Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old June 3 2008, 12:46 AM   #1
asdf1
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to asdf1
Favourite Trek Technology

Out of all of the wondrous technologys seen in trek, which one is your favourite.

Personally, i'd love a replicator, but what about everyone else.
asdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 01:25 AM   #2
AlxxlA
Lieutenant

Re: Favourite Trek Technology

Definitely a replicator, although perhaps a Phaser would be nice.
AlxxlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Pheon
Commander

Holodeck - as for why, I'll leave that to your imagination.
Pheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 12:17 AM   #4
judge alba
senior street judge

must admit I'd go for a starship myself then go out and conquer or failing that a holodeck wouldn't go a miss
no wait i know the android Andrea fro the tos episode with the robot Corby? nurse chapels boyfriend
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 01:40 AM   #5
anais
Captain

Galactic scooby wrote: View Post
must admit I'd go for a starship myself then go out and conquer or failing that a holodeck wouldn't go a miss
Or you could just get a starship that comes with a holodeck

Me, I like the tricorder. Nothing escapes a tricorder.
anais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 02:56 AM   #6
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Andrea of Exo-III.
Old June 4 2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Garrovick

I too have to go with the Replicator.

It has to be the most useful technology in day to day life.
Old June 4 2008, 02:51 PM   #8
chancellorjake
Captain

I'd like to get my hands on some of the medical technology that Beverly, Julian and the EMH used. It would be very useful.
I'd, also, like to own a Replicator. It would probably be overused, though.
chancellorjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Deks
Rear Admiral

An industrial replicator.
It would be able to help out in making numerous things and probably construction of a shuttle such as the Delta Flyer
I suppose replicating a shuttle would take away energy from the globe during the process ... in several turns ... ... but it would be nice.
Heck I'd settle with a Type 9 shuttle.
Piece by piece and then assemble it.
Old June 4 2008, 06:40 PM   #10
asdf1
Lieutenant Commander

Deks wrote: View Post
It would be able to help out in making numerous things and probably construction of a shuttle such as the Delta Flyer
I suppose replicating a shuttle would take away energy from the globe during the process ... in several turns ... ... but it would be nice.
Didn't the Delta Flyer use advanced borg technology, even a standard industrial replicator wouldn't allow you to construct a Delta Flyer.
Old June 4 2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Jadzia
on holiday

Watching 'TNG-3-05 The Bonding' today, I noticed Dr Crusher using a hand tool to operate her computer, what looked like a pen that copied and pasted data.

This is something we could build today, to replace the mouse and provide a very ergonomic way of interfacing with computers.

Imagine having a video you were watching, and you wanted to copy it to another computer. You point the tool at the video on one screen, press the copy button, then point the tool at a folder icon on your other computer's desktop, press the paste button and the video is copied there.

It could work rather like a pen drive, that interfaces with computers via bluetooth. Pointing the thing at a screen connects the tool like a mouse, identifying whatever is below the cursor and copying the data to the pen drive via bluetooth. To paste, the reverse happens.

It could also do text copying and simple things moved around one computer screen.

I think it would be very useful.

Opinions?
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 11:41 PM   #12
asdf1
Lieutenant Commander

Jadzia wrote: View Post
Watching 'TNG-3-05 The Bonding' today, I noticed Dr Crusher using a hand tool to operate her computer, what looked like a pen that copied and pasted data.

This is something we could build today, to replace the mouse and provide a very ergonomic way of interfacing with computers.

Imagine having a video you were watching, and you wanted to copy it to another computer. You point the tool at the video on one screen, press the copy button, then point the tool at a folder icon on your other computer's desktop, press the paste button and the video is copied there.

It could work rather like a pen drive, that interfaces with computers via bluetooth. Pointing the thing at a screen connects the tool like a mouse, identifying whatever is below the cursor and copying the data to the pen drive via bluetooth. To paste, the reverse happens.

It could also do text copying and simple things moved around one computer screen.

I think it would be very useful.

Opinions?

Useful, yes, incredibly. But its still a few years off from being invented, not alot, less than 20.
Old June 5 2008, 12:00 AM   #13
Verteron
Rear Admiral

Warp drive.

It could allow us to get out there and start colonizing the stars, which, ultimately, is the only hope for our future continuation as a species.
Verteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 11:19 AM   #14
Jadzia
on holiday

asdf1 wrote: View Post
Jadzia wrote: View Post
Opinions?
Useful, yes, incredibly. But its still a few years off from being invented, not alot, less than 20.

Well it could be built TODAY, if someone got buy busy with microcontrollers. The only additional driver software to program would be the bit that identifies what to be copied and then gives the copying command. Everything else already happens -- protocols for connecting bluetooth and wireless storage and plugnplay cursors already exist.

So for the identifying bit, there are two ways:

The clever way: Hand tool has a camera which takes a photo of the computer screen it is looking at - the bit in the middle of the image is what the cursor is under. SIMPLE image recognition then relates that to a screen capture image, to see what computer object should be manipulated.

The quick way: On connecting the tool as a plugnplay mouse, it changes the computer's mouse cursor to a flashing dot. The tool has maybe 4 ORP12's (light dependent resistors). These can be arranged as two potential dividers, with series capacitors, one horizontally mounted, one vertically mounted. So there are like 4 eyes looking at the screen from the end of the tool, from the top/bottom/left/right of it. Together these potential dividers measure the RELATIVE position of the flashing light source to the tool on their horz-vert axes. It then nudges the mouse cursor to find an equilibrium where these light sensors are voltage balanced. At this point, the flashing cursor should be in line with the centre of the tool.

That's all there is to it.
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Deks
Rear Admiral

asdf1 wrote: View Post
Deks wrote: View Post
Didn't the Delta Flyer use advanced borg technology, even a standard industrial replicator wouldn't allow you to construct a Delta Flyer.
Replicators in late Voyager timeframe have Borg nano-probes specs, so the thing could be made without Borg systems initially, then replicate a few million nano-probes and modify them to enhance specific systems like on the Flyer.
Simple.