Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2011, 07:25 AM   #256
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
For sure. The show returns to form with "Promises."
I wouldn't go that far. It does 'start' to get back to form, and 'Promises' is a great ep, but I think most of the other episodes between that and 'Unrealized Reality' are somewhat weak, with 'Prefect Murder' being the low point of the season, IMO...

I just rewatched 'John Quixote', given some of the support for the episode I've seen in the thread, and I have to say my opinion of it does need to be revised, especially as it's the last really wacky episode of the series... I think my problem is that every previous viewing was in the context of a marathon where it sits shortly after the excellent 'Promises', where I'm frustrated that things haven't gotten quite back on track yet... Taken by itself, I have to say it's quite funny... I really like the Scorpy makeup in that one... it's totally fake, but it works... lol
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 07:34 AM   #257
RoJoHen
Awesome

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
For sure. The show returns to form with "Promises."
I wouldn't go that far. It does 'start' to get back to form, and 'Promises' is a great ep, but I think most of the other episodes between that and 'Unrealized Reality' are somewhat weak, with 'Prefect Murder' being the low point of the season, IMO...
Yeah, I tend to forget that "A Prefect Murder" exists. I have tried to block it from my memory.

Other than that one, though, I enjoy them all. Yes, even "Coup by Clam."
Old January 31 2011, 07:47 AM   #258
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Huh. I quite like "A Prefect Murder" while I can't stand "Coup by Clam" (although I did enjoy it more the last time I saw it a few years ago than I did initially).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 07:59 AM   #259
RoJoHen
Awesome

I don't mind the story of "A Prefect Murder," but I couldn't stand the way they told it. They had about 10 minutes of plot that they just kept telling and re-telling, and by about the halfway point I just wanted it to be over.
Old January 31 2011, 08:41 AM   #260
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Ah, but that's one of the reasons why I like it so much. Nontraditional narration.

I was wrong about what I said earlier about "John Quixote:"

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 08:49 AM   #261
RoJoHen
Awesome

Emh wrote: View Post
Ah, but that's one of the reasons why I like it so much. Nontraditional narration.
Yeah...I just don't think they pulled it off very well.
Old January 31 2011, 09:31 AM   #262
chrisspringob
Commodore

Of the new characters introduced for Season 4, I liked Sikozu, but strongly disliked Noranti and Grayza. Grayza is such a ridiculous villain. How the heck are the viewers supposed to take her seriously?

All in all, I thought the show suffered a massive downturn in quality in Season 4. Yeah, it gets a bit better at the end, but is still markedly worse than the quality of Season 3. (Though, yes, there are a few gems, like "Unrealized Reality".)

When I watched the show in its initial run, and saw the "Into the Lion's Den" 2 parter, I was like "OK, this looks like a massive turning point for the show. Scorpy's wormhole project is over, and the PK's pursuit of Crichton for his wormhole knowledge is presumably over, and we'll now move on to the next part of the story."

Problem is, Season 4 didn't involve moving on with the story. It's basically just a rehash of the previous seasons' plotlines, except with everyone's motivations made more confusing.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 07:20 PM   #263
Daneel
Rear Admiral

So, I've been steadily continuing my (first-time) Farscape viewing. I just finished Season 3 -- Holy frelling dren. That was quite the ride, especially towards the end with the "Into the Lions' Den" two-parter. Some truly epic television there. And that finale... well, I'm glad I don't have to wait months to find out what happens next.

Although after skimming through this thread, I'm a little apprehensive about what's to come. From my own impressions, I would find it difficult to imagine how they could top Season 3, and it would appear that the general consensus is that Season 4 is a noticeable step down in quality.

Ah well, that's certainly not going to stop me from watching it, of course. Besides, I've found that even less-than-stellar Farscape is still pretty good. In that regard, it's kind of like pizza... or sex.

I'm glad I listened to you guys and decided to give this series a go. Thanks.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 10:00 PM   #264
label
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Problem is, Season 4 didn't involve moving on with the story. It's basically just a rehash of the previous seasons' plotlines, except with everyone's motivations made more confusing.
While I agree with much of what you said (I also thought granny was annoying and Grayza too oversexed to take seriously) I thought the story line itself was a natural progression from previous seasons.

Season 1 : John gets the wormhole info downloaded into him; Scorpy finds it hidden
Season 2 : John and Aeryn spend a lot of time running from Peacekeepers while gaining more info on the conflict between the Peacekeepers and Scarrans
Season 3 : John starts to get a handle on some of the wormhole info and stops running from Scorpy and instead goes on the offensive.
Season 4 : John starts to master the wormhole knowledge and now has to deal with the possible Scarran threat that he may have helped make worse in Season 3
Peacekeeper Wars : The final resolution of the war between the two races and John and Aeryn's ultimate fate.
Old January 31 2011, 10:39 PM   #265
Can
Commander

Daneel wrote: View Post
So, I've been steadily continuing my (first-time) Farscape viewing. I just finished Season 3 -- Holy frelling dren. That was quite the ride, especially towards the end with the "Into the Lions' Den" two-parter. Some truly epic television there. And that finale... well, I'm glad I don't have to wait months to find out what happens next.

