Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 24 2011, 08:56 AM   #271
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2011

^

Just did - gave it a B. Sent in my write up for the movie to SciFi4Me.com, so ya can reat it there after Jason posts it.
Old March 24 2011, 07:23 PM   #272
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
I don't know why I watched Whiteout, bored, I guess...

At least Sucker Punch didn't suck. Went up to Plano for a free screenin' tonight, got a free miniposter out of the deal, too.
So, Whiteout for you was that bad? It's in my queue working it's way up. Someone told me it reminded them of an attempt at an X-Files episode, a poor attempt. Nonetheless I like Kate and am going to watch this.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2011, 07:40 PM   #273
od0_ital
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post
I don't know why I watched Whiteout, bored, I guess...

At least Sucker Punch didn't suck. Went up to Plano for a free screenin' tonight, got a free miniposter out of the deal, too.
So, Whiteout for you was that bad?
Yep.
Old March 25 2011, 02:24 AM   #274
CaptainCanada
Admiral

20. The Illusionist (B)
21. The French Connection (B+)
22. Network (A+)
23. Incendies (A+)
24. Mrs. Miniver (A)
25. A Fistful of Dollars (B+)
26. For A Few Dollars More (B)
27. WALL-E (A+)
28. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (A)
29. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (B)

Somewhat inexplicably the IMDB's #4 film of all time.

The third of the Sergio Leone "Man With No Name" films, and clearly the budget available increased about forty-fold between movie 2 and movie 3, because whereas the first two were set in ruined towns inhabited seemingly only by rival gangs of cowboys, now we have a sprawling Civil War epic (which puts a timestamp on the films for the first time; though Clint only acquires his famous poncho at the end of this, so is this a prequel to the others? The dude must have a terrible gambling habit, because he seems to lose huge sums of money between films) with thousands of extras.

Much like the second film, I found this minimized some of the strengths of the first one. Eastwood's probably more of a presence here than in the previous one, but there's still plenty of time where he's only minimally there; Eli Wallach's Tuco isn't nearly as interesting to watch. And where the first one was admirably stripped-down, this likewise makes some stabs at a more serious tone, but it lacks follow-through (though there are some genuinely good moments). Eastwood's character is noticeably less invincible here than in previous films.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 12:22 PM   #275
Alisha
Ensign

I like Rango, Blue Valentine, No strings attached, Due Date. These all are quite good movies i found.

Last edited by Top41; March 25 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: removal of illegal links
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 12:38 AM   #276
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)

Continuing my little project of checking out old Best Picture winners; this was 1958's. A spectacular success in its day (it won 9 competition Oscars, breaking Gone With The Wind's record at the time; though notably, it's one of the few winners to have no acting nominations), it marked the beginning of a ten-year period (1958-1968) that could be called the golden age of the musical, where five of the ten BP winners in that era were musicals. West Side Story, My Fair Lady, and The Sound of Music are all well-remembered to this day. Gigi and Oliver! are somewhat more obscure, particularly the former, since it's not based on a famous Charles Dickens novel.

I debated how to grade this one, from B- to B+, because I actually quite enjoyed watching it, but I decided that quite a bit of the enjoyment came from the film's status as a cultural curio, not because of any particular inherent quality. Mainly, I find it fascinating to consider how different 1950s society was in terms of keeping sex out of the public discourse that you could have a jaunty musical number called "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" and nobody would think it was kind of creepy. The film does have a nice undercurrent of wit to it, but it's dramatically inert; there's not really much conflict, and no villain, which is disappointing in a musical as they usually have the best songs. And the songs, apart from the aforementioned "Thank Heaven", aren't particularly memorable. The production looks amazing, I must say, making great use of numerous Parisian locations. Maurice Chevalier's performance as the ribald old uncle is quite memorable.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 26 2011, 06:31 AM   #277
od0_ital
Admiral

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - HBO
Tron Legacy 3D - theater
Clash of the Titans (2010) - HBO on Demand
Take Me Home Tonight - free screenin'
Sanctum - free screenin'
The Green Hornet - free screenin'
Green Zone - HBO
Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO
True Grit (1969) - AMC
Ringu - DVD
Black Swan - Alamo Drafthouse (its not just a movie theater)
Unknown - free screenin'
The Losers - HBO
The Sunset Limited - HBO on Demand
Starsky & Hutch (2004) - Cinemax
Kick-Ass - DVD
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - DVD
The Adjustment Bureau - free screenin'
Rango - theater
Red (2010) - DVD rental
Hot Tub Time Machine - DVD rental
Harry Brown - DVD
Faster - DVD rental
Jonah Hex - DVD rental
Battle: L.A. - theater
The Girl who Played with Fire - DVD
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - DVD rental
Leaves of Grass - DVD
Whiteout - Cinemax on Demand
Sucker Punch - free screenin'
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - DVD

I borrowed a used copy of the sequel from my sister two weeks ago, and finally got around to watchin' it today.

