Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 21 2011, 04:20 PM   #196
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post

10. Black Swan (B+)
11. Made in Dagenham (B)
12. Gentleman's Agreement (A-)
13. Barney's Version (A-)
14. Out of Africa (B)
15. The Social Network (A-)
16. The Sound of Music (B+)

The third-highest-grossing film of all time (adjusted), and one of the iconic musicals; this is one of those movies that, on watching it, you spot a billion ways its been referenced in subsequent pop culture. I'm seeing it for the first time at 23; this is the sort of film I should perhaps have been shown earlier. All the same, it's a charming piece of work, though I don't "love" it in the way so many do. It's notably rather loose in structure; the odd reference aside, antagonists don't present themselves until the last thirty minutes or so. All the same, I admire them for not turning the Baroness into a total villain for the sake of having one.
I'm 35 and there was a time when The Sound of Music would be on TV at least once a year. That was before cable really took off in the 90's though. That along with The Ten Commandments and Wizard of Oz used to air at leat once but I digress.

My girlfriend before we were serious teased me that I had The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins on DVD. She couldn't fathom why I'd have those right next to Rocky, Star Trek, Rambo, Stargate and other such obvious testerone flicks. It puzzled her.

Now of course she knows I'm a movie buff but I told her classics are classics for a reason. Appearances be damned. Glad you liked it on first viewing Canada!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 04:57 PM   #197
LitmusDragon
Commodore

14. Monsters (2010) - C+. This movie is more about the characters than the titular monsters, but the problem is, I didn't find the characters to be all that interesting. This is basically a road trip movie / love story with the twist that the road trip is through an "infected zone" in Nothern Mexico, populated by invading alien creatures that are something like a cross between a Giraffe and an Octopus. There were several neat reveals about the creatures, and the effects for such a low budget film were very well done (it's been noted just about everywhere that the effects were done on a laptop- and really, they look pretty good). Fairly decent movie with an interesting mythology but is brought down a bit by it's weak romance. I just really didn't care that the two leads ended up together.

15. The Tune (Bill Plympton) - C. First full length Plympton movie I've seen (and his first attempt at one, from what I read). It's not bad, some of the songs are funny, but at just a little over an hour it still seemed to drag in spots. Some of the animation sequences are inspired, others no so much, and the inclusion of some of his previous shorts in full will detract from the experience for those who are already familiar with his work.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; February 21 2011 at 05:47 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 05:19 PM   #198
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

watched TAXI DIRVER ON amc first time seeing it .

staring :

robert de niro
jodie foster
albert brooks
harvey keitel

it was okay I don't see getting obssevie over it .
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 11:02 PM   #199
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - HBO
Tron Legacy 3D - theater
Clash of the Titans (2010) - HBO on Demand
Take Me Home Tonight - free screenin'
Sanctum - free screenin'
The Green Hornet - free screenin'
Green Zone - HBO
Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO
True Grit (1969) - AMC
Ringu - DVD
Black Swan - Alamo Drafthouse (its not just a movie theater)
Unknown - free screenin'
The Losers - HBO
The Sunset Limited - HBO on Demand
Starsky & Hutch (2004) - Cinemax

Tommy Lee Jones is a good actor. Samuel L Jackson is a good actor. But if I had known The Sunset Limited was goin' to come down to an argument about God & religion, I wouldn't have watched it.

And the only reason I watched Starsky & Hutch was 'cause I was too bored to even change the channel. God, what a stupid movie that was...
Old February 22 2011, 09:04 PM   #200
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Longest Day (1962)

This is probably my favorite World War II film now.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 11:38 AM   #201
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
Black Swan (9)
Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
Godkiller (6)
Infernal Affairs (7)
Kamui (4)
The Garden of Sinners Movie 8: Epilogue (9)
Loups=Garous (8)
The Mechanic (2011) (9)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
Munto: The Movie (6)
Musashi Miyamoto (6)
Unknown (7)
Old February 23 2011, 08:15 PM   #202
od0_ital
Admiral

Tron Legacy 3D - theater
Sanctum - free screenin'
Green Zone - HBO
Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO
True Grit (1969) - AMC
Ringu - DVD
Unknown - free screenin'
The Losers - HBO
Kick-Ass - DVD

Went by a Blockbuster with a bunch of "store closing" signs, wound up with seven used DVDs, only had to pay for three of 'em.

Go me.

Kick-Ass was one of those used DVDs.

Watched it this mornin', I thought it was a pretty cool superhero movie. My brother came down about midway through it, and after one scene, asked, "So, this isn't a kids' superhero movie, is it?"

Fuck no!

Kind of wish Big Daddy had a bigger role, but Hit Girl was awesome. And now I really hope there's a sequel.
Old February 23 2011, 09:23 PM   #203
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

18. Brothers: B+
19. Men In Black II: B-
20. The Crow: Wicked Prayer: C-
21. The Soloist: C

There are good performances in this movie with Robert Downey Jr and Jaime Foxx however that doesn't save it from being a bit slow. It felt like some of the exposition and visuals used to illustrated Nathaniel Ayers disorder actually hindered the pacing of the movie. Perhaps doing it once for affect but not several. Then they began intersplicing those with flashbacks, perhaps as a way to justify doing it again, but I didn't feel it was necessary to show the scars that way. His scars could've been easier portrayed in dialoge thus making the pacing better and perhaps setting up some dramatic scenes.

I'm glad I watched it but it's not one to own.
Old February 26 2011, 04:47 PM   #204
CaptainCanada
Admiral

10. Black Swan (B+)
11. Made in Dagenham (B)
12. Gentleman's Agreement (A-)
13. Barney's Version (A-)
14. Out of Africa (B)
15. The Social Network (A-)
16. The Sound of Music (B+)
17. Pulp Fiction (A)
18. Forrest Gump (A)
19. The Shawshank Redemption (A+)

1994 Academy Awards Faceoff!

1994 is probably the strongest modern Best Picture slate, with three films that would be easy winners in any other year (and all of them in the IMDB's top 50, two in the top 5); at the time, it was Pulp Fiction vs Forrest Gump, but these days The Shawshank Redemption matches or eclipses both of them.

Of the three films, Pulp Fiction is the only one I'm seeing for the first time; took me a while to get around to it, though I've seen several other Tarantino films. I guess I'm working backward (though I skipped over Jackie Brown). Anyway, it's a very entertaining film - like all of Tarantino's best work, it's very dialogue-driven (I wonder what a collaboration between Tarantino and Aaron Sorkin would look like); though in this case, so many of the discussions have become memes by now (particularly with Samuel L. Jackson's character; indeed, with rare exceptions, Jackson has been playing this character ever since). Extremely entertaining and incredibly influential - my main drawback would be that, like all the Tarantino films that I've seen, there's not a tremendous amount of substance to go with the style.

Forrest Gump was the first of these three films I saw, but on VHS; this was my first widescreen viewing. It has easily the largest hatedom of the three films, but I don't see it, personally. I'm still a big fan. Tom Hanks' performance is one of his best (and, much like his work in The Terminal, he does an accent without making it look like a gimmick, which is a skill that most American leading men don't have), ably supported by other actors. Gary Sinise is particularly memorable (I wish he wasn't wasting his talent on CSI: New York these days, though I'm sure he's paid well to do it). It also makes me long for the days when Robert Zemeckis wasn't doing all his films in unconvincing motion-capture CGI.

And finally, Shawshank. Still my favourite of the bunch, and probably the one I've seen the most. Much like Jackson, Morgan Freeman has been reprising the role of Red in most of his subsequent roles (which is why things like his portrayal of Nelson Mandela is so different), but it's such an amazing role; one of my favourite film performances of all time. Tim Robbins also does a very good job with his character, who is necessarily closed off to a great extent. Whenever people talk about this movie, they usually talk about Freeman and Robbins, and to a lesser extent James Whitmore as Brooks (whose finale sequence is one of the saddest things ever put on film), but I think Bob Gunton as Norton is overlooked. He's a somewhat low-key but extremely memorable villain (Darabont and co. combine a couple of different wardens from the novel into one character, which works surprisingly well; the religious nature of one contrasts with the corruption of the other into a modern-day pharisee), with one of the most satisfying comeuppances in cinema. Also notably, with Roger Deakins looking likely to finally win an Oscar this weekend, this was his first nomination, and it's beautiful work indeed.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2011, 05:39 PM   #205
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

19. Men In Black II: B-
20. The Crow: Wicked Prayer: C-
21. The Soloist: C
22. Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love: C+

With Naveen Andrews(LOST) and Indira Varma(ROME) this movie is about the competition of love and its place in Indian society. It's a decent movie and for sure has its um captivating moments. Worth seeing once if for no other reason than to see what Sayid was doing before he became Sayid. I know the actor was a new face to me before LOST.
Old February 26 2011, 10:47 PM   #206
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
Black Swan (9)
Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
Drive Angry (7)
Godkiller (6)
Infernal Affairs (7)
Kamui (4)
The Garden of Sinners Movie 8: Epilogue (9)
Loups=Garous (8)
The Mechanic (2011) (9)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
Munto: The Movie (6)
Musashi Miyamoto (6)
Unknown (7)
Old February 27 2011, 02:28 AM   #207
CaptainCanada
Admiral

20. The Illusionist (B+)

The second best animated feature nominee that I've seen. Tonally it's by turns cute and elegaic; with almost no dialogue, it's purposefully a bit inscrutable. Enjoyable, but I really can't see why some people would prefer it to Toy Story 3.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 02:32 AM   #208
Lowdarzz
Captain

Manhunter (1986)

I enjoyed this adaptation of Red Dragon by Thomas Harris more than its 2002 counterpart.

Centurion (2009)

It lacks the grandiose qualities of the older sword and sandals epics but it tells a good story. The myths about the disappearance of the Legio IX Hispana in Caledonia has always been interesting to me.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 04:35 AM   #209
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

today was movie day and this is what I watched :

1) the karate kid 2010 remake suprisingly good realy good A ++
2) excalibur 1981 on of my all time favorites
3) prince of persia the sands of time great action movie
4) the fifth element agin one of my favorites
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 09:10 AM   #210
od0_ital
Admiral

Tron Legacy 3D - theater
Sanctum - free screenin'
Green Zone - HBO
Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO
True Grit (1969) - AMC
Ringu - DVD
Unknown - free screenin'
The Losers - HBO
Kick-Ass - DVD
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - DVD

One of the other DVDs I picked up the other night at the goin' out of business Blockbuster.

I watched it with the English dubbin', since I wasn't in the mood to read subtitles.

That was a pretty intense movie. Not sure how often I'll rewatch it, but I will go ahead with the sequel, which I also picked up the other night, later this week.