Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 4 2011, 11:18 PM   #31
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: TWILIGHT -- What Do the Vampire Guy and the Werewolf Guy See in Be

Uh oh...(ducks, then sneakily grabs popcorn!)

Are there any sections of the books where Edward and Jacob actually have to work together and have a (by Twilight standards) meaningful conversation?

I admit I read the Wikipedia plot summaries of the books and can only hope the later entries had been vandalized. Conversely, I read some Twilight slash which may be, based on my uninformed opinions, better than the source text...of course, some would argue that that wouldn't take much.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2011, 11:32 PM   #32
Mooch
Fleet Captain

I like Anna Kendrick better, but Kristen Stewart is pretty cute. "Werefolf Guy" and "Vampire Guy" could probably do better, though.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2011, 11:41 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post

Are there any sections of the books where Edward and Jacob actually have to work together and have a (by Twilight standards) meaningful conversation?

I couldn't finish the first book, but there's a bit in the third movie, when they're all stuck in a tent in the woods overnight, where the two guys do finally bond a little bit.

"If you weren't my mortal enemy and trying to steal my reason for living, I think we might be friends."

Or words to that effect . . . .
Old January 4 2011, 11:52 PM   #34
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I think Cracked sums the movies up nicely.

Old January 4 2011, 11:57 PM   #35
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I think its cause the books are written for immature emo teenagers who think their life is crap or something, but there is hope out there, an escape. Its just written for teenagers who are questioning their own path and have no idea about life and what to do with their lives. It really does appeal to teenage girls for some reason, I guess cause they are all messed up in the head as much as Bella is.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 01:09 AM   #36
I am not Spock
Commodore

I'm a guy, and I think Kristen Stewart is pretty. I think people that are saying she's ugly have too high standards. She may not be a supermodel, but she's more representative of your average girl-next-door. As said, this is precisely why she got the part. It tells teen girls 'look, you too can win an Edward Cullen'.

I am by no means a Twilight fan (Buffy/Angel is my vamp romance of choice :P ) but the films do tend to be cast on a looks basis. Is there anyone in these films who is not 'hot'? (BTW, Rachelle Lefevre is the hottest Twilight gal, IMO)
Old January 5 2011, 01:27 AM   #37
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Artemis wrote: View Post
I've heard people claim them to be works of art just because of the way love and edward as the most perfect guy ever are described.
A perfectly intelligent 38 year old friend of mine read them and admitted they were trite, then added, "but the hero is completely dreamy!" I tried to read the first book and found that he's not shown to be dreamy, but we are repeatedly told he's dreamy. Otherwise his defining characteristics are being handsome (what romantic hero isn't?), a young girl's idea of romantic (enjoys staring goo-goo eyed at the object of his affection), and shows up for every unlikely time that Bella is in danger (obvious plot contrivances to bring our two young lovers together). It was when he saves Bella in town and says, "If there's danger in a twelve mile radius, I'll find you in the middle of it" that I closed the book. Like I said - that's bad fan fic writing right there. But, interestingly, chicks love fan fic, and that's often because plot is just an excuse to write scenes of angst and romance which is the fantasy they want to spend their time on - much like guys love comic books because plot is just an excuse to write scenes of courage and action.
Old January 5 2011, 01:31 AM   #38
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

It's the classic girl goes for rebel kinda thing, the cool/bad guy so to speak.

Old January 5 2011, 03:02 AM   #39
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

it's emopires and douchewolves
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 04:26 AM   #40
indranee
Vice Admiral

Artemis wrote: View Post
I've heard people claim them to be works of art just because of the way love and edward as the most perfect guy ever are described.
Would those people by any chance be teenagers?

I can understand Edward's attraction to Bella. She intrigues him by being a closed book. She smells hellishly delicious. And she keeps his secret.

On top of which, he's a hundred plus year old virgin.

1 + 1 = 2.

As for Jacob, he hates Edward and wants what he wants.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 04:29 AM   #41
indranee
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post

I admit I read the Wikipedia plot summaries of the books and can only hope the later entries had been vandalized. Conversely, I read some Twilight slash which may be, based on my uninformed opinions, better than the source text...of course, some would argue that that wouldn't take much.
Yes, there is, but you really, really don't wanna know
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 04:51 AM   #42
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Don't you know? Half-humans, be they vampires, werewolves or whatever, ALWAYS dig chicks with a lazy-eye. Don't see how that would work for the book though.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 08:16 AM   #43
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I think trying to figure out character motivation in Twilight is a pointless exercise. The books are sexist nonsense and I'm very disturbed by the fact that so many young women worship them.
Old January 5 2011, 08:22 AM   #44
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

On the plus side, think how disturbing it would be if men were reading the books to figure out what women actually want...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 11:05 AM   #45
Brent
Admiral

How disturbing is a 100+ year old guy sleeping with a 16/17 year old girl... this goes for any vampire kinda story, Angel and Buffy anyone? The whole thing is kinda creepy anyway, sure, they have the "body" of a younger person, but they've been alive for hundreds of years, that's just, perverted for lusting after a young girl like that.