RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,586
Posts: 5,515,328
Members: 25,157
Currently online: 486
Newest member: Lt. Marseille

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 1 2011, 04:38 AM   #271
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral
 
lvsxy808's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Crichton Kicks
- Did I miss something? How did Chiana and Rygel end up back at the Leviathan burial space? Weren't they onboard Moya when she was pulled into the wormhole at the end of last season?
Just before they appeared, while John and Sikozu were hiding from the Grudeks, we heard Chiana's voice over the comms, saying "John, are you there?" or some such. No, they weren't on Moya when it was sucked into the wormhole - only Pilot, Jool and Noranti were. Rygel was going to try to get his throne back and Chiana was going to try to contact the Nebari resistance.

What Was Lost Part I: Sacrifice
- I feel again like I missed something, because there's footage in the "Previously on..." segment that I do not recall: Grayza promoting Braca to captain, and Braca saying something to Scorpy about him no longer having a ship to command. I assume these were deleted scenes from a previous episode, used here to quickly bring viewers up-to-speed on the power dynamics between those three.
Correct, and correct. Not the ideal solution, but I guess you work with what you've got.

What Was Lost Part II: Resurrection
- The short scene with Chiana, Jool, and Sikozu taking out the guards at their cell gave me a good chuckle. Given their scenes during the firefight with the PK soldiers, I'm liking the dynamic of these three working together.
How fucking useless are PK guards? They stand there while three prisoners whisper conspiratorially only about two feet away from them, and yet they're surprised enough for the girls to get the drop on them? Retards. The UT version of a high-five is fun though.

- I take it, then, that Sikozu was introduced to, at least in a sense, "replace" Jool on the crew since Jool is staying on this planet.
Kinda-sorta-ish-little-bit. Raelee Hill originally auditioned for the role of Grayza. They didn't like her for that, but they did like her enough to specifically create the previously unplanned role of Sikozu so that they could keep her around. This happened regardless of any plans for Jool.

Now, as it happens, Jool was always supposed to stay behind on Arnessk at some point. It just wasn't originally supposed to happen at this point. But Tammy MacIntosh got another job and wanted to take temporary leave, so they moved it up a bit.

So, yes, Sikozu did effectively replace Jool, although it wasn't actually intended as such.

As to the "What Was Lost" two parter, I agree that it's somewhat hard going, but it's actually one of the most vitally important stories in the whole show in the long term. It ends up explaining so much about what's actually going on in the Farscape universe that it is completely indispensable. What puts people off is that it's written and directed somewhat confusingly and mysteriously, as if we're all having one big communal Granny vision.
__________________
DS9-R fans! Want to know what happened after The Soul Key?

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 04:49 AM   #272
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Raelee Hill originally auditioned for the role of Grayza. They didn't like her for that, but they did like her enough to specifically create the previously unplanned role of Sikozu so that they could keep her around. This happened regardless of any plans for Jool.

As to the "What Was Lost" two parter, I agree that it's somewhat hard going, but it's actually one of the most vitally important stories in the whole show in the long term. It ends up explaining so much about what's actually going on in the Farscape universe that it is completely indispensable. What puts people off is that it's written and directed somewhat confusingly and mysteriously, as if we're all having one big communal Granny vision.
God they should have just kept her off the show! She likes Spory so much, then she should be locked up with him! it's clear she is only there to be a trouble maker and that's just stupid. It's clear the show peaked at the 2nd and 3rd season, but damn, talk about falling fast.

I also like how they connect the aliens' history back to Earth, but it was just thrown into such a poor episode is such a poor way you couldn't tell.

And John Quixote is crazy and I loved that, but it still didn't seem as fun as the previous crazy episodes. Was that really Stark? I don't get the point of the game and what was real and what the point really was.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 07:00 AM   #273
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

- Did I miss something? How did Chiana and Rygel end up back at the Leviathan burial space? Weren't they onboard Moya when she was pulled into the wormhole at the end of last season?
The end of "Dog with Two Bones" has brief audio clips of D'Argo, Rygel, and Chiana saying goodbye to Crichton, right before we see Aeryn's goodbye in her prowler.

It was also one of the points of that episode. "I can't go to Earth, and my friends are all leaving." Chiana and Rygel left together on a transport pod, and D'Argo was about to leave in his ship to go hunt his brother-in-law.

You have to infer a bit, but Chiana and Rygel had already left the Moya by the time she got gobbled up by the wormhole.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 04:25 PM   #274
coolghoul
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Doorstep of 4, Privet Drive
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

I finally finished "I, ET". I still thought it was a great episode. Maybe it's my love of Contact or something. The chick who looks like a more homely version of Jodie Foster. Single Mom. I think it's somehow fitting that the first planet that we see in Farscape (assuming that this is really considered ep2 based on production order and not the viewing date order) is an Earth-like planet. Which will set off something in John.

