Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 13 2011, 01:17 AM   #556
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

80. To Have and Have Not (B)
81. The Big Sleep (A-)
82. Barry Lyndon (B+)
83. The Snake Pit (B+)
84. Hoosiers (C-)
85. Rocky (A-)
86. Midnight in Paris (B+)

As a rule I prefer Allen's dramas/dramedies to the outright comedies, but this was quite charming (I saw it with my mother, who also really liked it). It's a very light piece of filmmaking, but Allen himself acknowledges this in-text, when Owen Wilson describes his final revelation about nostalgia as a "minor" truth. It's a lot of fun, all the same, though only for the very culturally literate (though many of these writers, painters, etc. are still household names). Owen Wilson is a good fit for the Woody Allen role, and there's an all-star roster of actors playing cameo parts as famous people in the past (though the show is stolen by Corey Stoll as Ernest Hemingway). Rachel McAdams is kind of wasted as the obviously-inappropriate fiancee; Marion Cotillard is lovely.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 04:56 PM   #557
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

56. Green Lantern: First Flight: B
57. Transformers: Dark of the Moon: B-
58. 9 Songs: F
59. Kings Speech: A-
60. Whiteout: C+

This Kate Beckinsale thriller/action film takes place in the Antarctic. Kate is a US Marshall who takes the post as a means to rehab a tragedy that happened to her with her former partner during another posting in Miami(I think Miami).

I was thinking this movie might skew more towards something "otherworldly" aka The Thing. I can chalk that up to my expectation and lack of research on the movie I suppose. I watched it cause I like Kate. She did a fine job but at times it seemed her and the cast were playing very flat. That can't be a coincidence, I tried to rationalize that as them "acting" like people surrounded by the elements.

Anyway my lead and first suspect turned out to be the actual baddie. As other red herrings are seen I think that played to why I thought the acting was flat, not the elements. After basically giving away the baddie early every other character gives stoic, questioning postures/looks as if to say "Are you sure, maybe it's really me?".

The item everyone is in search of it also not as exotic, ie alien, toxic, as I'd hoped. Turns out it's a regular ole cliche item.

I give it a C+ for the uniqueness of the location, the action scenes were good given the limitations of the environment and Kate in the shower is always a plus, they should've done that twice probably.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 01:52 AM   #558
Harvey
Admiral

99. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended (A)
100. The Mark of Zorro [1920] (C-)
101. Transformers (D)

The Two Towers: I had only seen the theatrical version of this movie previously, but when the Extended Editions were shown in theatres I couldn't turn down the chance to see it (even if there were shown via digital projection). It's even better than I remember, and the only fat I notice in the Extended Edition is a bit of business between Sam and Frodo at the very beginning. Other than that, there isn't a scene that doesn't feel like it should be cut. Before my view was that the only great film in the series was the theatrical version of The Fellowship of the Ring, but I'm happy to say the Extended Edition of The Two Towers also qualifies.

The Mark of Zorro: This Douglas Fairbanks silent from 1920 was...hard to get through, to say the least. As Zorro, Fairbanks is delightful and convincing, performing stunts that are just as much fun as those in the more modern film versions of the character. But once Fairbanks takes off the mask it falls to pieces. Don Diego is grating -- laughing incessantly at everything that happens -- and without the aid of the black costume, Fairbanks reveals that he is far too old to be playing the part at this point in his life. Apparently there's a 90 minute version of the movie that exists, but unfortunately I saw the longer, 107 minute cut that has been released on DVD. Suffice it to say, it could easily be cut down to 90 minutes, just by shortening scenes. Actors seem to be speaking forever before the inter-titles appear...which then proceed to last as equally long.

Transformers: Until now, I had never seen a Transformers movie. After this, I probably won't be seeing another one. It's nothing but a loud, overlong, obnoxious movie that feels the need to plaster the walls with blatant product placement and a huge cast of actors, each playing a "character" flimsier than the next. Honestly, this shouldn't be a hard movie to pull off -- just give us a robot fight scene or two before the first 45 minutes. But, no, Bay fixates on his (barely) human characters for ages, and then when the fight scenes do come around they're so incomprehensible as to be meaningless. And this is the one Roger Ebert saw fit to give three stars. I have absolutely no desire to see the train wrecks that the second and third films in the series undoubtedly are.