I haven't watched the first one in years & years, but it wasn't really necessary for this movie, anyway. There are references to the first movie, of course, and a cameo by Charlie Sheen, but it stands on its own more than bein' a sequel. Michael Douglas's Gordan Gecko is surrounded by a whole new set of characters, so its like his continued adventures...

...but I wouldn't want to see a third movie.
Old March 26 2011, 09:03 PM   #278
Too Much Fun
Commodore

"A Fistful of Dollars".

Pretty pathetic. Every character in the movie except Eastwood's was a stupid jackass caricature. Eastwood was great as a calm, confident, quiet, and morally upright rebel of immense quick draw talent, but he was surrounded by morons. Also, the story was a bore, and the acting (again, aside from Eastwood) was infuriatingly melodramatic and/or over-the-top. How anyone can think this has aged well is beyond me.

The worst thing about this movie was the dubbing. I don't know why they had to make movies like this. They should have just let the actors talk their native language with subtitles while Eastwood spoke English (like a Tarantino movie would). The cheesy dubbing made it like one of those goofy kung fu movies. As I watched it, I felt like I should be listening to some MST3K-style commentary.

I guess this dubbing over everyone except the guy who naturally speaks English was just the way movies were made back then and it couldn't be helped. That's a shame, because it pretty much ruined the movie for me. Well, that and the fact that Eastwood's character was the only one I could care about and take seriously. The last scene was quite exciting and fun...the rest, not so much. I really, really hope the sequel is better, because watching another movie as lame as this one would be a huge waste of time.

The only good things in the movie in the movie were Eastwood's deadpan performance, how hilariously fast he shoots every time he kills people, and the quirky music. I wish I knew what the vocalists were yelling every time they chanted together. It was so funny and cool. The repeating flute motif was a hoot too.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 01:57 AM   #279
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)
31. I Love You Phillip Morris (B+)

My friend wanted to see this, so I went along - the first time in years I can recall seeing a movie on the initiative of someone other than myself.

This had a ton of distribution problems because of a spat between the producers and distributors, and ultimately didn't make much money. It's too bad, because it's pretty good. It's very funny as a comedy, and surprisingly affecting in places too. The relationship between Jim Carrey and Ewan Macgregor's characters is a lot more real-seeming than most comedies. It's also remarkably frank with gay sexuality, moreso even than acclaimed movies like Brokeback Mountain.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 27 2011, 07:43 AM   #280
od0_ital
Admiral

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - HBO
Tron Legacy 3D - theater
Clash of the Titans (2010) - HBO on Demand
Take Me Home Tonight - free screenin'
Sanctum - free screenin'
The Green Hornet - free screenin'
Green Zone - HBO
Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO
True Grit (1969) - AMC
Ringu - DVD
Black Swan - Alamo Drafthouse (its not just a movie theater)
Unknown - free screenin'
The Losers - HBO
The Sunset Limited - HBO on Demand
Starsky & Hutch (2004) - Cinemax
Kick-Ass - DVD
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - DVD
The Adjustment Bureau - free screenin'
Rango - theater
Red (2010) - DVD rental
Hot Tub Time Machine - DVD rental
Harry Brown - DVD
Faster - DVD rental
Jonah Hex - DVD rental
Battle: L.A. - theater
The Girl who Played with Fire - DVD
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - DVD rental
Leaves of Grass - DVD
Whiteout - Cinemax on Demand
Sucker Punch - free screenin'
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - DVD
Paul - theater

Last showin' on a Saturday night, freakin' hysterical movie with tons of scifi references. Paul is right up there with Spaceballs & Galaxy Quest in my book.

My favorite was the country&western band in the biker bar...

I so needed the laughs tonight.
Old March 28 2011, 02:21 AM   #281
Harvey
Admiral

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
The worst thing about this movie was the dubbing. I don't know why they had to make movies like this. They should have just let the actors talk their native language with subtitles while Eastwood spoke English (like a Tarantino movie would). The cheesy dubbing made it like one of those goofy kung fu movies.
Actually, all of the actors are dubbed in the movie, since Italian films of the period recorded sound post-synchronously. And I agree, listening to the actors in their original languages would probably be preferable, though the complete hodge-podge of languages and dialects would eliminate any sense of the film being set in American history (not that there's much of a sense of that, anyway).

48. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (B+)

This one is still fun, but not as great as I remembered it. I remember liking it more as a kid, which is interesting, since it's filled with humor that's targeted at adults (more than I remembered, even). Still, Bob Hoskins and Christoper Lloyd are spot-on, and it is more than worth it for a chance to see all these cartoon characters together in a movie.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 03:14 AM   #282
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)
31. I Love You Phillip Morris (B+)
32. How To Train Your Dragon (A)

I remember when this came out in theatres last February (I think), I considered seeing it, but I never got around to it. Having gotten around to it, this is that rarity, a film I wished I'd seen in 3D; I can imagine the flying scenes would have looked ever more amazing in that format (which is generally much more suited to animation than live action).

Dreamworks Animation has historically specialized in reference- and irony-heavy stories, in contrast to Disney/Pixar's more classical approach (though the former style is really just a progression of what Disney did in Aladdin and Hercules, and to a much lesser extent, Mulan). Shrek was a hilarious breath of fresh air in 2001, but the progress of that franchise is emblematic of the whole formula: it's tired. This, though, is a pretty straight story, and that much better for it. The flying scenes, as previously mentioned, are stunningly animated, as good as anything Pixar has produced. The animation on the people is also well-done (I was very impressed with Hiccup's skin texture). The main characters are nicely handled - I liked the reversal of typical character types by having the girl be the brute-force-type who learns to give peace a chance. Though the message about befriending the dragons is somewhat muddled by the inclusion of the dragon queen - though I suppose that could just be taken as not painting groups with too broad a brush.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 28 2011, 03:22 AM   #283
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I'm about halfway through "For A Few Dollars More" and I gotta say I'm shocked at how much better it is than "A Fistful of Dollars". It is superior in every conceivable way. Better acting, better characters, better story, better writing/dialogue. A very pleasant surprise after how lame its predecessor was.

This time, instead of just the Clint Eastwood character and a bunch of loud, boring, ridiculous interchangeable idiot characters, the movie has a whole cast that's strong. Lee Van Cleef's character is just as badass as Clint's, makes a formidable rival, and is an even better ally. I spent most of the first hour eagerly anticipating their beautifully built up showdown, and when it came, it did not disappoint. Their little intimidation fest with shooting at hats was hilarious.

On top of that, there's a great villain who is charismatic and vicious with a Tarantinoesque speech about the history of a cabinet. The story about two bounty hunters going after the same gang of bank robbers is infinitely more interesting than Eastwood playing two moron gangs against each other. With those two gangs, there was no suspense, because they weren't intimidating. On the other hand, bank robber leader Indio is marvelously intimidating thanks to an early scene where he proves his cruelty and quick draw talent with a family man, wife, and child.

This may be the greatest western I've ever seen. I'll have to wait till I'm done to decide which one I like more between it and the original "True Grit", but it'll be a close call. This movie reminds me of many other excellent flicks like "Heat", "The Departed"/"Infernal Affairs", and of course the "Kill Bill" movies with its lawmen and criminals, heists, undercover turncoats, and infectiously catchy whistle and chant-heavy score. Unlike "A Fistful of Dollars", I can see how it's not just influential, but also great in its own right.

This is the kind of movie I always hope for every time I sit down to watch a western and am more often than not disappointed (i.e. "The Searchers", "The Wild Bunch"). I couldn't get into the "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" last time I tried to watch it, but this movie makes me want to give it another chance. Maybe I'll like it more now that I've seen the other movies in the trilogy before it. The dubbing is also less annoying this time. Even if everyone is dubbed, Van Cleef and Eastwood just sound so much more natural because they're speaking their own language. The amount of dialog they get (and how well-written it is) makes this so much more enjoyable to listen to than "A Fistful of Dollars".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 06:14 AM   #284
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Sucker Punch" (2011) 3/4 stars.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 03:33 PM   #285
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

28. Dracula II: Ascension: B-
29. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li: D
30. You Don't Mess With the Zohan: C+
31. Finding Bliss: C
32. Dracula III: Legacy: B-

Felt it was on par with Dracula II. Would like to have been able to grade it higher but the Luke character wouldn't allow for it. If his character hadn't bounced between comedic relief and 'voice of the viewer' witch such jarring swings it would've been better just for that.

The series at this point has our 'Priest'(Jason Scott Lee) or D.G.(damaged goods) as Luke calls him being defrocked. He is fighting the vampire infection within himself. He goes through a daily 'purge' in the sunlight to keep it at bay. In essence he is a daywalker.

Rutger Hauer is the dark lord Dracula himself in this installment. I found it interesting that while on 5 years movie time had passed from the second Dracula had seemingly aged 40yrs. In part two he looked to be about mid 20's for his resurrection and used the resurrection to explain why he no longer look like Gerad Butler but in 5yrs he looks different and older...just because?

I won't go into too much but this Dracula saga is a fun watch and ranks tops in terms of B movie horror/vamp flicks. In fact it's at least as good as some of the ones like Piranha 3-D that make it to wide release.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote