Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 27 2011, 09:24 AM   #226
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

I haven't seen season 4, but I have a bad feeling the "stand alone" episodes were supposed to bring up topics for a 5th season.

I love the fact that the characters on the show come and go, it's really perfect and I will always give them credit for killing off and getting rid of some characters and bring back others and new ones. Plus you miss the old characters that are gone, but start to really like the news ones... besides Jool (Jewel?) I really just don't like her, she seems useless and I wish they gave her more back story.

The set is now down to $60.49 on Amazon.

Last edited by bigdaddy; January 27 2011 at 09:50 AM.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2011, 02:56 PM   #227
label
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
AND AERYN IS PREGNANT!
For people watching this live for the first time, I remember what a huge deal this was. The way the season ended totally sucker punched me and it was awesome.

Season 4 starts out weird.
The first few episodes are a bit on the mediocre side of things. Not so much because they're bad, but because after all the stuff that happened in the end of Season 3, the last thing you want are fucking standalones!
While I agree that we didn't want standalones, I'd say "What was lost" and "Lava's a Many"...were both just plain bad episodes to boot. Noranti is painful to have on screen and she's constantly blowing her magic pixie dust crap at John..... Commandant Cleavage is a joke of an adversary after Scorpy and Crais........you basically just have two women constantly drugging John pulling him in different directions. I was so done with that storyline long before it ended.

That said, there is not a single episode of Season 4 that I dislike, and the second half of the season is absolutely fantastic.
The second half of this season is indeed awesome, I just don't know how you found a way to like "Lava's a many"......for me, there was little redeeming about that episode.
Old January 27 2011, 04:01 PM   #228
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, I did like it, and I love "What Was Lost" as well. Of course, I also think Granny is a great character, so there you go.
Old January 27 2011, 04:19 PM   #229
label
Vice Admiral

Well, I did like it, and I love "What Was Lost" as well. Of course, I also think Granny is a great character, so there you go.
That's probably the difference then......couple my dislike of her character most of the time with the fact that she was such a central part of those episodes and that's probably the largest reason I didn't care for them as much.

The funny thing about Granny is that I liked her fine in Dog with Two bones. I liked how she was introduced and what part she played in that episode. It really wasn't until "What was Lost" where she went around blowing crap in John's face all the time and getting him hooked on the "forget Aeryn" drugs that I started to dislike her. It's really unfortunate because I think she started out having the same sort of potential that Zhan always had with the crew........a voice of wisdom, insight, spirituality...
Old January 27 2011, 05:22 PM   #230
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

Yeah, Talyn's/Crais's sacrifice is indeed epic, and a death truly hero-worthy for the both of them. I do like that the command carrier didn't just immediately explode, but went through a 'death throe' as it was so succinctly put.... it allowed for some really impressive scene work, especially the 'water on the stairs' bit, which, if you listen to the commentary for that scene, almost didn't work because they had only one shot at it, and apparently, Scorpius' shoes have no traction whatsoever, so if Wayne Pygram had taken a spill walking those stairs, the whole scene would have been ruined.

Really impressive stuff, though...

Yeah, Farscape is good at making the big, action heavy stuff a bit removed from the season ender, leaving the finale's to be taken up by the emotional sucker punches. I like that about the show, personally, since it keeps things from seeming too crowded at the end of the season. What, in most shows, you'd see as a five minute denouement after the pyrotechnics, Farscape likes to do as a whole episode... Season 4 will end much the same way, if that's not too much of a spoiler.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 05:04 AM   #231
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Say, how and when did Scorpy find out that Moya had a child? Chrichton didn't know that she'd delivered when he was in the Aurora chair, did he?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 05:32 AM   #232
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post

Yeah, Farscape is good at making the big, action heavy stuff a bit removed from the season ender, leaving the finale's to be taken up by the emotional sucker punches. I like that about the show, personally, since it keeps things from seeming too crowded at the end of the season. What, in most shows, you'd see as a five minute denouement after the pyrotechnics, Farscape likes to do as a whole episode... Season 4 will end much the same way, if that's not too much of a spoiler.

