Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 15 2011, 12:56 AM   #436
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

40. The Conspirator: A-
41. XXX: State of the Union: C+
42. Fast Five: B+
43. THOR: A-
44. Priest: D+

Bad. Overall really bad. A few decent action moment but BAD. I noticed there is no Grading Discussion Thread probably best.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 01:22 AM   #437
Lowdarzz
Captain

Big Jake (1971)

Another western courtesy of The Duke, this one could not decided whether it was going to be serious or a comedy. The acting was uneven and the concluding fight was surprisingly bloody considering the majority of the film's tone. I also was disapointed by the completely abrupt ending. That said, The Duke was excellent as usual.

Event Horizon (1997)

The last time I saw this film was back when it was in theaters. The effects work and production design were excellent. The tense atmosphere maintained by the film was well done and some of the scares were effective. Gotta love all those empty eye sockets. I've heard that the original cut was over two hours long but I guess we'll never get to see it as the film apparently tanked at the box office.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 03:53 AM   #438
CaptainCanada
Admiral

60. Hamlet (A)
61. All the King's Men (A)

The prequel to All the President's Men.

Robert Penn Warren's Pulitzer-winning novel has been filmed twice; this, the first one, won Best Picture in 1949. The story is (despite Penn Warren's denial) a pretty obvious roman a clef about the life of Huey Long - in this case, Willie Stark (Broderick Crawford), an illiterate rural hick who becomes a reformist candidate for governor of his unnamed state as a stooge for the party machine, until he gets out of control. It's a pretty basic story about the transition from idealism to corruption, as told from the viewpoint of his righthand man Jack (John Ireland) - in a lot of respects, it reminds me of The Last King of Scotland (though obviously less extreme than that one), which shows how often these sorts of things can happen in the real world.

The film starts off rather shakily. Based on the first half hour or so, I thought it would be in the B/B+ range; the early scenes are somewhat choppy in their narrative, and the characters seem kind of flat. But things get moving, appropriately, at the time where Stark stops being a stooge and becomes a real candidate (the transition between these two mindsets is a bit abrupt). Crawford gives a powerhouse performance, chewing the scenery like Peter Finch in Network. Ireland remains kind of bland, but the storyline gets appropriately seedy. Mercedes McCambridge won the film's other acting Oscar as Stark's campaign manager (initially sent to sabotage him), and she's immensely entertaining (sort of a darker version of one of those zippy Girl Friday type characters).

Minor niggle is that the film continues the novel's device of not naming the state that the story takes place in. That sort of thing is a lot easier to do on the page than on film, and at times the way the characters and the media keep talking about "this state" and stuff like that becomes comical.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 10:43 PM   #439
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Before Sunrise: 4/5
Before Sunset: 4/5
Pick-up on South Street: 5/5
All The President's Men: 5/5
In The Mood for Love: 5/5.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 11:01 PM   #440
CaptainCanada
Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Two personal favourites. I hope Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy get around to a third one.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 02:02 AM   #441
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - C-
2. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A
3. Black Swan (2010) - A+
4. The Social Network (2010) - A
5. Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - B
6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009) - B
7. Winter's Bone (2010) - C+
8. The Kids are All Right (2010) - A
9. The Lovely Bones (2009) - D
10. 127 Hours (2010) - A
11. Source Code (2011) - B
12. Kick-Ass (2010) - B
13. Thor (2011) - B+

Went to see Thor today and enjoyed it. It's not as good as Iron Man, mainly because I think I like Downey Jr.'s Arrogant charm more than I like Hemsworth's, but it was a good two hours. Really liked seeing the two worlds develop, more on SHIELD, and the charming-ness of Natalie Portman and the actress who played Darcey. Not really a Comic Book reader, but really enjoyed the film.

Saw my first trailer of Captain America today before Thor and I'm intrigued. Also, I mentioned in the Summer thread how I'm not all that keen on seeing all these big buff staroid induced guys in these comic book roles, and I chucked when Eric was releasing Thor and brought that very point up. One of my favorite bits in the movie.
Old May 16 2011, 04:37 AM   #442
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

40. The Conspirator: A-
41. XXX: State of the Union: C+
42. Fast Five: B+
43. THOR: A-
45. The Fourth Kind: B+

I'm always open to the idea of aliens, demons, possession and abduction and have heard this movie is very intense. It didn't disappoint.

