Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 17 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Darren Aronosfky doing a comic-book version of his Batman script?

Black Swan director Darren Aronosfky was once attached to reboot the Batman film series back before Batman Begins successfully revitalized the then-fledging franchise. He had written a loose adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel Batman: Year One with Miller and he was developing it as a vehicle that he would direct.

He was also developing The Fountain at the time, and Warner Bros. decided not to move forward with Aronosfky's strikingly different vision for the Caped Crusader (even though, according to Aronosfky, WB told him to go in the complete opposite direction from Batman & Robin, and that's exactly what he and Miller did).

Well, Aronosfky is now in pre-production on The Wolverine starring Hugh Jackman, but he recently talked about possibly doing a comic-book version of the Batman: Year One script he was once developing:

CoF: You’ve worked in the comic-book medium before…do you ever feel like realising your vision of something like the Batman story that you were working on as a comic book?

DA: “Well, we’re actually doing one. It hasn’t really been announced, I don’t know if I should give you the scoop! But we’re getting there. We’re doing a comic book of a script that’s really hard to make and we’re going to do a comic version first and see what happens.”
Now, a lot of media outlets are reporting this interview as evidence that Aronosfky will soon take over the Batman franchise after Christopher Nolan, but I honestly think that's incredibly premature speculation at this point, since the article barely suggests that possibility.

However, if we're going to speculate, would you be interested at all in Aronosfky taking over the Batman franchise after Nolan? I would, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. I would be very interested in seeing a comic-book version of the Year One script he was developing with Miller, though. I think that would be interesting to see.
Old January 17 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Darren Aronosfky doing a comic-book version of his Batman script?

Not that I have a problem with this idea or anything, but isn't DC already supposed to be doing a new "Batman Year One" book as a follow up to JMS's Superman: Earth One? That plus the fact that Miller's original GN isn't going anywhere would seam to make yet another one by Aronosfky more than a little redundant.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think people need to look again at the question that was asked and the answer he gave:

CoF: You’ve worked in the comic-book medium before…do you ever feel like realising your vision of something like the Batman story that you were working on as a comic book?

DA: “Well, we’re actually doing one. It hasn’t really been announced, I don’t know if I should give you the scoop! But we’re getting there. We’re doing a comic book of a script that’s really hard to make and we’re going to do a comic version first and see what happens.”
Note - the interviewer says 'a script like the Batman one. And Aaronofsky says that he's doing a comic book of a script that's really hard to make. He doesn't say that he's doing a comic adaptation of his Batman script - merely of a script that's hard to make. 'Something like' Batman.

I'd be nearly sure that he's talking about his proposed Robocop script, which he couldn't get off the ground because it was too costly. I think it's much more likely that he's proposing to get that series off the ground via a comic intro, than him opting to fill Nolan's shoes. Given that he's doing The Wolverine, I really don't see him repeating himself with another superhero.
Old January 17 2011, 04:29 PM   #4
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I totally agree, Captaindemotion. I don't think he's mentioning his Batman: Year One script either.
Old January 17 2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

DC is still planning to announce a release date for "Batman:Earth One" from Geoff Johns and Gary Frank sometime this year. It was originally supposed to be considered for late last year and come out with "Superman:Earth One". I guess I could see Aronfosky adapting his version of the Year One script. Maybe DC will have something to announce soon.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 04:36 PM   #6
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Aronosfky doesn't directly mention that there'll be a comic-book adaptation of his "Year One" script, though. The interviewer asks him if he would be revisiting his "Batman" story as a comic-book, but they aren't specific, and neither is Aronosfky. I mean I can definitely understand how that could be read into as "Aronosfky is making a comic-book version of his "Year One" story", but I guess I'm a little cautious.

Also, even if this is remotely true, I sincerely doubt this means that he's being groomed to take over the Batman franchise, as this article and others suggest.
Old January 17 2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well either way DC's The Source Blog will be where to check out an announcement.

Old January 17 2011, 04:52 PM   #8
the G-man
Commodore

This script is the infamous "Gordon has a beer and cheets on his wife" script with a black Alfred ("Big Al") who runs a body shop?

Pass.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ You mean 'fail'?!
Old January 17 2011, 04:58 PM   #10
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Aronosfky's script was actually pretty decent. As the re-writes continued, it became closer and closer to the classic mythology, and in any event, it was a really unique take on the character.
Old January 17 2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I should add that I'd be all for a Darren Aronfosfky Batman comic despite what story he comes up with. It will be interesting to see if CBR or Newsarama pick up this story as well. Seems weird to me.

Old January 17 2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Saul
Rear Admiral

The script wasn't too bad. It was different. But an interesting new take on the character.
Old January 17 2011, 05:40 PM   #13
the G-man
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ You mean 'fail'?!

No, I mean I'll pass. I don't need another "elseworlds" take on Batman's origin.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 06:23 PM   #14
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Looks like the comic book is a version of Noah.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 12:38 AM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Interesting.