I really like that too, that the main climax of the season doesn't happen at the last second but gives some time to what happens after.

However I disliked the last episode of season 3 and the first couple from season 4. It's just I don't care, it's really sad.
Old January 30 2011, 09:00 AM   #233
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

You know, I don't really have much of a problem with 'Chrichton Kicks'. I agree that most of the other starting eps of Season 4 are a bit weak, and 'Chrichton Kicks' does have its problems, but, of the standalones in S4, it's probably my favorite, which is too bad, because I really wanted to like 'John Quixote', but, in the end, it's just a bit too zany in the wrong sort of way... 'I Shrink, Therefore I am', wasn't too bad, either, but it's the kind of episode that would have been better in Season 2, as the tone doesn't really work as well, I think, at this point in the series...

But yes, unfortunately, the beginning to S4 is very, very rocky... some weak eps, and several new characters that no one ever really gets into (though Sikozu has her fans). Season 4 smacks way too much of network meddling derailing the show, which is fortunately remedied by the halfway mark, but I think the weak opening is likely what contributed to Farscape's untimely end on SciFi...

Last edited by Bonzo the Fifth; January 30 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old January 30 2011, 09:05 AM   #234
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Just to give you an idea, it isn't until Episode 5 "Promises" that you really get anything nearly as good as what you saw in the previous season, and Episode 11 "Unrealized Reality", the season midpoint, before you get to anything epic... fortunately, though, past the midpoint, it's pretty much unbroken awesome straight through the finish...

Although, I'm going to dissent from most of the posters here in saying that my least favorite eps from Season 4 are probably Coup By Clam and A Prefect Murder... Personally, I put 'Prefect' at 'Meltdown levels of suck... almost, but not quite...
Old January 30 2011, 11:18 AM   #235
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love love love "John Quixote." It's one episode from Season 4 that I constantly find myself rewatching. There is just so much more going on in that episode that you don't really realize until you've seen it a few times.
Old January 30 2011, 12:43 PM   #236
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Does Peace Keeper Wars feel like any type of conclusion or is it one of those "we are stilling hoping to get another season after this" feel going on.
Old January 30 2011, 03:34 PM   #237
label
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Does Peace Keeper Wars feel like any type of conclusion or is it one of those "we are stilling hoping to get another season after this" feel going on.
Last time I watched the Peace Keeper wars right after finishing season 4 it felt a natural progression of things and provided some definite closure. Not so much that things couldn't continue if they wanted to, but where they left things provided enough closure where you could be content if no other Farscape ever appeared.

Also, count me in as another person who loved John Quixote. Awesome episode. Loooved Aeryn's southern drawl with a lisp accent.
Old January 30 2011, 05:20 PM   #238
RoJoHen
Awesome

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh no, PKW definitely provides closure for all the major storylines of the show. If they wanted to make more, I'm sure they could come up with something, but I think PKW serves as a fantastic finale.

I mean, PKW wasn't even made until 2 years after Farscape had been canceled. They certainly weren't planning to make any more.
Old January 30 2011, 06:34 PM   #239
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I mean, PKW wasn't even made until 2 years after Farscape had been canceled. They certainly weren't planning to make any more.

You never know. Manny Coto made Odyssey 5 seven or eight years ago, I think it was 2002. It was canceled after several months when only 13 episodes aired, a few years later they showed the rest, I think that was 2004. A few years after that the DVD came out, 2006. On the pilot episode he gives a commentary along with Peter Weller, the perfect time to explain where the show was heading, why the Earth want boom. Instead he only explained a little bit about what a second season would have brought because he still thought someday he could tell the story! He was nuts! I want to know why the fucking Earth imploded!

Old January 30 2011, 09:25 PM   #240
RoJoHen
Awesome

All right, PsychoPere, I'm about to pass you in my rewatch. Starting "Dog with Two Bones" right now. Get a move on!