise Doctors wrote: View Post
Has anyone mentioned that Toby Stephens has played Bond as well?
That's true! He has! I'd forgotten that.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 02:41 AM   #673
KB24
Fleet Captain
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

^ As I said above, stateside his career is virtually invisible stateside. Had I grown up seeing him win awards for being on the boards, perhaps I would feel differently. As of now, I know two things about the guy...DAD and his Mom. If you had to choose, which would you pick?


Yes, what is the deal with the Bond radio shows? Are they sanctioned and all that or truer to the books and such?
__________________
FATE and FANGS: Tales from the Vampire Family Kindle Available Now!
http://vampfam.blogspot.com
I Think, Therefore I Review- Criticism, Conjecture, Rants
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 03:19 AM   #674
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

^ i didn't know there were any radio shows.
__________________
formerly known as Praetor_Shinzon.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2012, 05:24 AM   #675
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral
 
Rush Limborg's Avatar
 
Location: The EIB Network
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Keeping this thread alive, with an update or two....

Wikipedia's got a list for the cast, so far:

The main cast of Skyfall was officially announced at a press conference held at the Corinthia Hotel in London on 3 November 2011, fifty years to the day that Sean Connery was announced as the first actor to play James Bond.
  • Daniel Craig as James Bond.
  • Javier Bardem as the film's main villain.
  • Judi Dench as M.
  • Ralph Fiennes in an undisclosed role. Fiennes stated that he could not say anything specific about the role other than that it was "[a] really interesting part which is really quite fun".
  • Albert Finney in an undisclosed role.
  • Naomie Harris as Eve. Speculation initially suggested that Harris would play Miss Moneypenny,though the character's first name was revealed as "Eve" with no surname disclosed, and was specifically described as "a field agent". Harris described the character as "believing she is Bond's equal, but she is really his junior".
  • Rory Kinnear as Bill Tanner, the MI6 Chief of Staff.
  • Bérénice Marlohe as Sévérine. Marlohe described the role as being a "glamorous and enigmatic" character.
  • Helen McCrory as Clair Dowar, a British politician. McCrory joined the cast after Sam Mendes contacted her personally and offered her the role.
  • Ola Rapace in an undisclosed role. Rapace was officially added to the cast on 8 November.
  • Ben Whishaw as Q.
Nice to see "glamorous and enigmatic" brought back to Bond Girls, I think.... The promise of an exotic accent (French, in this case), is also quite good to look forward to.
__________________
"I have been wounded but not yet slain. I shall lie here and bleed awhile. Then I shall rise and fight again."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
007, james bond

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.