RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 569
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 18 2011, 05:37 PM   #76
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

1. In the Heat of the Night (A)
2. The Passion of Joan of Arc (B)
3. The Passion of the Christ (A)
4. Mamma Mia! (B)
5. All About Eve (A)
6. Looking for Anne (B-)
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (B+)
8. The King's Speech (A)
9. How Green Was My Valley (B-)

Best known today as the film that "stole" Citizen Kane's Best Picture Oscar (or, if you prefer, The Maltese Falcon's).

The film is a somewhat uneasy mixture of sentimentalism and what was probably gritty realism for the time in which the film was made. However, you'd have to say this is the most nicely-appointed miner's house you'd ever see. The main character's decision to become a coal miner rather than try to get a better job comes across extremely arbitrarily (and, again, I rather doubt anybody who'd watched a father and five brothers come home from a coal mine every day for years would be eager to go down there himself, to the point of spurning other opportunities). There are some really strong moments, though.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 06:20 PM   #77
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

1. The Fighter: B-
2. Batman(90's saga): A-,B-,C-,D
3. Star Wars OT-Special Edition: B+, A, B
4. The Green Hornet: B
5. True Grit(1969): C+
6. Lord of the Rings saga: (A,A,A)
7. The Machinist: A-

Was busy over the MLK weekend with movies.

True Grit(1969) - I admit it's possible that since I hadn't seen the original since college when I was 20/21 back in the mid 90's AND having seen the new one twice that my grade is possibly skewed. I thought the pacing was much more slow even for films of the general era in which it was made that I've seen. The more happy ending must be one of those changes they made for the time it was released. The new one is more aligned to the book and therefore more 'gritty'. I can see better now how even die hard John Wayne fans think his Oscar for the film was more sympathy for a colleague than actually deserving for this one film.

Lord of the Rings saga - I haven't seen these films since 2004 when I friend got a group of us together to watch the DC versions one day. Yes it took a whole day to watch 12+hrs of film which is why I recall it well. I've always appreciated the films but they aren't a 'go to' film for me. Never owned them till Black Friday when the widescreens were $2 each at Wal-Mart. So for that price I'd get them. They really are well made movies and with Fellowship basically 10yrs old it looks like it could've been made just last year. They all hold up very well from a production standpoint and should for years to come. With The Hobbit going into production I'm glad I'm refreshed on Middle Earth now cause this isn't a series I'll frequent again for another 6-7 years.

The Machinist - I finally got this moved up the chain in my Netflix queue after hearing much about it over the years. My concern when watching a movie after nearly everyone else has praised it is that my expectations might be unfairly too high thus letting me down. I didn't find this to be the case at all. For the other 1-2 people who haven't seen it I will not spoil it here but will say I didn't have it all figured out, parts but not all. It's a good film and one that holds your attention in a good and disturbing way all at the same time.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 12:51 PM   #78
mike7184
Cadet

I watched The Social Network and Wall Street this week and both were fine movies.
mike7184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 03:08 PM   #79
Jax
Admiral

Saw the sequel to Wall Street very good movie. I watched Hellboy 2 as well for the first time and while the story was ok-ish I do love Hellboy as a character, very witty.

I watched Easy-A last night and while the reaction of the characters seemed way OTT, it was a nice funny movie and Emma Stone is
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 11:04 PM   #80
Sagart
Fleet Captain

It's been a great start to the year -
Black Swan ~A
The Fighter ~ B
True Grit ~ B+
The King's Speech ~ A+
127 Hours ~ B
Old January 19 2011, 11:08 PM   #81
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Universal Soldier Regeneration - good action movie, great direction, HOTTTT UFC fighters.

R.E.D. - dull, thought it was more clever than it was.

And I'm done!
Old January 19 2011, 11:31 PM   #82
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
R.E.D. - dull, thought it was more clever than it was.
Sequel talk has begun for this film as an fyi.
Old January 20 2011, 01:31 AM   #83
Jax
Admiral

earlier tonight I watched The Kings Speech...

Wonderful, amazing, bloody brilliant It should clean up at the 2011 Oscars.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 03:41 AM   #84
Harvey
Admiral

8. North by Northwest (A)
9. All of Me (B-)
10. Raw Deal [1948] (B-)
11. The Green Hornet (D+)

Raw Deal: This is perhaps one of the best photographed films I've ever seen, and it also features a wonderfully haunting musical score (especially the music that plays over the dreamy voice overs). It's also an entry into film noir, a style/genre/whatever that I particularly enjoy. Yet its script is pretty terrible. The entire third act hinges on one character to reverse her opinion of the main character for no reason. Dialogue can be pretty heavy handed (like when a murder on the run is killed right in front of the main character, an escaped convict, and another character says right to him, "that could be you" as if it wasn't totally evident). In the end, it's beautiful to look at, but less well-constructed when the story is concerned.

