A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 21 2011, 06:09 PM   #571
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

53. Rashomon (1950) - B. Nice little Samurai detective story (that's about the only way I can describe it). A murder is shown from several points of view and the viewer is left to determine what had really happened. Like a lot of the Japanese cinema that I've seen, the inequality of gender and class roles figures heavily here and is addressed in an interesting way, as the man, woman, upper and lower class all view the incident differently, and what they see says a lot about where Japanese culture had been, and where it was going in the future.
Old July 21 2011, 06:33 PM   #572
Harvey
Admiral

102. The Kid (B-)
103. Sunrise (B-)
104. Planet of the Apes (A)

The Kid: Charlie Chaplin's first feature film, and perhaps the first comedy to reach feature length, although at 68 minutes it's probably a little short for modern audiences. I enjoyed it, although it's hard not to agree with Chaplin's critics that he's overly sentimental -- he doesn't just tug on your heart strings, he tries to yank them out. I definitely prefer one of his later features to this movie -- Modern Times is better, for sure.

Sunrise: This film, by German director F.W. Murnau (though made in Hollywood), is often cited as the peak of silent cinema. I don't know if I would go that far -- I think I would point to a number of silent comedies or perhaps the overblown but enjoyable Metropolis before picking this movie. Visually, of course, it's remarkable. Even today the cinematography is quite impressive, and it's inspired a half-dozen other movies I could name off the top of my head. Still, I wasn't quite on board with the film, at least during this viewing.

I suppose my major problem with the film is the protagonist (none of the characters have names in the film). He continuously relapses into downright psychopathic tendencies (he pulls a knife on a guy in a salon for just looking at his wife -- the same wife who he had planned to kill only hours earlier so he could run off with the women he's been seeing behind her back) and yet we're supposed to buy into his wife's love for him and find him sympathetic. I've had people tell me that I'm treating the film too literally -- that the characters should be viewed as archetypal figures -- "man" and "woman." Maybe they're right. I have no doubt that I'll revisit this film in another class sometime in the future.

Planet of the Apes: With a new remake/prequel to the series on the way, I've been meaning to revisit the original series. Happily, my girlfriend picked up the 5-disc box set on Blu-Ray (and it looks gorgeous in HD). I still think it's a great movie, and even the ape make-up holds up surprisingly well (it's no wonder John Chambers earned a special Academy Award for his efforts). And, man, what a bleak ending (which would become a series trademark, at least for the first two or three movies) -- how a major studio picture got away with that I have no idea.

Just saw my 123rd move of the year last night. I think I'll have caught up to that point sometime by 2014.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 08:14 PM   #573
CaptainCanada
Admiral

90. The Apartment (A-)
91. Captain America: The First Avenger (A-)

Discussed over the review thread, but in brief, the best superhero movie of the summer, and Marvel's best since Iron Man.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 09:42 PM   #574
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I really want to see it. I was certainly ready to make my own call about "Captain America", but it does buoy my own interest a little that people seem to be digging it so much.

Perfect Blue: 5/5
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 11:07 PM   #575
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Killers - Netflix Instant
Push - DVD rental
Ron White: Behavioral Problems - DVD rental
All*Star Superman - DVD rental
Captain America: The First Avenger - midnight screenin'

Went up to High Point last night for the midnin' screenin' of Captain America.

Good movie, I liked it.

Stick around through the end credits for a bonus scene AND a teaser for The Avengers!
Old July 23 2011, 01:36 AM   #576
Finn
Vice Admiral

Bad Teacher

C-
Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 04:50 AM   #577
WHF
Captain

1. The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)
I like Cary Grant and this is a typical Grant romantic comedy. Enjoyable.

2. Pride of the Yankees (1942)
4. Sergeant York (1941)
9. Along Came Jones (1945)
64. For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)
98. Beau Geste (1939)

These films all share Gary Cooper. I first saw Cooper last year in a film with Marlene Dietrich: Morocco, and I liked that film. After watching these five films I don't think Cooper is a very good actor, although I did like him in Beau Geste. He is better in that film, and Morocco, probably because he doesn't have to carry the film by himself.

3. The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009) If you never see this movie you haven't missed anything but if you run across it on TV and there's nothing else on have a look.

5. Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) Rob Corddry is pretty good in this. The closing credits are very good and maybe the best part of the movie.

197. Caesar and Cleopatra (1945) I was only going to watch the introduction of this film because I had seen the previews of the introduction on TCM. In the intro the expert talks about the film as a positive portrayal of an Arab woman. Just one problem: Cleopatra was of Greek descent.
I watched the beginning of the movie and I couldn't turn it off. Claude Rains as Caesar and Vivien Leigh as Cleopatra are very good together. The main supporting actors are quite fun as well and then the addition of a very good script by George Bernard Shaw make this a film well worth watching.
Old July 24 2011, 12:31 AM   #578
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - C-
2. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A
3. Black Swan (2010) - A+
4. The Social Network (2010) - A
5. Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - B
6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009) - B
7. Winter's Bone (2010) - C+
8. The Kids are All Right (2010) - A
9. The Lovely Bones (2009) - D
10. 127 Hours (2010) - A
11. Source Code (2011) - B
12. Kick-Ass (2010) - B
13. Thor (2011) - B+
14. X-Men: First Class (2011) - B
15. Easy A (2010) - B
16. Bridesmaids (2011) - A+
17. Super 8 (2011) - B+
18. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010) - B-
19. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - B+

I've been mightily impressed with Marvel this year, going from the attitude of "of more comic book movies starring guys who probably took staroids" to "Hey, this is pretty fun and I'm actually getting Antzy for The Avengers next year". This movie, along with Thor has really opened my eyes towards this genre of film this summer. Not being a fan of the comic books, I found this one fun, somewhat well written, but just having the same attitude as Iron Man, which in terms of humor, this one came close to being. I think I liked this movie better than Thor though because it was entirely earth bound, and I felt like I can relate to the main guy a bit, at least at the beginning. I could have done without the song and dance America Rah Rah scenes, but I understand why they were there.