Although after skimming through this thread, I'm a little apprehensive about what's to come. From my own impressions, I would find it difficult to imagine how they could top Season 3, and it would appear that the general consensus is that Season 4 is a noticeable step down in quality.

Ah well, that's certainly not going to stop me from watching it, of course. Besides, I've found that even less-than-stellar Farscape is still pretty good. In that regard, it's kind of like pizza... or sex.

I'm glad I listened to you guys and decided to give this series a go. Thanks.

Folks we have another Farscape newbie at our hands....Welcome to Farscape madness Daneel...Right now I am doing my own rewatch ( just finished Home on Remains in Season 2 ) I think Farscape is the series that defines EPIC in space opera genre on television.....I call it "Australian Star Wars" Nothing comes closer in its excellent production values and writing....

In my opinion Season 4 is very good. Not as stellar as Season 3 maybe but it holds its own quite well especially in its excellent second half. After magnificent story arc of Season 3 , next season seems a little bit lacking , especially with stand alone style episodes in the beginning (Sci-Fi Channel asked for that ) and with some new characters. It is unavoidable. Farscape is a series that always takes risks ( risk taking in television. Unheard in networks nowadays ) There is no backing to status-quo or reset button. ( most tv audience would expect these ) Besides as you mentioned even less-than-stellar episodes in Farscape standarts are much better than anything in tv based sci-fi.....

Send your reviews....
Old January 31 2011, 10:59 PM   #266
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Of the new characters introduced for Season 4, I liked Sikozu, but strongly disliked Noranti and Grayza. Grayza is such a ridiculous villain. How the heck are the viewers supposed to take her seriously?
Grayza has mindcontrolling boobsweat.

What's not to like?
Old February 1 2011, 01:39 AM   #267
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

How could you not say anything about my absolute favorite scene from the entire frickin show?! John and Aeryn saying goodbye!
Brilliantly acted scene, but at the time I didn't know what else to say about it. I still don't, really, except that it was like a kick to the chest. Since I've already seen PKW, it probably wasn't as effective as it would have been not knowing about Aeryn's pregnancy, but it was still pretty powerful since it ended with a stranded Crichton.
All right, PsychoPere, I'm about to pass you in my rewatch. Starting "Dog with Two Bones" right now. Get a move on!
I've been busy!

Crichton Kicks
- "Some Time Later," eh? I would've preferred a more specific figure, but I suppose it doesn't really matter that much. I think this extended period of isolation has made Crichton even crazier than normal...

- Seeing an old, dying Pilot & Leviathan is a rather sad way to open the season. I do like, though, that we've now seen two more Leviathans in the last couple episodes, since I always like seeing more of these living ships.

- No choice but to love that Crichton taught the 1812 Overture to a DRD. Perfectly fits his sensibilities that he'd teach some piece of music to a DRD at some point; a little surprised it took him this long, but I suppose he didn't have much else to do while onboard Elack.

- Did I miss something? How did Chiana and Rygel end up back at the Leviathan burial space? Weren't they onboard Moya when she was pulled into the wormhole at the end of last season?

- Sikozu is smoking hot with her hair down.

- Not a top-tier season premiere, but solid enough to keep me generally entertained. I found Elack's decision to sacrifice his dream of dying in the Leviathan sacred place in order to ferry Crichton and his companions to safety to be very touching. Crichton does have a knack for inspiring loyalty.

What Was Lost Part I: Sacrifice
- I feel again like I missed something, because there's footage in the "Previously on..." segment that I do not recall: Grayza promoting Braca to captain, and Braca saying something to Scorpy about him no longer having a ship to command. I assume these were deleted scenes from a previous episode, used here to quickly bring viewers up-to-speed on the power dynamics between those three.

- Nice to see most of the crew reunited already. As I said for the season three finale, I didn't want another prolonged split-crew situation.

- How deliciously ironic that Scorpy would be subjected to the Aurora Chair after previously forcing Crais into it. Nice symmetry there, too, that each major villain has been forced into the Chair by the new rising villain. His torture and subsequently being treated like a dog can, I think, be summed up by the phrase "how the mighty have fallen."

- Like D'Argo, I was disappointed that Jool didn't defend him to Vella, but even more disappointed by her subsequent conversation with D'Argo. I had come to like her over the course of the previous season, but I suppose she hasn't overcome her culture's inherent arrogance towards other species.

