MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 28 2011, 08:38 AM   #811
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

I've seen a ton of movies since I last posted, so I'm just going to quickly go through them to get this half-way up to date.

159. Take Shelter (B)

It's still a powerful, very well-acted film, but it doesn't work nearly as well the second time around when you know the ending. It's a very dark and convincing film about mental illness, but when it veers away from being grounded in reality it falls to pieces.

160. Dirty Girl (B)

The Weinstein company is pouring a lot of money behind this movie, from first time writer/director Abe Sylvia (who did a fantastic Q&A at the screening I attended), and I hope they make their money back. It's not a perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it has a good cast, especially the newcomers (Juno Temple and Jeremy Dozier), and I can't believe how harshly some critics have savaged the movie.

161. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (A)

Nicholas Meyer kept the Star Trek franchise going with this movie, which is certainly one of the best features of the series, if not entries, period. After seeing it so many times, though, what's really left to say? The Blu-ray looks great (grumblings about color timing aside), although I do miss many of the scenes from the longer version of the movie. I assume that will eventually be released in HD as well -- whenever Paramount wants to squeeze more money out of me, probably.

162. Moneyball (B)

This isn't nearly as funny as the advertisements have been pushing it to be (just about all of the snappy lines, characteristic of co-writer Aaron Sorkin, are in the trailer), but it's still a pretty decent baseball movie (and, for once in that genre, not a box office disaster). Phillip Seymour Hoffman is playing a nothing of a character, though. I'm sure he only agreed to do the movie out of loyalty for the director, who helped him earn the Oscar for Capote. Brad Pitt is great, as he's been pretty steadily for the past ten years (if not longer), but the real stand out is Jonah Hill, who works well in a drama/comedy like this, perhaps better than he's worked in most of the comedies I've seen him in.

163. The Killer Inside Me (D+)

This is the second time this novel (which I think is terrific) has been filmed, and by all accounts (though I haven't seen the version starring Stacey Keach) it's just as bad as the first try at it. Surprises that worked on the page (the fate of Jessica Alba's character, for instance) are obvious on screen, and the conclusion is taken far too literally by the screenwriter and the director to work. Most of the characters seem to be two-dimensional figures on screen and, worse, the film never let's us buy into the main character's insane belief that he could get away with all the murders he commits like the book does. It's clear from the get go that nobody buys a word Lou Ford (Casey Affleck, miscast) says. And the stylish, Tarantino-like opening credits (as cool as they are) strike a tone that is totally wrong for the rest of the movie.

164. Sappho (D)

This was a forgettable, contrived, and boring silent film from the early twenties. Luckily, it was presented with a graduate student's introduction, several times more entertaining and interesting then the film itself. It's no surprise it isn't on home video.

165. Airplane II: The Sequel (C+)

Some parts of this movie (warning: vacuum) work so very well, but so much of the movie is spent re-treading the first film (often, there are extended flashbacks to that movie, only reminding us that it had a better jokes) that it never really works on its own. William Shatner's role is pretty amusing, though, demonstrating his ability for self-deprecation that would be further exploited beginning with Free Enterprise in the late 90s.

173 movies this year...I'm getting there.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 09:30 AM   #812
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Machine Gun Preacher - free screenin'
The Ides of March - free screenin'
Real Steel - free screenin'
127 Hours - HBO on Demand
Fireflies in the Garden - free screenin'
The Thing (2011) - free screenin'
The Crow: City of Angels - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest II: The Other Side - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest III - Netflix Instant
The Way - free screenin'
Beneath the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Escape from the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Knight and Day - More Max/Cinemax
The Last Man on Earth - AMC on Demand
The Kids are Alright - Cinemax on Demand
The Rite - HBO
Unstoppable - HBO on Demand
Psycho (1960)- Cinemax on Demand
Psycho III - Cinemax on Demand

I gotta wonder why Cinemax on Demand would have the first & third movies in the series, but not the second (or fourth).

Apparently Norman Bates spent 22 years in a psych ward before bein' released for the first sequel. Some shit happened, but Norman is still free in the second sequel, while Mother goes around killin' folks.

And Anthony Perkins directed it, too.
Old October 28 2011, 06:45 PM   #813
LitmusDragon
Commodore

79. Magic Trip (2011) - B. Documentary about Ken Kesey's original drug-fueled magic bus ride from California to New York featuring a great deal of the footage that Kesey and others shot during that actual trip. Entertaining and informative, both about the larger-than-life Kesey himself and about that time period in general. It also contains one really great animated sequence where Kesey is describing his original experiences with acid taking the drug in a psych ward as a test subject for the government. Great juxtaposition of new interviews and old footage.

80. The Lady of Names (2011) - B. Claymation feature film from Canada. I had a chance to see this at the Eugene International Film Festival on the big screen with about 3 other people in the theater, lol. This movie feels like a throwback to the 80s, in a good way. While most modern stop-motion animation tries for surrealism or a hyper-realistic look, this looks more like those old California Raisins shorts (a cliched comparison in regards to claymation I know, but in this case it really applies). The story is pretty simplistic but is saved from mediocrity by having a few original ideas behind it. Good movie for fans of animation in a historical context.

