Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 4 2011, 01:11 AM   #286
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

John Quixote is debatably my favorite episode of Season 4. There is just so much more going on than you really catch the first time. References to past bad guys...the return of Stark (or at least the vengeful part of his psyche that was used as a template for the game)...Gilina in the Gammak Base...Monty Python references...Zhaan! I absolutely adore the scene where Crichton frees Zhaan and wins the game and she asks him, "Have you wasted my death?"

Plus, I love the super awkward, depressing ending.

Aeryn: "I hear I was a princess."
John: says nothing and then walks away

Oooh, it hurts so good!
Old February 4 2011, 01:22 AM   #287
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

How fucking useless are PK guards? They stand there while three prisoners whisper conspiratorially only about two feet away from them, and yet they're surprised enough for the girls to get the drop on them? Retards. The UT version of a high-five is fun though.
I still say the fifth season should have been about PK guards and stormtroopers battling it out. Leave the Scarrans out of this, since they can actually aim. Things that can aim = John Crichton territory. Things that cannot aim = not worth John Crichton's time.

John Quixote
- I have no idea where to begin with this one. Each time I think Farscape can't possibly top its most bizarre episode, I've been proven wrong, a trend that continued once again here. This episode was easily unlike anything I've ever seen on another series. It was absolutely off-the-walls insane.
I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if the finale miniseries were revealed at the end to have been the effects of an LSD trip. The show just got weirder and weirder sometimes and it reveled in it.
Old February 4 2011, 04:33 AM   #288
RoJoHen
Awesome

Welp, just finished the show. You lose, PsychoPere. You lose.
Old February 4 2011, 06:20 AM   #289
label
Vice Admiral

Rojo's right......John Quixote is awesome with repeat viewings. Also, I agree that Rygel has become less and less a caricature and more and more a fully realized character that is quite enjoyable as he grows through the adventures he shares with this band of cast-offs.
Old February 4 2011, 07:37 AM   #290
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
And what did you think?
Old February 4 2011, 07:38 AM   #291
RoJoHen
Awesome

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
And what did you think?
Well, it's probably the 12th time I've finished the show, so I'm guessing I liked it.
Old February 4 2011, 07:53 AM   #292
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

And what did you think?
Well, it's probably the 12th time I've finished the show, so I'm guessing I liked it.
Whoops, my bad. It's super-late over here so I'm a bit less collected than usual.

Well, good!
Old February 4 2011, 09:09 AM   #293
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
- I'm very disappointed in Crichton that he actually decided to start using Noranti's little "forget Aeryn" drug. Considering how many times he dusted up during this episode, I'm also worried that he's becoming an addict.
Don't worry, the writers have thought about the implications and motivations behind this, and it will be explored. It's not as simple as John becoming an addict for Grandma's pixie dust, either...
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 09:53 AM   #294
Can
Commander

I like drug addiction storyline because it is so unlike of what we expect from protogonist of a space opera....Nor Crichton neither rest of Moya bunch are saints or always-moral-high grounders. They are individuals , trying to survive. They have limits , faults and trying to live with them and their consequences
Old February 4 2011, 06:03 PM   #295
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Yeah, I've always thought that was a pretty impressively sobering way of doing things.
Old February 4 2011, 06:17 PM   #296
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I've just finished my first rewatch of Season one, and I feel like I'm just as hooked as I was the first time I watched the show. Something I missed the first time is the carefully planned arc as the characters start off not liking each other very much and gradually grow to like each other by the end of the season. I mean, on my first watch through I did realize they had all grown closer at the end of the season, but I had missed how carefully plotted it was. This show does character development very well. This show was also great at righting stuff it was doing wrong- they seemed to realize Crais wasn't working as the primary antagonist and so they brought in Wayne Pygram and shifted Crais to a more ancillary role (a brilliant decision in my opinion). Looking forward to the next two seasons as I remember them being even better than the first.
Old February 4 2011, 06:31 PM   #297
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

For me, the show's seasons are all pretty good (although the first season suffers from some very blatant growing pains in the earlier batch and it also has a visibly lower budget) but the order would be something like this:

3>4(and PKW)>2>1.

Even still, much of the last string of first-season episodes are great.
Old February 4 2011, 07:03 PM   #298
Can
Commander

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I've just finished my first rewatch of Season one, and I feel like I'm just as hooked as I was the first time I watched the show. Something I missed the first time is the carefully planned arc as the characters start off not liking each other very much and gradually grow to like each other by the end of the season. I mean, on my first watch through I did realize they had all grown closer at the end of the season, but I had missed how carefully plotted it was. This show does character development very well. This show was also great at righting stuff it was doing wrong- they seemed to realize Crais wasn't working as the primary antagonist and so they brought in Wayne Pygram and shifted Crais to a more ancillary role (a brilliant decision in my opinion). Looking forward to the next two seasons as I remember them being even better than the first.
That's why Farscape is more like a great character growth/development story in a space opera setting at fantasy universe of Uncharted Territories. Main cast do not always get along each other. They bicker , disagree , insult , be rude even fight each other from time to time. After they survive their adaptation process of each other's presence , dealing with crisis of week or story arc seem easy ! They change , evolve and grow up in a very believeble way in that fantastic universe after a series of hard and sometimes painful experiences. Dargo hates Aeryn and distrusts Crichton , then accepts them comrades , Rygel being a greedy and selfish slug to almost useful and respected type , Crichton losing his starry eyed naive innocence slowly , Aeryn learning "to be more" , Zhaan getting into dark side for some time etc.....And this is just for Season 1 !
Old February 4 2011, 08:50 PM   #299
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Aeryn Sun's character development blows my mind to this day.
Old February 4 2011, 09:21 PM   #300
label
Vice Admiral

Aeryn Sun's character development blows my mind to this day.
I've found that's what really makes a show for me......long term, character development and story telling.

Aeryn and to a lesser degree John have quite an arc in Farscape.
Wesley from Angel is an amazing arc and one of my top 3 characters from all shows .
Londo/G'Kar from Bab5 have amazing arcs.

Most of the shows I really enjoy including Farscape have their characters experience organic growth and John and Aeryn's relationship over the years is a perfect example of this.