117 films so far this year. Still behind.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 06:39 PM   #559
CaptainCanada
Admiral

81. The Big Sleep (A-)
82. Barry Lyndon (B+)
83. The Snake Pit (B+)
84. Hoosiers (C-)
85. Rocky (A-)
87. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (B+)

Talked about this in the main review thread; a good conclusion to the series, though not the best.

88. Key Largo (B-)

The final of four collaborations between Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, directed by John Huston in the same year he directed Bogart in the much-better The Treasure of Sierra Madre. Much like Bogart and Bacall's first collaboration, we're substantively ripping off Casablanca here with Bogart's character, yet another cynic faced with the opportunity to engage with the world. There are some good parts, but I never found it particularly engaging; the interactions between Bogart and Bacall are perfunctory. There are some enjoyable supporting performances, including Lionel Barrymore and Edward G. Robinson (whose film legacy has been rendered somewhat difficult to take seriously by the creation of Chief Wiggum). Claire Trevor won an Oscar for her role as Robinson's drunk girlfriend; it's an okay performance, but they'd have done better to give it to Jean Simmons for Hamlet.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 16 2011, 07:02 PM   #560
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

57. Transformers: Dark of the Moon: B-
58. 9 Songs: F
59. Kings Speech: A-
60. Whiteout: C+
61. Passion Play: D+

Starring Mickey Rourke, Megan Fox and Bill Murray this DDVD film about a down on his luck trumpet player who runs into a real angel is fairly mundane.

Mickey Rourke(Nate) sleeps with mobster boss Happy(Murray) wife and is to be taken to the desert and shot. Some rouge Indians(?), we never fully see them we just get Nate's description, kill the assassin. Nate wanders the desert and stumbles upon a carnival where Lily is being held as a side show.

Murray's Happy is the real treat of the movie imo and saves it from being utter crap. A nearly naked Fox for moments in the film is even bland if you can imagine that.

Then the ending implies that
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 09:42 PM   #561
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II" 3/4 Stars. An excellent finale to a remarkable saga that has allowed us to follow the careers of three actors who started this when they were nine years old. I found this to be brilliant in some parts, emotional in other parts, and just plain fun. I suspect that when viewed back to back with part one the entirety of the film will make more sense and the pacing will be tighter. There were a few small problems but those were too minor to bring up. I will be seeing this at least three more times.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 03:17 PM   #562
CaptainCanada
Admiral

81. The Big Sleep (A-)
82. Barry Lyndon (B+)
83. The Snake Pit (B+)
84. Hoosiers (C-)
85. Rocky (A-)
87. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (B+)
88. Key Largo (B-)
89. Bridge on the River Kwai (A)

Sir David Lean's equivalent to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the point where everything got much, much bigger. The first film of his I watched with Dr. Zhivago, so it was weird going back to Brief Encounter and his Dickens adaptations, which all clock in at under two hours; Kwai is 2 hours and 41 minutes, and of the remaining four films of Lean's career, only one would be under three hours.

For all its length, it's quite a tight film; unlike Zhivago, there were no stretches where I felt it dragged. Alec Guinness is superb as Colonel Nicholson, the iron-willed British officer whose ideas of unit integrity and desire for a legacy overpower larger strategic considerations. After defeating Colonel Saito in a battle of wills, he basically proceeds to do Saito's job for him (my favourite scene in the movie is the first staff meeting where Saito can do little but sit in shock as he watches the British officers completely take control of his operation). William Holden feels a little out of place to me (unsurprisingly, he was a studio mandate), particularly early on; his attitude is annoying.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 18 2011, 06:51 PM   #563
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

[QUOTE=od0_ital;5084048]

Killers - Netflix Instant
Push - DVD rental

That's right! Even with access to Netflix Instant, I still rented a DVD! Ya know why? Too many goddamn options, I can't figure out what to watch!!!

So, anyway...

