MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 18 2011, 04:22 PM   #451
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Movies Seen in 2011

I loved "Hot Tub Time Machine." I'm completely alone in this, but I actually enjoyed it more than "The Hangover" (which I also thought was great). I only mention that, because it seems like the two get compared a lot.

Persepolis: 5/5.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 08:12 PM   #452
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

42. Fast Five: B+
43. THOR: A-
44. Priest: D+
45. The Fourth Kind: B+
46. POTC: On Stranger Tides: B-

I left a fuller review over in the review thread. I'll say this I enjoyed it more than the last two. While those had their moments overall they felt bloated to me and it bogged down the fun that started it all with COTBP.

While they did, imo, achieve what they set out to do(which according to articles was recapture the feel of COTBP) the second act moved a tad slow or was just less engaging overall to me. Don't get me wrong it had a few moments.

See it in 2-D. ARGGHHH!!! I'm so over 3-D. When the security team at the screener announced it was in 3-D I kid you not there was an audible DANG and other such negative exasperations from people.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 10:13 PM   #453
barnaclelapse
Commodore

But...it's the future...James "God" Cameron said so!

Deliverance: 4/5.
Old May 20 2011, 10:08 AM   #454
Harvey
Admiral

72. Never Let Me Go (B)

This stealth-sf film is beautifully shot and features good performances, but it never completely engaged me. Part of the problem, probably, is that I was more engaged by the alternate history stuff going on in the background than the love story in the foreground. Since it seems pretty faithful to the book (which I haven't read) I suppose it can't be blamed. The downbeat ending was much appreciated, though. There's no way you can have a happy ending with this premise without things getting extremely silly (the American counterpart being The Island). A good, if not great, little movie.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 01:04 PM   #455
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I've read the book, haven't seen the movie. The book is superb; like most of Ishiguro's work, it's more about atmosphere/the character's headspace than plot.

60. Hamlet (A)
61. All the King's Men (A)
62. Roman Holiday (A+)

1953 William Wyler romantic comedy that introduced the world to Audrey Hepburn (and won her the Oscar). You can see why it made Hepburn a star; the whole thing is a showcase for her elfin charm and, thanks to a good script, genuine acting skills. Gregory Peck as the male lead was also quite fun to watch. Peck is mostly known for roles like Gentlemen's Agreement and To Kill A Mockingbird, where his main role was to serve as a pillar of morality and righteous indignation; here he gets to have fun and play a character whose has a bit of selfishness in him. The film trumpets in the opening credits that it was all shot on location in Rome, which was obviously a bit of a novelty then, and Wyler's camera makes great use of the various locations. Charming, and while this is a very familiar story template, its execution is uncommonly intelligent.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; May 20 2011 at 03:41 PM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 04:07 PM   #456
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Thunder Road: 4/5
-I'm a huge Robert Mitchum fan, and this was just a whole lot of ridiculous, awesome fun.
Old May 20 2011, 07:49 PM   #457
Harvey
Admiral

If you're a Mitchum fan, have you seen The Yakuza? I just saw it in a class a few days ago, and thought it was an incredibly thoughtful and nuanced action film.

73. Salt (D)

This, on the other hand, is anything but thoughtful and nuanced. Writes Roger Ebert in his review, "This movie has holes in it big enough to drive the whole movie through. The laws of physics seem to be suspended here the same way as in a Road Runner cartoon." I might write the same thing, only I wouldn't give the movie four stars like Ebert.

Honestly, this movie is loud, violent, and incomprehensible on just about every level. Its only redeeming feature is Angelina Jolie, who is spectacular as an action heroine, even if her character's motivations and reasoning are rather flimsy. Hopefully she'll get to play the action lead in a movie that is far better than this in the future. And, please, don't let it be the sequel that the end of this movie sets up.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 08:08 PM   #458
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

43. THOR: A-
44. Priest: D+
45. The Fourth Kind: B+
46. POTC: On Stranger Tides: B-
47. Turtles Forever: A-

This animated film from Nickelodeon is a true TMNT fans enjoyment feature. It involves a story about the multiverse and ties in with 3 very specific versions of the Turtles but has cameo appearances by other stylistic Turtles.

