New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 18 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
SicOne
Commodore

Miranda-class pods?

Have we ever seen pods on the "roll-bars" of the Miranda-class other than the torpedo pod as seen on the USS Reliant? I know we've not seen them in the movies or shows, but I was wondering if they'd appeared in a comic book, a magazine, or a fan film or fan-made artwork.

Stands to reason as the Nebula has a tactical pod and an AWACS-like pod, that the Miranda might also have some pod variants.

Of course I want links to it...
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 07:49 PM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Miranda-class pods?

Haven't seen it personally. You might try asking in the fan art forum.
Old December 18 2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Bernard Guignard
Captain

The Ships of the starfleet book has one or two variants of the Pod
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Vance
Vice Admiral

There are a lot of fandom variants on that pod, but nothing official that I know of. The closest is an FX error that crept into DS9 which wound up making the pod a second impulse deck - and that, of course, sparked debate.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2010, 05:01 AM   #5
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

When in DS9 was that? I don't recall, but I'd be interested in seeing it. Errors can be amusing. The Endurance class frigates from SotSF have a variant pod, as well as sensor extensions on the nacelles for exploration purposes IIRC.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2010, 05:46 AM   #6
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I recall a variant pod in the Starship Creator game that was out for PC forever ago. It was one of the pod types you could put on your starship.

Star Trek: Online also has some variant pods, much in the same vein, but they're quite similar to the stock pod.
Old December 20 2010, 05:16 AM   #7
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Vance wrote: View Post
There are a lot of fandom variants on that pod, but nothing official that I know of. The closest is an FX error that crept into DS9 which wound up making the pod a second impulse deck - and that, of course, sparked debate.
I can't recall seeing that, but now that you mention it, the USS Trial had the torpedo pod installed backwards. Come to think of it, I remember an article on azteching in "Fine Scale Modeler" by a guy who had put the pod backwards on his Reliant model. It's been way too long, I don't remember how easy it was to make that mistake.
Old December 20 2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

Here's one shot of those "impulse-booster" pods on no fewer than three Mirandas:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...ophets_474.jpg

It also looks as if the central thingamabob between the now red-glowing areas is differently shaped here, forming a constant vertical ridge rather than the usual pointy "radome", which we see in this later shot of a "standard" pod from the same episode:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...ophets_656.jpg

I guess it's a valid modification; it's not as if we haven't seen ships with extra engines bolted onto them before...

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...4/okona006.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 04:13 PM   #9
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Holy crap! I must have seen that ep at least 10 times and never saw the secondary impulse engines. VERY cool! Never noticed the reverse-rollbar, either. Thanks for the links!

If anyone is interested in other fan-made designs with alternate configurations, most of them could be found in the Frigates section.
Old December 20 2010, 10:32 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

FWIW, since the Trial co-opts the registry that rightfully belongs to the smaller Daran family frigate Le Malin, we might say that the Le Malin was later altered (slightly enlarged, and given that fancy TNG-style sensor rim for the saucer) for "trial purposes", and somebody at Starfleet wanted to be funny.

The nonstandard, indeed unique Le Malin wouldn't have been able to fit a standard Miranda roll bar the right way forward, so perhaps this dictated a reverse fit.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Jackill's work suggests that some of the frigates have an "expanded" hull module for more shuttle capacity and such, and I'm not sure how difficult that sort of modification would be but I think it could be done. Following the same lines, it's easy to imagine that Sisko's Saratoga was the modified vessel originally seen in TVH, and was given a new registry as the lead ship of a new subclass which uses the modifications seen in "Emissary."

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 05:40 PM   #12
SicOne
Commodore

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
If anyone is interested in other fan-made designs with alternate configurations, most of them could be found in the Frigates section.
Gebirg, thanks for the link to that schematic site! I had forgotten that site still existed!
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 12:01 AM   #13
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

What I don't get is...
Why would the DS9 FX guys make a special modification like the "impulse booster" pod? The mod is hardly noticable, and in fact you'd need a screencap (as provided here) to even catch it.

With so much going on in those fleet scenes, and the Mirandas so much background action... why bother changing the existing model/CGI?

Oh it's good and all... just can't see why they'd take the time to make a change like that and it won't hardly get noticed (or even matter).

Bigger and more important FX slip-ups went unnoticed, yet they took time to do stuff like this. I can't figure it.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 03:36 AM   #14
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

New lower-poly model for fleet scenes, with a slight error?
Old December 22 2010, 07:09 AM   #15
ngc7293
Commander

I have a picture of a variant that had the entire roll bar removed. In that case it was called the "Knox Class". I'm sure there were other names for it. Being such an old ship, couldn't the Miranda class be down graded weapon-wise and turned into a Freighter? If so many such ships exist, they could be turned over to the civilian fleet with the military hardware removed.