I rented Push the other night, since it was free with the XBox game rental (Lego Star Wars III). And I was able to watch it on my laptop while Kol & Tam played WoW, so that's another plus, since his play time ties up the tv.

Pretty good movie, a lot better than I expected it to be. Chris Evans & Dakota Fanning made for interestin' buddies, and I liked the ideas in the movie.

Too bad there won't be a sequel, 'cause the endin' is screamin' for one...
Old July 19 2011, 12:02 PM   #564
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Winnie-The-Pooh" (2001) 4/4 stars. This movie was wonderful and brought back so many childhood memories for me. These characters and A.A. Milne's world has been very special to me for a number of reasons so I was very please to see that the film took inspiration for a couple of stories from the books. The hand drawn animation was awesome. The score and soundtrack were beautiful...especially Zooey Deschanel's rendition of the theme song. You could tell she was probably having fun recording it. John Cleese is the narrator and is just delightful.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 02:54 PM   #565
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
And this is the one Roger Ebert saw fit to give three stars.
Actually according to his blog/webpage, he gave Transformers 3 one star.

Edit: Oh, nvm. You were talking about Transformers 1.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 04:05 PM   #566
CaptainCanada
Admiral

90. The Apartment (A-)

One of the most melancholy comedies I've ever watched (indeed, until the two leads are in the apartment for a few days after her suicide attempt, there's really not that much humour). Perhaps part of this is that it's in black-and-white, which I find generally inhibits comedy to modern sensibilities (whereas it enhances other genres). But a lot of it is deliberate; this is almost a workplace/romance drama, the sort of thing I imagine the creators of Mad Men took a lot of inspiration from (particularly given the similar setting). Jack Lemmon is one of the most empathetic actors to ever work in Hollywood, particularly when he got older; this younger Lemmon is a bit different, but still has the same qualities. Shirley MacLaine is also great, in what is pretty much exclusively a dramatic part (with a few caustic lines that are bleakly humourous).

- Homer Simpson
Old July 21 2011, 05:00 AM   #567
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

The Adjustment Bureau (8)
Afro Samurai: Resurrection (7)
Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Alone Again (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Finder (8)
Babylon 5: River of Souls (7)
Babylon 5: Thirdspace (7)
Black Swan (9)
Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
Broken Blade 4: The Land of Disaster (9)
Broken Blade 5: Death's Horizon (9)
Cutthroat Island (9)
Drive Angry (7)
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (9)
Godkiller (6)
Green Lantern (8)
Hanna (8)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (8)
I Am Number Four (8)
Infernal Affairs (7)
Kamui (4)
The Garden of Sinners Movie 8: Epilogue (9)
Loups=Garous (8)
The Mechanic (2011) (9)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
Munto: The Movie (6)
Musashi Miyamoto (6)
Outlander (8)
Pirates of the Caribean: On Stranger Tides (9)
Priest (5)
Source Code (9)
Super 8 (8)
Thor (9)
Time of Eve (10)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (9)
Unknown (7)
Versus (6)
X-Men: First Class (8)
Your Highness (3)
Old July 21 2011, 07:00 AM   #568
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - C-
2. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A
3. Black Swan (2010) - A+
4. The Social Network (2010) - A
5. Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - B
6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009) - B
7. Winter's Bone (2010) - C+
8. The Kids are All Right (2010) - A
9. The Lovely Bones (2009) - D
10. 127 Hours (2010) - A
11. Source Code (2011) - B
12. Kick-Ass (2010) - B
13. Thor (2011) - B+
14. X-Men: First Class (2011) - B
15. Easy A (2010) - B
16. Bridesmaids (2011) - A+
17. Super 8 (2011) - B+
18. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010) - B-

When this movie came out, I decided I was going to hold off seeing part one until part two came out so I can see both of them in a short period of time. I'm hopefully going to see Part 2 this weekend so I saw Part 1 tonight.

I've really been enjoying this series and I haven't read the books, and my first observation is how great it's been watching Gant, Watson, and Radcliffe grow up in front of our eyes. Recently when I went to the movies and they had that movie pre-shows, they had a featurette on Harry Potter and just seeing the three from Sorceror's Stone to know was almost shocking.