With the exception of one key scene, and to a lesser extent the volume of people affected, I tend to lean toward these events being about demonic possession than I do one of "the fourth kind".

Tie in the voices on the tapes believed to be speaking 6K year old ancient Summarian and my tie to demons increases. Unless of course we dovetail into the "are aliens the progenitor of our species and/or our gods".

The levitations and physical affects are all things chronicled in exorcisms throughout the ages.

My one criticism in this pseudo-documentary style movie is the lack of follow-up by the one cop stationed outside the Tyler home who witnessed something, in the air, taking them from the home. Yes, his dashboard camera got glitchy but not before it got about 2-3 seconds of some craft clearly coming over top the house. Follow-up by this cop was really needed and lends the most credence to aliens.

Creepy movie. I'm now going to attempt to go to bed....attempt to.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 02:18 AM   #443
barnaclelapse
Commodore

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Two personal favourites. I hope Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy get around to a third one.
That would be wonderful. It's exactly the kind of story that would be well-suited to a trilogy.
Old May 17 2011, 05:28 AM   #444
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Bad. Overall really bad. A few decent action moment but BAD. I noticed there is no Grading Discussion Thread probably best.
I watched 2/3 of the people there walk out of it, mid-movie, and never come back. Personally, I wouldn't say it was awful enough to warrant me flushing money down the toilet and ditching the film, but I did think it was overall pretty meh and unspectacular, I kind of expected that though. I doubt the sequel it sets up for will ever happen.
Old May 17 2011, 06:02 AM   #445
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Sweet Home Alabama" (2002) C +

This is one of my favorite guilty pleasure films. I'm just a sucker for it. It's also one of my favorite Reese Witherspoon films. The cast is great, the script is decent, the story is pure romantic fluff but there are tons of fun moments in this movie. Plus it has Candice Bergen as Patrick Dempsey's mother! It's always fun with Candice plays a heel.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 06:13 AM   #446
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

The green hornet B+
sucker punch A
THOR A+

plan to see pirates this weekend.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 08:41 AM   #447
Harvey
Admiral

70. They Drive By Night (B+)

The dialogue in this trucker film turned film noir (from director Raoul Walsh) is a joy to hear. The banter between characters is as sharp as anything Aaron Sorkin or Quentin Tarantino are writing today. Most of the performances are top notch (there's yet another brilliant turn from Bogart in a supporting role), the cinematography is fine, and the editing keeps the pacing at a good clip.

Why the B+ and not the A? Two words: George Raft. I'm so dumbfounded that the man was ever a star, and even more surprised that he was honestly considered for the role of Rick Blaine in Casablanca. He's not a bad actor, but he's just so damned earnest that any edge his character is ever supposed to have is lost on the screen. He can suck out the life from a scene so fast I get ready for disappointment whenever I see his name in the credits.

I've now seen 82 films this year. I'm never catching up on this.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 09:00 PM   #448
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Trying to keep these brief as I've been rather busy planning a move lately.

36. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 - B. Good but felt like half a movie.

37. Alien IV (Blu-ray) - D. Even worse than I remembered it. The dialogue is probably the worst part. I liked Whedon's writing in Firefly but here it's pretty awful. "I'm the monster's mother." GROOOOOOOAN

38. American Movie (1999) - B. I can't believe this documentary is 12 years old and I'm just now seeing it. Has a few very funny moments. Somehow felt like I'd seen it before (but I hadn't).

39. Naked (1993) - B. Somewhat disturbing character study of lowlife society in 1990s London centering around a vagrant quasi-rapist philosopher and his yuppie counterpart, who is the same but different in some fundamental ways (and they never directly interact, come to think of it). Raises some interesting questions. Well acted, well shot.

40. My Neighbor Totoro - B+. Cute movie.
Old May 17 2011, 11:29 PM   #449
barnaclelapse
Commodore

The Lookout: 4/5.
-Surprisingly enjoyable.
Old May 18 2011, 09:15 AM   #450
Harvey
Admiral

71. Hot Tube Time Machine (C+)

This movie has a funny premise that wasn't always as well-exploited as it could have been. Chevy Chase was such a non-character that I'm not sure why he was in the movie (except, of course, for the trailer value of Chevy Chase). At times the characters were so profane and mean-spirited that the humor didn't work. At other times it was absolutely hilarious (the ending; Crispin Glover). A very inconsistent time travel comedy, really, it doesn't inspire strong feelings either way.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote