RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,227
Posts: 5,405,711
Members: 24,761
Currently online: 526
Newest member: beakel001

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 9 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Eric Trekkey
Ensign
 
Spock.... WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6408JrvFNWc

One of the greatest vulcans of all time.... this saddens me.
Eric Trekkey is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Why?
Tiberius is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 10:48 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Yeah, why are we sad?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Eric Trekkey
Ensign
 
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Don't get me wrong, I follow Spock and the Enterprise religiously. Its just sad that he's willing to sell out just to keep the Star Trek franchise current.
Eric Trekkey is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Eric Trekkey wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong, I follow Spock and the Enterprise religiously. Its just sad that he's willing to sell out just to keep the Star Trek franchise current.
Current? You do know that you linked to a 40+ year old clip, don't you?
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:05 PM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Spock is selling out? To who? He's a fictional character, and your link is decades old.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Eric Trekkey
Ensign
 
Re: Spock.... WTF?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Spock is selling out? To who? He's a fictional character, and your link is decades old.
Yes I know it's old, I was going through all the old reruns (nostalgia sake) and stumbling on this clip made me realise how much Spock sold out to keep Star Trek current (at the time).

Spock, a man who dedicated his life to the enterprise, suddenly gets vulcan science academy certified and uses emotions once they become popular. Im pretty sure thats fucking selling out. Thats like a band changing their genre to become main stream. Fucking look at the guy, hes a god damn Vulcan, not some sort of emotional stooge. Have you never seen a Star Trek video, or read any Star Trek literature?
Eric Trekkey is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:18 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Spock.... WTF?

This thread was created by a temporal anomaly. There is no other rational explanation for it.

The puzzling thing was...how could have someone been using the internet in 1967?!?
Temis the Vorta is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:20 PM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Eric Trekkey wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Spock is selling out? To who? He's a fictional character, and your link is decades old.
Yes I know it's old, I was going through all the old reruns (nostalgia sake) and stumbling on this clip made me realise how much Spock sold out to keep Star Trek current (at the time).

Spock, a man who dedicated his life to the enterprise, suddenly gets vulcan science academy certified and uses emotions once they become popular. Im pretty sure thats fucking selling out. Thats like a band changing their genre to become main stream. Fucking look at the guy, hes a god damn Vulcan, not some sort of emotional stooge. Have you never seen a Star Trek video, or read any Star Trek literature?
Have you?

Aside from the fact that Spock, the character, has no idea what "Star Trek" is and therefore cannot be accused of selling out to keep it current (whatever that means), Spock is also half human and is perfectly entitled to display emotions.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain
 
Capt_Pickirk's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny ol' Blighty
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
This thread was created by a temporal anomaly. There is no other rational explanation for it.

The puzzling thing was...how could have someone been using the internet in 1967?!?
Same thing anyone can do anything in Star Trek, Quantum
__________________
Capt_Pickirk... also known as Greenpenguino everywhere else but here. Because everywhere else is more awesome than here...

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Eric Trekkey
Ensign
 
Re: Spock.... WTF?

NOTE: Emotions have been around since humans came about, Spock doesnt use them till their a fad. Hence me using the word "Sell out"

Still waiting for a REAL Trekkie's opinion on this. Someone that has been through the original series, next generation, deep space nine, voyager and enterprise, and knows the flaws of todays star trek culture. To be honest Im almost offended, Spock is one of my heroes because I thought he was just a bad ass vulcan, no gimmicks no bullshit... but this plus the vulcan science academy thing is just sad.
Eric Trekkey is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:32 PM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Eric Trekkey wrote: View Post
Spock doesnt use them till their a fad.
What "fad" are you talking about?

Still waiting for a REAL Trekkie's opinion on this.
And with that, you've lost all credibility, not that you had much to start with.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Eric Trekkey
Ensign
 
Re: Spock.... WTF?

People on this site are so quick to personally attack others, without knowing anything about them

Can I assume you've gained all credibility, and had a lot to start with?

He is entitled to display some emotions. The outburst is pointless though, hes hugging kirk, it's way over the top, and he talks about "Jim!" You dont build character depth with what ever the hell that is.
Eric Trekkey is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:49 PM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Eric Trekkey wrote: View Post
People on this site are so quick to personally attack others, without knowing anything about them
Well, you've certainly made yourself at home then.

Can I assume you've gained all credibility, and had a lot to start with?
I like to think that I've gained some. I've been a member here for 11 years. But you going around claiming that I'm not a "real" Trekkie (as if there is such a thing) because I didn't understand your argument certainly didn't help your cause.

For the record, yes, I am a Trekkie. I have seen every episode of every series and own several hundred Star Trek novels. Does that help?

He is entitled to display some emotions. The outburst is pointless though, hes hugging kirk, it's way over the top, and he talks about "Jim!" You dont build character depth with what ever the hell that is.
You haven't answered my question. What "fad" are you talking about? How is it selling out for Spock to get excited because his best friend, who he thought had just been killed, is actually alive?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old January 9 2011, 11:55 PM   #15
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Spock.... WTF?

Eric Trekkey wrote: View Post
People on this site are so quick to personally attack others, without knowing anything about them

Can I assume you've gained all credibility, and had a lot to start with?

He is entitled to display some emotions. The outburst is pointless though, hes hugging kirk, it's way over the top, and he talks about "Jim!" You dont build character depth with what ever the hell that is.
It's a television show. I think you should keep your attitude in check. For a "brand new" board member you're getting carried away.
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.