- I know this is only her second appearance, but I'm not really "feeling" Grayza as a villain, despite the low level she has brought Scorpy down to. Also, I'm a little creeped out by her having sex with Crichton; she's physically attractive, sure, but gives off such a creepy vibe, which so far seems to be the only thing going for her in villain terms.

- I'm already tired of Noranti blowing shit into Crichton's face. Please tell me this decreases in later episodes.

- Overall a pretty lame episode.

What Was Lost Part II: Resurrection
- Damn, is Scorpy even tougher than I thought, to still be alive after a point-blank pulse pistol blast. Naturally I'm glad he's not dead; I would've been worried about things getting boring without him around.

- The short scene with Chiana, Jool, and Sikozu taking out the guards at their cell gave me a good chuckle. Given their scenes during the firefight with the PK soldiers, I'm liking the dynamic of these three working together.

- Shudder. Grayza and Crichton really need to stop having sex. I hope she doesn't get pregnant; last thing Crichton needs is a third kid in the Territories. Got to love the way he left her tied up, though.

- This part was better than part one, primarily for the segments where the crew had to deal with the PKs. The segment of the episode back on the planet, after the PKs had left, again failed to hold much interest for me, like part one.

- Goodbye, Elack and Pilot. We didn't know you for long, but I respect and admire your sacrifice for the sake of your last impromptu crew. Your actions speak well of the Leviathan and Pilot races.

- I take it, then, that Sikozu was introduced to, at least in a sense, "replace" Jool on the crew since Jool is staying on this planet. I'll miss her; she really did grow on me by the end of her season on the show, and I think her relationship with D'Argo felt more "right" (for lack of a better word as I type this) than his relationship with Chiana did. (Chiana always seemed too spirited and carefree for D'Argo.)
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 02:01 AM   #268
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

- Did I miss something? How did Chiana and Rygel end up back at the Leviathan burial space? Weren't they onboard Moya when she was pulled into the wormhole at the end of last season?

What Was Lost Part I: Sacrifice
- I feel again like I missed something, because there's footage in the "Previously on..." segment that I do not recall: Grayza promoting Braca to captain, and Braca saying something to Scorpy about him no longer having a ship to command. I assume these were deleted scenes from a previous episode, used here to quickly bring viewers up-to-speed on the power dynamics between those three.

- I take it, then, that Sikozu was introduced to, at least in a sense, "replace" Jool on the crew since Jool is staying on this planet. I'll miss her; she really did grow on me by the end of her season on the show, and I think her relationship with D'Argo felt more "right" (for lack of a better word as I type this) than his relationship with Chiana did. (Chiana always seemed too spirited and carefree for D'Argo.)
Yeah I don't remember how they explained that either, and "previously on..." with deleted scenes is very very weird,

I really like Jool and the small version of her sucks. Would have made a really cute couple with D'Argo.
Old February 1 2011, 02:07 AM   #269
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

Eh... Jool got better, but I'll never say she 'grew' on me. Granted, though, as you say, she did ultimately make more sense as a pairing for D'Argo than Chiana did. Chiana just isn't the type that will likely ever settle down, and D'Argo... well, I think it's obvious at this point that, warrior machismo aside, he's ready to settle down and have a life away from this... Hell, in a way, you'll see over the course of the season that, even though they're all loyal to one another, there's a growing sense of needing to get stop running and to get their lives started again.

But yes, Sikozu does essentially replace Jool, and while she has her strengths over Jool (she doesn't scream as much, for one), she ends up with other faults (she's just as bitchy and arrogant, but never actually recovers from it, unlike Jool). She also has a couple of major character faults that seem interesting at first, but quickly grow to be infuriatingly irritating once the writers start using them at every opportunity. I won't go into the details of said faults (very spoilerific), but I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about, and I think you'll quickly come to know exactly what I'm talking about once you see it.

Sikozu, however, does end up with one relationship that proves to be very, very fascinating, if a bit squicky, that does somewhat redeem her in my eyes... just not quite enough to justify her existence to me... maybe with another season and perhaps some character development, but in the end, she just didn't grow enough to interest me much.

She is cute as hell, though... ;-)

Yeah, this two parter was kinda weak, and every time I watch it, I can only vaguely follow the plot, not because it's difficult, I just have a hard time caring... there's interesting bits, but not nearly enough of them and they're too far apart to keep me interested in between.

Good news is, you've got one less than stellar episode (the ever contentious 'Lava...'), then you start getting to the first really good ep of the season (Promises), a couple of decent eps, a couple of bad ones, then solid awesome straight to the end... it'll be worth it... :-)
Old February 1 2011, 02:09 AM   #270
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

But yeah, the beginning of this season is just weird... as though there were a missing episode or something that we never got to see... I don't think I ever actually heard the official story for that, but it does make the early eps rather jarring.... unfortunately, unlike Season 2, they never really circle back around to show everything that happened