81. Bright (2011) - A. Amazing short film I also saw at the film festival, this was just a top notch short film in terms of acting, story, production, and cinematography. It's a really difficult film to summarize so I'll just copy/paste from IMBD: "A surprisingly contemplative drama centered on a blind man (Robert Wisdom) who must guide a quirky young man (Eric Nenninger) through a desperate fear." Anyway I really liked it.

I saw a number of other short films at the festival but Bright was the standout so I'll just leave it at that one.
Old October 28 2011, 11:23 PM   #814
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

10/26 Captain America ✭✭✭✭
10/26 Red State ✭✭✭
10/28 Lake Mungo ✭✭
Old October 29 2011, 03:58 AM   #815
tajer
Cadet

Inception (2010) - Nolan did a great job directing this movie.
tajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 07:50 AM   #816
od0_ital
Admiral

The Way - free screenin'
The Rite - HBO
Jeepers Creepers - FLIX on Demand

I tried to watch the House of Wax remake on AMC this mornin'...got about an hour into it before I gave up. Fuckin' hate Paris Hilton but couldn't stand to watch it 'til she got killed off.

Feel bad, too, 'cause I know Brian Van Holt, who I met a few years back when he was filmin' Man of the House in Austin, and he's in the movie.

Anyway, watched Jeepers Creepers on FLIX on Demand. Seems like all the language was intact - heard a few "shit!"s & such - but I think they must have edited some gore.

Creepy movie, but not really scary. And I'm not in a rush to see the sequel, or anything.

Startin' to rewatch The Sopranos via HBO on Demand now...
Old October 29 2011, 06:03 PM   #817
CaptainCanada
Admiral

150. Ben-Hur (B+)
151. Only Angels Have Wings (B)

1939 Howard Hawks movie starring Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Thomas Mitchell, and Rita Hayworth. Set in a South American banana republic in the world of dangerous private airline pilots, it's competently made but rather scattershot. From its stars you might think it was a comedy, but it isn't (much like The Talk of the Town). Grant isn't as miscast in this part, but his natural urbane persona feels a bit out of place here. Jean Arthur's in top form, and Thomas Mitchell gives a typically good performance. The flying scenes, of which there are many, are spectacular for the era; there's a lengthy shot of a plane landing that would look great even today.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2011, 10:23 AM   #818
od0_ital
Admiral

The Way - free screenin'
The Rite - HBO
Jeepers Creepers - FLIX on Demand
Black Sunday - Cinemax

Black Sunday was on Cinemax the other day, so I set the DVR, and just now watched it.

I liked Robert Shaw in Jaws and have liked Bruce Dern in just about everything, so it was worth checkin' out. Nice to know where Tom Clancy got the idea for The Sum of All Fears.

Bruce Dern is a former American POW who gets involved with a terrorist cell and their plot to blow up the Super Bowl. Robert Shaw is a foreign intelligence operative who comes to America to track the cell down.

Pretty good movie.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is on now...haven't seen this movie in years...
Old October 30 2011, 08:46 PM   #819
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Boneshaker wrote: View Post
10/26 Red State ✭✭✭
10/28 Lake Mungo ✭✭
That's cool, how did you do the stars?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2011, 10:36 PM   #820
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
10/26 Red State ✭✭✭
10/28 Lake Mungo ✭✭
I just started copying and pasting them from somewhere. It's part of the wingdings font.
Old October 30 2011, 10:48 PM   #821
CaptainCanada
Admiral

150. Ben-Hur (B+)
151. Only Angels Have Wings (B)
152. Midnight Cowboy (B-)

I can imagine that this would have appeared a really bracing view of the streets of New York in 1969, in the same way that The French Connection did two years later, but in retrospect it's dated and unconvincing in many respects. Ebert's review from the time pegged it pretty well. The traumatic backstory of Jon Voight's character glimpsed in flashback seems utterly at odds with how he acts in the present, and director Schlesinger uses a lot of flourishes that don't suit the material at all. Two great lead performances, however, from Voight and Hoffman.

- Homer Simpson
Old October 30 2011, 11:09 PM   #822
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I'm shocked there are only 4 movies you've seen this year that you didn't give at least a B- to.
Old October 30 2011, 11:34 PM   #823
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Five, I believe (The Last Airbender, Mr. Deeds Goes To Town, The Great McGinty, Hoosiers, The Postman Always Rings Twice).

I've gotten very good at identifying films that I'll like.

- Homer Simpson
Old October 31 2011, 12:06 AM   #824
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
10/26 Red State ✭✭✭
10/28 Lake Mungo ✭✭
I just started copying and pasting them from somewhere. It's part of the wingdings font.
The copy/past part makes sense.
I knew about wingdings and thought you accessing them from the 'reply message' area within the site. Makes sense knowing your copy/pasting then.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 12:18 AM   #825
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure there's some code but I have absolutely no idea what it is.