The Green Hornet: A tonal mis-mash of a movie, it's occasionally (but rarely) fun. Most of the time, it's squandering a (mostly) terrific cast (except for Jay Chou, who is exceptional despite his weak English) and struggling to decide if it's a comedy, a drama, or some hybrid of the two. It never does figure that out. If there's a sequel, it needs a new set of writers and probably a new director, too (Gondry adds a disappointingly small touch of his usual whimsy to the proceedings).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 10:30 AM   #85
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

4. The Day the earth stood still (1951) - A-
5. An Education (2009) - A
6. Animal Kingdom (2010) - A
7. Black Swan (2010) - A+

A very intense and amazing film. Was quite surprised by Kunas, but Portman really delivered in a role that should get her an Oscar.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 02:56 PM   #86
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

The Fabulous Baker Boys: 4/5
-I realize Jeff Bridges has most of the fame (especially these days), but I think it's worth mentioning that his brother, Beau is a pretty damn good actor, too. In fact I think he outshone his brother throughout most of this.
Stray Dog: 4/5
-Not the best Kurosawa movie I've ever seen, but it was still pretty freaking amazing.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 11:39 PM   #87
Harvey
Admiral

12. Following (B+)
13. The Road to Yesterday (D-)
14. Lethal Weapon (B)

Following: Christopher Nolan's super low-budget debut feature came and went when it was briefly released, but it made enough of an impression to get him the money to make Memento, and the rest is history. And it is a pretty good little thriller (unlike his later work, it's tightly edited to, at a scant 71 minutes) with some beautiful black and white cinematography. I like the way Nolan presents events out of chronological order--it creates meaning, suspense, and mystery in the mind of the audience that wouldn't exist if the story was presented in a more conventional manner.

The ending has a few holes, however. The police conclude that Bill must have totured his girlfriend for the combination to the old man's safe, killed her, and robbed the old man (during which he fought and wounded a man who stumbled across him). The problem is, Bill breaks into the old man's bar, finds the money in the safe, spends an awful long time trying to figure out how he's going to take it without a bag, is interrupted by the man who he wounds, and runs out of there. Afterwards, he finds out he's been duped, so he goes to his girlfriend's flat, confronts her, then he leaves, and finally Cobb shows up, first talking to her, and then finally torturing and killing her. Her time of death and the time of the robbery just don't line up. The movie wants to suggest that Cobb has executed the perfect crime, but things don't quite add up. Any good solicitor should be able to get Bill off.

The Road to Tomorrow: An excruciating and incoherent DeMille silent picture, it's no wonder this one isn't on home video. Part of Evangelical Christian propaganda, part reincarnation fantasy, the film's cosmology is a mess, and, worse, the film is pretty boring (outside of the staging of the collision of two trains, which is pretty spectacular). Worth seeing only for DeMille buffs.

Lethal Weapon: This is still the classic buddy cop movie which has been endlessly emulated and sequel-ized. What's most surprising about revisiting it, however, is how little plot there is (and how hard it is to follow the plot). It has something to do with a group of ex-CIA importing heroin from southeast Asia. There's a few related subplots to this that go nowhere, too.

But those aren't the reason the film is so popular or successful--Lethal Weapon works because of the two lead characters. And, especially in the director's cut, it's all about the characters. I don't think there's a word of plot in the first 45 minutes (at least none that matters), but there's plenty of material where Danny Glover deals with aging and Mel Gibson deals with depression and a death wish. And those are the two things the film is really about. There's just some nonsense involving a nonsensical fistfight with Gary Busey before it can get there.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2011, 03:12 AM   #88
CaptainCanada
Admiral

10. Black Swan (B+)

As I said over in its review thread, great for jump-scares and with a strong lead performance, but it's ultimately pretty shallow.

- Homer Simpson
Old January 22 2011, 03:50 AM   #89
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

1. The Fighter: B-
2. Batman(90's saga): A-,B-,C-,D
3. Star Wars OT-Special Edition: B+, A, B
4. The Green Hornet: B
5. True Grit(1969): C+
6. Lord of the Rings saga: (A,A,A)
7. The Machinist: A-
8. Season of the Witch: B

It's really not a horrible film despite what you may have seen from critics. Again, why do people listen to them? Is it an Oscar winner, no. Is it deserving of a 5% score on RottenTomatoes...HELL NO!!

It's a straight forward period piece with some modest yet effective CGI. A few cliche lines but they are delivered with honest intent. The cinematography was nice, except the dessert scenes, those felt the most CGI'd imo. If you saw the trailer then you know going in that the "witch" isn't innocent. There is an interesting twist in the 3rd act. Not a "sixth sense" twist mind you but they do alter things a bit from where we had thought we were headed.

A fun movie. An entertaining movie.
Old January 22 2011, 04:40 AM   #90
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Again, why do people listen to them?
Because they think they might know what they're talking about? When 95% of any group of people see a movie and give it a thumbs down, people take notice (it has an IMDB score of 5.7, while Metacritic's agglommerated rating is 28/100, and its CinemaScore rating was C+, which is terrible).

- Homer Simpson