Loved the ending tag. Aeryn comes by and says "Don't tell me you are going to miss this rock!" as Crichton is watching the planet recede as Moya speeds away. Crichton pauses and says "No... not *this* rock!".

I think it effectively captures how while the other prisoners have lost somethings too, Crichton has lost everything that he knew.
__________________
Completely Loony for Luna and Ginny!
coolghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 06:33 PM   #275
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

I watched the Perfect Murder episode, it's not THAT bad. It's a season 4 episode so it's not that great.

I watched the one after it too, it's just silly.

These episodes would be fine if it were still season 1 when we are getting to know the characters, but it's season 4 and it feels like they are just stalling to the end. I thought season 4 would be like a new beginning to the show, the new characters come in and they have a new gameplan. Stand alone episodes in season 1 were fun and goofy and were built on in the later seasons. Now it just seems stereotypical sci-fi, and if kind of boring considering how crazy and different Farscape is. Like the wheels in the plotlines are just spinning in the snow.

Did someone say that the season gets better in episode 11 onward? I'm up to episode 10 and it's still.... ehhhh...
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 06:41 PM   #276
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

You're not at Unrealized Reality yet. Once you are, there is a significant change to the season, starting with those three episodes.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:38 PM   #277
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander
 
Bonzo the Fifth's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Exactly. A large part of the reason we forgive Season 4 for its faults is that we know the rockiness of the beginning of S4 has to do with SciFi meddling, trying to push for more accessible standalone stories that, frankly, the showrunners weren't interested in doing at this point. They'd set up some excellent arcs in S3, and the best parts of S4 are the arc-based stuff that start abruptly at Ep 11, Unrealized Reality.

Overall, honestly, the weak episodes at the start of Season 4 aren't really bad (even, admittedly, A Prefect Murder), they're not even especially weak (the character interactions are well written, and there are plenty of amusing moments) it's just that they're episodes that would have been a better fit during Season 1 or 2, where standalones were a bit more plentiful and necessary to build character interaction. The first half of Season 4 is an exercise in frustration, though as you sit through these standalones impatiently waiting for the plot to get started already.

Last edited by Bonzo the Fifth; February 1 2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Egregious grammar error corrections.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 09:17 PM   #278
Can
Commander
 
Can's Avatar
 
Location: Istanbul , Turkey
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

I don't understand why everyone is so hard on Season 4. Yes there had been a significant change in storytelling in first half , being some of them stand alones...but was there any other option ? Sci-Fi Channel demanded it...Besides some of them like "Promises" or "I Shrink Therefore..." were quite good. And I find this approach somewhat fresh in story arc telling...They took their time in reuniting everyone and Moya together.....Under the circumstances it is somewhat realistic . If everyone got together at first episoe then began running away it would be lame.

As for the new characters well nobody could top Scorpy as antagonist so it is normal that Grayza seems toned down. As a character she will develop more. Sikozu is supposed to be unlikable. She was written that way. Don't expect a second Zhaan like type. And I even like Noranti....Her aloof but wise behavior is sometimes amusing.
__________________
"Assimilate This !" - Worf , Star Trek : First Contact
Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 10:41 PM   #279
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

My problem with Grandma is one sec she is a drug dealer and another she is a crazy old woman. I like the old woman, I don't like the "John's druggie" part. Small Jool I just don't like at all, she should have never have been added.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 01:01 AM   #280
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Thanks to lvsxy808 and RoJo for reminding me about which members of the crew had already left Moya prior to the wormhole appearance. I feel a little silly for having forgotten already that they had already left, rather than preparing to follow through on their plans. Looking back now at my thoughts on "Dog with Two Bones," I was apparently clear on the crew splitting up when I watched it, making me feel even more ridiculous for having already forgotten. Oh well, I guess...

Also, yes, lvsxy808, I have to agree with you re: PK guards. They seem to be even more worthless than Star Wars stormtroopers! And thanks for the behind-the-scenes information; very interesting to read.


Lava's a Many Splendored Thing
- I know that I'm only four episodes into the season and that it would cheapen her departure in "Dog with Two Bones" if she had already rejoined the others, but I miss Aeryn.

- DRD-1812 is still around, eh? I was expecting that DRDs would die when their Leviathan died.

- Best part of this episode: Crichton and D'Argo's argument about Crichton's plan to take out the enemy leader with a rock. Other than that, the episode just barely held my attention. Pretty boring overall, really.


Promises
- Well... that wasn't quite the Crichton/Aeryn reunion I was hoping for. Scorpius onboard Moya is going to be... different, to say the least, I'm sure, and it's yet more symmetry between Crais and Scorpy. Unlike Crais, though, I can't imagine Scorpy ever becoming a reliable ally.

- I can't describe how good it is to see Moya, Pilot, and Aeryn again. I'm very happy the crew is back together again. I think the character dynamics of having everyone together again in this episode is why the first few felt so odd. And, of course, the return of Moya means the return of Crichton's snazzy PK uniform.

- Peculiar that Scorpius would now want to help Crichton by finally and fully removing the neural clone. I wouldn't be willing to trust either, but I think I'd be a little more inclined to trust Harvey at this point since he has as much interest in Crichton staying alive as Crichton himself does. I'm willing to believe Scorpius's claim that he's on Moya to safeguard Crichton, but, as he himself said to Sikozu, he also has other plans - Scorpy never stops scheming. I'm assuming the neural clone may somehow factor into those other plans.

- This was a much more entertaining episode than the last few. As I said before, I think a large part of this is due to simply having the entire crew interacting with one another again. The last few weren't necessarily bad episodes on their own (well... "Lava" was, as far as I'm concerned), but they weren't as well done either as most of the split-crew episodes of the previous season, so those two issues taken together made the episodes feel uneven and less than satisfying.

- The start of an apparent alliance between Sikozu and Scorpius will, I'm sure, result in many issues throughout this season. I'd like to learn more about Aeryn's time as an assassin. Pilot's suggestion of a "spokesman" to provide a singular voice for the crew makes a lot of sense, and I'm surprised he and Moya put up with the cacophony of voices, demands, and differing opinions for so long without posing such a suggestion before now.


Natural Election
- I am glad the crew didn't try a rotating captaincy as a long-term solution; that would've been... tricky. D'Argo feels like the right choice, even though Crichton has pretty much called the shots since he arrived on the scene.

- Damn, the shot of the plant all over and inside Pilot was disturbing.

- Sikozu and Noranti make a fairly amusing duo doing the type of job that Zhaan once would've fulfilled, trying to figure out a way to kill the plant.

- Rygel's feelings of guilt and responsibility for the predicament occurring on his watch as captain speaks well of him once again.

- This was an okay standalone episode. I don't think I'll remember much of it when I get a few more episodes down the line, but it was enjoyable enough while I watched it. The best parts of this episode, though, was the interplay between the characters, particularly the continuing rollercoaster of the Crichton/Aeryn relationship - all things that redeem, at least in part, even bad entries in the series.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 01:23 AM   #281
Can
Commander
 
Can's Avatar
 
Location: Istanbul , Turkey
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

Lava's a Many Splendored Thing
- I know that I'm only four episodes into the season and that it would cheapen her departure in "Dog with Two Bones" if she had already rejoined the others, but I miss Aeryn.

- DRD-1812 is still around, eh? I was expecting that DRDs would die when their Leviathan died.

- Best part of this episode: Crichton and D'Argo's argument about Crichton's plan to take out the enemy leader with a rock. Other than that, the episode just barely held my attention. Pretty boring overall, really..
I just love belly dance scene of Noranti in this episode. When I saw that first time I was crying with laughter "I am the queen you are the bee..."

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

Promises
- Well... that wasn't quite the Crichton/Aeryn reunion I was hoping for. Scorpius onboard Moya is going to be... different, to say the least, I'm sure, and it's yet more symmetry between Crais and Scorpy. Unlike Crais, though, I can't imagine Scorpy ever becoming a reliable ally.

- I can't describe how good it is to see Moya, Pilot, and Aeryn again. I'm very happy the crew is back together again. I think the character dynamics of having everyone together again in this episode is why the first few felt so odd. And, of course, the return of Moya means the return of Crichton's snazzy PK uniform.

- Peculiar that Scorpius would now want to help Crichton by finally and fully removing the neural clone. I wouldn't be willing to trust either, but I think I'd be a little more inclined to trust Harvey at this point since he has as much interest in Crichton staying alive as Crichton himself does. I'm willing to believe Scorpius's claim that he's on Moya to safeguard Crichton, but, as he himself said to Sikozu, he also has other plans - Scorpy never stops scheming. I'm assuming the neural clone may somehow factor into those other plans.

- This was a much more entertaining episode than the last few. As I said before, I think a large part of this is due to simply having the entire crew interacting with one another again. The last few weren't necessarily bad episodes on their own (well... "Lava" was, as far as I'm concerned), but they weren't as well done either as most of the split-crew episodes of the previous season, so those two issues taken together made the episodes feel uneven and less than satisfying.

- The start of an apparent alliance between Sikozu and Scorpius will, I'm sure, result in many issues throughout this season. I'd like to learn more about Aeryn's time as an assassin. Pilot's suggestion of a "spokesman" to provide a singular voice for the crew makes a lot of sense, and I'm surprised he and Moya put up with the cacophony of voices, demands, and differing opinions for so long without posing such a suggestion before now.


Natural Election
- I am glad the crew didn't try a rotating captaincy as a long-term solution; that would've been... tricky. D'Argo feels like the right choice, even though Crichton has pretty much called the shots since he arrived on the scene.

- Damn, the shot of the plant all over and inside Pilot was disturbing.

- Sikozu and Noranti make a fairly amusing duo doing the type of job that Zhaan once would've fulfilled, trying to figure out a way to kill the plant.

- Rygel's feelings of guilt and responsibility for the predicament occurring on his watch as captain speaks well of him once again.

- This was an okay standalone episode. I don't think I'll remember much of it when I get a few more episodes down the line, but it was enjoyable enough while I watched it. The best parts of this episode, though, was the interplay between the characters, particularly the continuing rollercoaster of the Crichton/Aeryn relationship - all things that redeem, at least in part, even bad entries in the series.

Just like Babylon 5 did in its own time Farscape's story changes , evolves and develops with its characters. There is no going back to status quo. As you said Scorpy's joining to Moya team , election of Dargo as captain...all of them are significant things which add something for the future...
__________________
"Assimilate This !" - Worf , Star Trek : First Contact
Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 04:07 AM   #282
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Kansas is awesome when the story takes place on the plant. On Maya so far kind of stupid. Haha
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 04:31 AM   #283
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander
 
Bonzo the Fifth's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

It is kind of interesting, isn't it, that Rygel has grown to the point that he would take this so personally. Really demonstrates not only the growth of his character, but his suitability for his throne when/if he ever attains it again, as I imagine he will be a much more enlightened monarch than he was the first time around...

Yeah, 1812 stays around for a while, what I find most interesting is that 1812 apparently has quite a bit of autonomy for a DRD. It didn't die with Elack, and neither is it part of the 'Moya network' of DRD's. It does what it wants, when it wants (or whatever Chrichton wants, anyway...)

Yeah, D'Argo really is the most logical choice out of them all. Yeah, they're all basically doing Chrichton's bidding at this point, but he's the outsider to the group. Generally speaking, D'Argo or Rygel has spoken for them when it ever came to representing them as a group. And they're the two that have been there the longest. D'Argo really was the most sensible choice.

It does say a lot for Zhann that, since she left, it usually takes at least two people to do the tasks she traditionally would do alone, like anything medical or analysis related. Like Crais/Jool and the Boolite in S3, or Noranti and Sikozu with the alien plant... thing. Just goes to show that her presence is felt, even though she's not there anymore... :-(

As for Sikozu/Scorpius... I'm only going to say, you're definitely right about that...
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 06:13 PM   #284
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Can wrote: View Post
I don't understand why everyone is so hard on Season 4. Yes there had been a significant change in storytelling in first half , being some of them stand alones...but was there any other option ? Sci-Fi Channel demanded it....
Sci-Fi made no such demands.

http://www.karlsweb.com/KarlswebNews...kneStarlog.htm

One can't help but wonder if the network – unhappy with what they were getting in terms of content – ever approached O'Bannon or executive producer David Kemper with notes about making Farscape more accessible to new or casual viewers. "There were never any specific notes that I know of," says O'Bannon. "Believe me, there were constant conversations of, 'How can we make this more accessible?' But does that translate to dumbing it down or making the stories or characters less complex? We were battling our personal feelings that the show's appeal – to the passionate core audience and the critics – was that it was so outside the box. But the very thing that made it so unique also made it [difficult] for new viewers to hop aboard any single episode and get caught up in who these characters are.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 12:59 AM   #285
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

John Quixote
- I have no idea where to begin with this one. Each time I think Farscape can't possibly top its most bizarre episode, I've been proven wrong, a trend that continued once again here. This episode was easily unlike anything I've ever seen on another series. It was absolutely off-the-walls insane.


I Shrink Therefore I Am
- I'm very disappointed in Crichton that he actually decided to start using Noranti's little "forget Aeryn" drug. Considering how many times he dusted up during this episode, I'm also worried that he's becoming an addict.

- "I've been around long enough to know how ignorant I am" was a remarkably self-aware statement from Rygel. Sparky really has been growing as an individual over the course of the series.

- Oh, I am so happy someone actually rode into battle on top of a DRD. That was too great a moment to pass up.

- This is an easier episode than the previous one to call a fun romp. The basic plot - and especially the reduction technology - may not make for a particularly strong episode overall, but it was pretty good, enjoyable, and important in showing that the Scarrans are now interested in Crichton due to the interest Scorpius and Grayza have in him.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
farscape

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.