It involves the late 80's Archie/Cartoon version, the latest FOX Animated version and the B&W original Eastman/Laird TMNT fighting to keep Shredder from using the Technodrome to wipe the Turtles(his only obstacle of course) from existence so he might conqueor the world/universe.
Old May 21 2011, 04:25 AM   #459
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates (in Bold):

The Adjustment Bureau (8)
Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Finder (8)
Black Swan (9)
Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
Broken Blade 4: The Land of Disaster (9)
Drive Angry (7)
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (9)
Godkiller (6)
I Am Number Four (8)
Infernal Affairs (7)
Kamui (4)
The Garden of Sinners Movie 8: Epilogue (9)
Loups=Garous (8)
The Mechanic (2011) (9)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
Munto: The Movie (6)
Musashi Miyamoto (6)
Outlander (8)
Pirates of the Caribean: On Stranger Tides (9)
Priest (5)
Source Code (9)
Thor (9)
Time of Eve (10)
Unknown (7)
Versus (6)
Your Highness (3)
Old May 21 2011, 07:55 AM   #460
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Source Code - theater
Rio - free screenin'
The Fighter - DVD rental
Invictus - Cinemax
Scream 4 - theater
Fast Five - midnight screenin'
THOR - free screenin'
Priest - theater
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - midnight screenin'

Went to a seven o'clock show of Priest last night. 3D wasn't an option, which is fine, since most of the movie takes place at night, or in dark locations like corridors & caves. Not the worst Paul Bettany movie I've ever seen, since I've rented Legion, but damn close...

Karl Urban was okay as the villian, but my favorite bit was Stephen Moyer (True Blood)'s glorified cameo.

Wish Maggie Q had been given more to do as the priestess.

Potc: On Stranger Tides had a midnight screenin' at the same theater, so I went, grabbed a late dinner & then returned for it. And I opted for the 3D, since it was a larger theater with fewer tickets sold, meanin' not as crowded.

I'd say this one is better than At World's End, and about on par with Dead Man's Chest, but not nearly as good as the original.

Don't splurge for the 3D, unless ya really like seein' swords pointed out at ya.

And stay for the post-credit scene. The theater I was in had about 150 folks for the movie, and by the time the credits finished, only 12. How do folks not know to say to the end of a PotC movie? Seriously?!
Old May 21 2011, 04:08 PM   #461
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Damn it. I want to see POTC. I guess I'll wait until I'm working Balticon next weekend.

Gates of Heaven: 4/5.
Old May 21 2011, 04:11 PM   #462
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
And stay for the post-credit scene. The theater I was in had about 150 folks for the movie, and by the time the credits finished, only 12. How do folks not know to say to the end of a PotC movie? Seriously?!
What's funny is my friends and I were all amazed at how many people(75% of the theater) stayed for the THOR post credits. We chalked it up to audiences finally "getting it" for what certain studios do on certain films.

Then for Pirates, out of 300+ seat auditorium, only about 40-50 stayed. Did people forget the other POTC films by Disney had post credit sequences? How do more people recall Marvel films have post-credit sequences then forget that on POTC?
Old May 22 2011, 04:05 PM   #463
barnaclelapse
Commodore

I always stay for those kinds of movies.

The King's Speech: 5/5.
Old May 23 2011, 04:38 PM   #464
CaptainCanada
Admiral

60. Hamlet (A)
61. All the King's Men (A-)
62. Roman Holiday (A+)
63. Rebecca (A-)

Alfred Hitchcock's American debut, and also the sole Hitchcock film to win Best Picture, ironically, given how removed it is from most of his subsequent work. It also has one of the lowest Oscar totals for any Best Picture winner (only two statues, the top prize and cinematography). It's an adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's modern Gothic novel, and fairly heavily recalls Jane Eyre.

It's a Gothic melodrama that has a few elements that are a little silly (like, for instance, Joan Fontaine's lack of reaction to their creepy servant's continued attempts to talk her into suicide), much like melodrama in general, but Hitchcock and co. sell it effectively. The film kind of awkwardly switches gears in the last half-hour, becoming more of a police procedural than anything else. Fontaine is very strong in the lead role, though the last half-hour likewise diminishes her character's role almost to nothing. Laurence Olivier is very good as well. Judith Anderson is exceptionally spooky as Mrs. Danvers, a character who pretty much walked out of The Mysteries of Udolpho. A young George Sanders pops up near the end to steal every scene that he's in, and his performance easily carries the procedural stretch of the story.

Five of the last six films I've watched have been black-and-white, with several more on the horizon; I really need to see something in colour.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 04:41 PM   #465
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Hoop Dreams: 5/5.