As for this movie, it was mostly set up, but there were parts I enjoyed. However, I felt this movie kind of dragged in the middle, seeing Potter and Hermine just sitting around I was waiting for something big to happen. Hey, it's the final movie of the series, right? The final battle it coming, and we have the whole movie of the three kind of fighting with each other and looking awkwardly at each other. I know they wanted it to be close to the book, but as someone who didn't read the book, they could have easily trimmed down a half hour or so.

As to what I liked, pretty much the final half hour of the film which is pretty much the case for all the films. That final half hour was really the biggest point of the film, explaining, finally, what is going on, the Deathly Hallows and all that good stuff. It's got me interested in part 2, but I actually see the same problem creep up here like in other Harry Potter movies. They build so much momentum at the end of the movie that the next one feels like a let down until the end. Hopefully I don't feel that with Part 2.

sjsharksfan39

Last edited by FelizNavidad; July 21 2011 at 07:46 AM.
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 01:28 PM   #569
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

[QUOTE=od0_ital;5106409][QUOTE=od0_ital;5084048]

Killers - Netflix Instant
Push - DVD rental
Ron White: Behavioral Problems - DVD rental
All*Star Superman - DVD rental

Watched Ron White's third comedy special (not countin' Blue Collar Comedy). He's still funny, and this one was better than You Can't Fix Stupid but not as good as They Call Me 'Tater Salad'.

If ya liked those, ya would like this, if not, don't bother...

All*Star Superman was kinda lame, though. I kept dozin' off last night while watchin' it, so I shut it down for the night. Started it back up this mornin', and it still ended poorly.

The basic idea bein' that while workin' for the government, Lex Luthor finally succeeds in a plan to kill Superman. So, Superman puts his affairs in order, more or less, and dies at the end of the movie. Seriously. He gives Lois a day with superpowers, stops two other Kryptonians from takin' over the world, and saves the planet itself one last time.

And he makes Lex feel like a dick for everything he's done.

On the plus side, both were free rentals. I kinda like this place - they gave me a bunch of coupons when I started my membership last week, and have quite a few deals goin' on.

Thinkin' I'm gonna go to the midnight Captain America tonight up in High Point...
Old July 21 2011, 05:58 PM   #570
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Take Me Home Tonight: 3/5
POTC: On Stranger Tides: 3/5.
White Heat: 5/5.
-I read somewhere that this movie was an influence on Tim Burton's "Batman" (especially in the Axis Chemicals showdown near the beginning), but wow, did I not truly appreciate the notion of that until I saw this. James Cagney at his menacing, deranged best.
The Searchers: 4/5.
-Scorsese loves the living hell out of this movie. I can see why, but I didn't quite like it enough to give it a five. I thought it dragged a little. That ending was absolutely powerhouse though. One of the best last scenes I've ever seen in a movie.
What's Up, Tiger Lilly?: 4/5
-"The Interviewer: Woody, since the story is a bit difficult to follow, would you mind giving the audience and myself a brief rundown on what's gone on so far?
Woody Allen: [casually] No."
The Green Lantern: 1/5
-Fuck. That. Forever.
Fritz the Cat: 3/5
Shakes the Clown: 3/5
Where's Poppa? 3/5
Passion Play: 3/5
-I don't understand why so many critics didn't like this. It's nothing amazing, but the performances are mostly good, and the cinematography is just gorgeous.
A Zed and Two Noughts: 4/5
-Not for everybody, but I enjoyed just how freakishly weird this movie was. The ending was a bit anticlimactic though.
Body Heat: 4/5
-Fantastic, early-80's neo-noir thriller. You can barely recognize a then-unknown Mickey Rourke.
Trekkies: 4/5
Max and Mary: 5/5
Green Lantern: 1/5
Bad Teacher: 3/5
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt 1: 4/5
Sweetie: 4/5
Diner: 4/5
The Band's Visit: 5/5
Eating Raoul: 4/5
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 5/5
Easy Rider: 4/5
Insidious: 4/5