Really also liked the ending and the stuff after the credits. The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises in 2012, should be an awesome summer.

20. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011) - B

Nice conclusion to the franchise. This one felt livelier than part one, in that it started bringing things together that the last movie lacked. Really loved the Snape scenes and watching how things came together felt really rewarding.

The ending though I wish could have been a little more emotional. Perhaps this is how the books ended, but I kind of wish they had taken a liberity to maybe "pat themselves on the back". I mean this is a franchise, 8 movies in 10 years and in that time we saw Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint grow up and become mature young adults. I don't know if I'm going to see Watson again (I hope so) and I really liked Hermione, but it was the three of them that made this movie. I wanted to be more emotional in terms of saying goodbye to these characters and felt like they could have done something more. Not have it be over the top mind you, but just something. I know life goes on and they had to be true to the books, but still. Yeah I know this is me being picky and it was probably never going to happen, but it would have been nice.
Old July 24 2011, 01:53 AM   #579
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - B
2. Amelie (2001) - A
3. A Simple Plan (1998) - A
4. City of God (2002)- C
5. Grey Gardens (1975) - C
6. Roger and Me (1989) - A+
7. Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - B
8. High Noon (1952) - D
9. Revanche (2008) - F
10. Love Liza (2002) - D-
11. My Sister's Keeper (2009) - A
12. The King's Speech (2010) - A
13. The Social Network (2010) - A+
14. Black Swan (2010) - A+
15. Psycho (1960) - A-
16. Reagan (2010) - A
17. Date Night (2010) - C-
18. Too Big to Fail (2011) - B+
19. The Captains (2011) - B+

Last edited by HaventGotALife; July 24 2011 at 02:05 AM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:21 AM   #580
CaptainCanada
Admiral

90. The Apartment (A-)
91. Captain America: The First Avenger (A-)
92. Ordinary People (A-)

1980's Best Picture winner, subsequently the target of innumerable jabs that it shouldn't have beaten Raging Bull. I've already gone on record this year as being rather underwhelmed by Raging Bull, and I possibly liked this more. It's a pretty straightforward story, and it's one of those films (possibly like Raging Bull, actually) where the subject matter isn't remotely as provocative as it was at the time. Family dysfunction become exceptionally ordinary these days, thanks to The Simpsons. However, the four main performances are all exceptional, and there are a couple of really powerful scenes; in particular, the climactic moment between Timothy Hutton and Judd Hirsch is extremely moving. Hutton was Best Supporting Actor for this movie, and it's an amazing performance - however it's also Hailee Steinfeld-level category fraud. No way in hell is he not the lead.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:29 AM   #581
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

58. 9 Songs: F
59. Kings Speech: A-
60. Whiteout: C+
61. Passion Play: D+
62. Captain America: The First Avenger: A-

The movie fires on all cylinders as a period piece that captures the essence of a War Movie, Spy Movie, Adventure Movie all rolled into one. Paced well, Acted supremely and Directed fantastically. Don't miss this one. If you were let down by any of the others don't let that deter you from this Marvel Studios installment that places the last piece of The Avengers puzzle into place.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 06:57 PM   #582
LitmusDragon
Commodore

54. Wall-E (rewatch) - A. Quite possibly Pixar's best film, and certainly their most arty and political film. The image of the devolved stubby humans on the spaceship is quite disturbing and yet not all that hard to imagine given the way society seems to be headed. This movie makes me want to turn off my television and go for a walk. Wall-E and Eve are both deeply human characters and their romance is quite touching.

55. Tron Legacy - C+. Mostly cliche-filled nonsense with one or two good ideas and some pretty visuals.
Old July 24 2011, 08:53 PM   #583
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

5. The Hangover [2009]- A
6. The Hangover Part II [2011]- B
7. X-Men: First Class [2011]- B
8. Transformers: Dark of the Moon [2011]- B-
9. I Am Number Four [2011]- D
10. Thor [2011]- A-
11. Green Lantern [2011]- D
12. Captain America: The First Avenger [2011]- B

Really impressed with Captain America! I had some serious reservations about this one going in, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. I'm usually not one for period pieces, but I am a huge fan of Cap and I thought it was very well done.
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 04:09 AM   #584
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Captain America: The First Avenger" (2011) A .

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:00 PM   #585
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

59. Kings Speech: A-
60. Whiteout: C+
61. Passion Play: D+
62. Captain America: The First Avenger: A-
63. Marley & Me: A

What a gut wrencher of a movie. I knew how this movie was going to end from all the talk I've ever heard about it. I felt I was braced for it and yet it still got to me. If you've ever had a dog, even a good one you can still relate to how as an owner the Grogan's feel about their dog. It did not help that my own beagle sensed I was upset as the movie ended and came over to me to lick my face. That did not help. Not. At. All.

The last line was great even though I feel I've seen/heard it before. "Give a dog your heart and he'll give you his"
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote