Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 2 2011, 08:11 AM   #376
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile
Re: "Face of the Enemy" Line-by-Line

I managed to miss the end again.

Well done, everyone!
Old January 2 2011, 10:16 AM   #377
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

The end? Already?

Wow, that was fast

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 11:20 AM   #378
Alienesse
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Alienesse

Again? Well, I guess I'll wait for the next shuttle then.
Old January 2 2011, 03:52 PM   #379
Ziz
Commodore

Y'know you two really do need to at least slow down and give other people a chance to participate. I only manage to get in one or two lines per episode before you hijack the thread and finish it all in one night.
Old January 2 2011, 06:51 PM   #380
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Well, congratulations folks!

While I appreciate the enthusiasm for these threads, I do think we're reaching a point where these "marathon" sessions have happened enough that it's started to make people feel left out of the action. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I think maybe we should resolve, at least for the next few threads, to self-discipline and make sure everyone has a chance to participate.

What do you all think?
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 07:39 PM   #381
leandar
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to leandar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to leandar Send a message via Yahoo to leandar

As someone who's been on both sides of the fence, having participated in one marathon and also being buzzed trying to post, only to get passed by the marathon at warp speed, I agree. Let's try to allow more people to participate, otherwise we run the risk of ending up with only two or three people doing this.

Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average...
leandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 08:04 PM   #382
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

leandar wrote: View Post
As someone who's been on both sides of the fence, having participated in one marathon and also being buzzed trying to post, only to get passed by the marathon at warp speed, I agree. Let's try to allow more people to participate, otherwise we run the risk of ending up with only two or three people doing this.
I like it how it is. I've been out posted in marathon postings before. It'll happen again. I've even only been able to post once or twice because I didn't have time to post more. It's fun. Even when I'm left out, it's fun.

Besides, the 2 minute rule that was proposed in the previous thread would only give the problem of posting and editing to someone else. It could also slow the thread down long enough for people to lose interest.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 09:43 PM   #383
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I actually am not sure that last evening would qualify as a marathon. A Marathon finish to me is where the thread is ended after multiple hours of back and forth posting. Vanyel and I did finish it last night but it was more like an hour, and we were already in the last third of the episode, it's not like we were just past the opening credits, then didn't stop til the episode dropped.

I don't want people to be left out, that wouldn't be right, but by the same token, some of us have had a lot of fun by having great back and forths between us, and it would be a big shame if that were to end. The 2 minute thing i proposed at the end of the last one was for when there are situations when there are more than 2 posters in an attempt to maintain some order during those. And I don't think would be that useful in a situation with only 2 posters.

I've been on both sides too, there were a few episodes that finished while I was at work and unable to post. And, well that happens. But I often wasn't dwelling on that, just wanting the next one to get going.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 11:53 PM   #384
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

This must mean something. It took us 3 day, 3 hours and 36 minutes to complete the episode. All 3's and a multiple of 3.

Are we on an island with polar bears and a smoke monster?
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old January 3 2011, 01:10 AM   #385
Ziz
Commodore

How long the marathon lasts isn't the issue, it's the idea that it's just two people tag-teaming to finish the thread, regardless of how long it takes.

Limit yourselves to 3 or 4 consecutive posts and then take a break for a few hours. It's not a race or a contest. Nobody wins anything of value if they get the last line or finish the thread in a certain amount of time.
Old January 3 2011, 01:27 AM   #386
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Vanyel wrote: View Post
This must mean something. It took us 3 day, 3 hours and 36 minutes to complete the episode. All 3's and a multiple of 3.

No, that means we're in a time loop and Data sent 3s to help us get out of it

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 01:37 AM   #387
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

If nobody wins anything, then nobody looses anything.

I find it more fun to post quickly. Sometimes I have to edit my post, sometimes I don't. It's a gamble. Last night was pretty easy, I had about a handful of posts that needed editing. In the previous thread I was editing every couple of posts. I find it fun to have to keep up.

Jump in at any point. Just pick a spot and line you want to start at, keep reloading the page and post when your turn comes up. You might get lucky, you might not. If you're not lucky, edit; if you are lucky pounce on the next line.

It's a game. Have fun, jump in and play.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old January 3 2011, 01:39 AM   #388
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post

No, that means we're in a time loop and Data sent 3s to help us get out of it
Good one. Forgot that. If I win, I think I know my choice. Which is an episode that just begs for a marathon posting.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old January 3 2011, 01:46 AM   #389
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

If nobody wins anything, then nobody looses anything.

I find it more fun to post quickly. Sometimes I have to edit my post, sometimes I don't. It's a gamble. Last night was pretty easy, I had about a handful of posts that needed editing. In the previous thread I was editing every couple of posts. I find it fun to have to keep up.

Jump in at any point. Just pick a spot and line you want to start at, keep reloading the page and post when your turn comes up. You might get lucky, you might not. If you're not lucky, edit; if you are lucky pounce on the next line.

It's a game. Have fun, jump in and play.
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 03:41 AM   #390
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Ziz wrote: View Post
How long the marathon lasts isn't the issue, it's the idea that it's just two people tag-teaming to finish the thread, regardless of how long it takes.

Limit yourselves to 3 or 4 consecutive posts and then take a break for a few hours. It's not a race or a contest. Nobody wins anything of value if they get the last line or finish the thread in a certain amount of time.
3 to 4 posts then a mandatory break is tough to enforce and would take the fun outta the whole thing.

Personally I think what would make things better for everyone is if we got the next episode going. It probably makes us more apt to speed through something when there's days between threads. Which both does and does not make sense, but what are paradoxes for?

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote