Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Clark Details Trek Books

Takei To Appear On Wits

Retro Review: Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang
By: Michelle on Jan 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 24 2011, 09:04 PM   #211
T J
Commodore

Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Old January 24 2011, 09:07 PM   #212
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

label wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I just watched season's 3 Relativity and that has to be the stupidest episode I have seen yet. I can't believe how stupid it is. We can't trust this guy, but we trust him to shoot... yeah like I believ that person is dead.
Just so I'm clear..........the entire episode is ridiculous and stupid because in a very emotional and confusing moment, John and Aeryn accept Crais's offer to kill someone who's out to capture them all and hand them all over the the Peacekeepers??

Granted, I never thought that Crais would actually kill her because of how they filmed the episode and because it's Farscape. However, from the story's point of view, Crais had plenty of motive to kill Xhalax, not the least of which was self preservation and his affection for Aeryn.

No that's just one of the many things wrong. Three people need to create a distraction? two would have been fine. Aeryn should have locked up her mother in a cell, but then 40 minutes of the show would have never have happened. it was just insanely stupid and unbelievable!
Old January 24 2011, 09:08 PM   #213
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Well.. the question was asked (axt).
Old January 24 2011, 09:47 PM   #214
label
Vice Admiral

Aeryn should have locked up her mother in a cell, but then 40 minutes of the show would have never have happened.
Well, I did remember thinking the same thing when I first watched it, though it certainly didn't bother me as much as it did you. The only thing is whether Talyn had a cell or if Aeryn felt Xhalax was safest where Aeryn could keep an eye on her. Still, I have to concede that it was sloppy to allow Xhalax to get loose after being captured. I guess you can either chalk it up to lazy writing in that instance - or - Aeryn wasn't thinking very clearly having just knocked out her mom who she hasn't seen in years and years and who's out to kill her now.
Old January 24 2011, 11:23 PM   #215
Can
Commander

label wrote: View Post
Aeryn should have locked up her mother in a cell, but then 40 minutes of the show would have never have happened.
Well, I did remember thinking the same thing when I first watched it, though it certainly didn't bother me as much as it did you. The only thing is whether Talyn had a cell or if Aeryn felt Xhalax was safest where Aeryn could keep an eye on her. Still, I have to concede that it was sloppy to allow Xhalax to get loose after being captured. I guess you can either chalk it up to lazy writing in that instance - or - Aeryn wasn't thinking very clearly having just knocked out her mom who she hasn't seen in years and years and who's out to kill her now.
Everyone makes mistakes. Aeryn probably underestimated Xhalax whom she had not seen for years. Besides in that part Aeryn left Talyn in a hurry and she probably relied Stark and Rygel to keep an eye on her.
Old January 25 2011, 12:47 AM   #216
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

oh man - I shouldn't read this thread. I had forgotten all about Aeryn Sun's mommy issues and it all slowly started coming back as I read the posts. It would have been more fun to come across the ep and be surprised at what happens. And not know who ends up killing who.

The nice thing is that it'll probably till middle of the year before I get to that ep.
Old January 25 2011, 05:22 AM   #217
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

^ I was trying to be vague in my first post on the topic, but that didn't last.

I have liked the next few episodes after it a lot, that episode was just bleh. I'm on a two parter right now... I must stop watching the show! I don't own Peacekeeper Wars yet and I'm flying through it.
Old January 26 2011, 08:57 PM   #218
RoJoHen
Awesome

One little non-spoiler about the last episode you watched, PsychoPere, is that you just saw your last Nebari (aside from Chiana, obviously). There could've been such a cool storyline there with her species and the disease they were spreading across the galaxy. Alas, nothing will ever come of it.
Old January 26 2011, 10:14 PM   #219
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
One little non-spoiler about the last episode you watched, PsychoPere, is that you just saw your last Nebari (aside from Chiana, obviously). There could've been such a cool storyline there with her species and the disease they were spreading across the galaxy. Alas, nothing will ever come of it.
That's really lame. I was hoping we would see her brother and hear about the fight. Now I rather her brother was dead. Could have been great with a huge war with wormholes and diseases.

I'll just blame it on no season 5. Damn assholes.

I'm right after the Loonie Tunes episode. Classic.
Old January 26 2011, 10:18 PM   #220
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm hoping the Nebari will make a comeback in the comics, which have been fantastic so far.
Old January 27 2011, 02:49 AM   #221
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That is disappointing. Like bigdaddy , I also was hoping to meet her brother.

I-Yensch, You-Yensch
- I only have a two-word response to Talyn destroying the medical ship: holy shit. I don't even have words for my dismay over his attack on Moya.

- Liked D'Argo walking around knocking out guards as he began his "negotiations" with Scorpy. A small thing, but amusing and very in-character.

- I sometimes forget how intelligent and perceptive Rygel is, but he shows both characteristics quite well in this episode, both in the "negotiations" with Scorpy and in dealing with Sko & Wa.

- I wish the two stories in this episode hadn't been put together. I didn't really feel "it" with the hostage situation (though I did enjoy watching Rygel and Scorpy interacting). I was far more interested in the Talyn situation, which was both disturbing and heart-breaking.

Into the Lion's Den Part I: Lambs to the Slaughter
- Watching everyone walking around a PK command carrier without restraints is so damn strange. Loved Crais putting Braca in his place by telling him that he is a "consummate Peacekeeper." Crais has come such a long way from a zealot PK himself to a full member of this strange little renegade family clustered around Moya.

- On the Crais subject, based on his subplot in this episode with the former lover, I'm now expecting that his remaining time alive is now short. It felt like one more humanizing story for Crais in preparation for his death, which I expect to be a selfless sacrifice to save the others.

- Speaking of walking around on a PK ship, loved seeing all of the different environments that a command carrier has. Very cool. The generator room especially made for a fun environment for a fight scene.

- After a season of increased combat options, it's nice to see Crichton back to earlier season basics, trying to work out a problem with his brain rather than with Winona.

- I think the war movie backdrop to Crichton's interactions with Harvey in this episode make for my favorite Harvey environments so far. Speaking of, I find it interesting that - at least so far - Harvey is willing to aid Crichton in fooling the real Scorpy in order to preserve his own existence, rather than attempting to aid Scorpy somehow. He may have started out as, and may still be, a neural clone of Scorpius, but Harvey does seem to have become a separate entity of his own.

- Things really are heating up... a new PK commandant, who apparently outranks or whose authority at least can supercede Scorpy's? That can't end well for our crew. Grayza is already portrayed as devious, with her plot to assassinate Scorpy through killing Crichton. I imagine she'll play an even bigger role in season four; it could be interesting to have two PK "big bads" at once.

- Great episode that felt like it packed a lot of material in and covered a lot of ground - ending with Scorpius issuing a chilling threat against Earth...

Into the Lion's Den Part II: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
- I never get tired of hearing Crichton say that they need to blow something up. The gammak base, the Shadow Depository, now the command carrier... No wonder this crew is gaining alternating reputations of being "infamous" and/or "legendary" in the Territories. Hell, this is exactly the plan I was expecting in Part 1 when Crichton was talking to Aeryn about Plan A vs B vs C.

- Aeryn's conversation with the young PK girl and Henta is a perfect showcase of how far she's come, how much she's changed, since the beginning of the show.

- Since I had accepted Crais as a full member of our crew, I didn't want to believe that he had actually betrayed Crichton and the others to Scorpius. Needless to say, I'm very glad he didn't. As mentioned in my thoughts on Part 1, I was expecting Crais to go out with a "hero's death," as nothing else than full, absolute redemption at this point would have felt right. Still, I'm sad to see him and Talyn gone; I'll miss both of them.

- PK command carrier corridors remind me a great deal of Colonial Battlestar corridors, particularly those onboard Galactica.

- Watching the "death throes" of the command carrier was awesome - and I do mean that in the genuine awe-inspiring sense of the word. A particular moment of note was Scorpy standing a set of steps, with the water running down the steps around him. I also appreciated the episode taking a few seconds to give us Pilot & Moya's reaction to Talyn's death. Also got to give kudos to Strappa for his willingness to let Crichton use the Aurora Chair to wipe his wormhole knowledge from his memory.

- Did I say that Part 1 was a great episode? Well, this one rises above even that. It was thoroughly entertaining every step of the way, awe-inspiring as I said before, upped the stakes for Crichton and company considerably, and contained more than one selfless sacrifice. Given the way this episode ended, I'm rather surprised that it's not the season finale.

Dog with Two Bones
- I know I haven't commented on Chiana's visions / premonitions yet, but that's because I just don't know what to say. They're the one thing that - so far, at least - Farscape hasn't really approached in a different manner than most other shows, other than perhaps in the sense that no one has tried to find an explanation for them yet, simply accepting (or not accepting, as in Jool's occasional doubting comments) the visions as a matter-of-course.

- If I didn't already know that the "old lady" is Noranti and a member of the crew in season four, I'd be echoing the question everyone in this episode is asking: Who is she? That said, she's annoying me already in her first appearance, and I hope, even though many people have already posted their opinions about her, that that opinion gets revised over the course of the next season.

- This episode is rather melancholy, what with everyone talking about leaving Moya and John's apparent hallucinations about Earth - and, of course, Talyn's burial. The rogue Leviathan, and the necessity of killing it, was rather sad too. A much smaller episode to end the season one, but it feels appropriate.

- I'm betting the Ancients are behind the wormhole that drew in Moya, resulting in Crichton being stranded in space.

- It may not be quite the adrenaline run of the previous two episodes, but this was still a damn good one, definitely a highpoint worthy of capping the end of the season. I'm sad, though, to see the crew split up again. As much as I did enjoy the separate crews experimentation of this season, I hope this split doesn't last nearly as long next season.

I can't believe I'm headed into the final season. I do not want this ride to be over.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2011, 03:18 AM   #222
label
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
That is disappointing. Like bigdaddy , I also was hoping to meet her brother.
Yeah....this is one of Temis's common complaints about the show that most people here agreed on......we really could have used at least a mini-arc dealing with the Nebari if not a full season type one.

Watching the "death throes" of the command carrier was awesome - and I do mean that in the genuine awe-inspiring sense of the word. A particular moment of note was Scorpy standing a set of steps, with the water running down the steps around him.
Yeah, everyone who first watches this scene is in total awe when they watch it as well. I know the music, the water flowing down the stairs....everything......literally everything was perfect in that moment. There's one other punch-you-in-the-gut-moment to close out this season......(at least it was for me)....the last five minutes of Dog with Two bones where John goes from being heart-broken at Aeryn leaving to having Harvey unlock that Aeryn is pregnant to Moya being sucked into a wormhole and almost completely out of fuel. I thought that was just about as awesome as a finale as the Season 1 cliff-hanger.
Old January 27 2011, 03:26 AM   #223
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love Noranti, but it took me a while to realize it. It really isn't until the latter half of Season 4 that I actually started to find her a worthwhile member of Moya's crew.

How could you not say anything about my absolute favorite scene from the entire frickin show?! John and Aeryn saying goodbye!

John: "Say goodbye to me."
Aeryn: "We don't say goodbyes."
John: "We do this time. You see, you leave, and then you come back, and I can't handle the in between. Say goodbye to me."
Aeryn: "Fine. Goodbye, Crichton."
John: "John! My name is John. Goodbye, John - to my face."
Aeryn: "Guarantee you won't die in my arms again!"
John: "Gaurantee you won't die in mine!"
Aeryn: "I can, by leaving!"

Followed by more yelling and crying and a coin toss! AH!

AND AERYN IS PREGNANT!

Oh, I love that episode so much.

WARNING FOR SEASON 4:

Season 4 starts out weird. Part of the weirdness, I think, is simply because the show is filmed differently. It's filmed in HD widescreen in stead of the 4:3 that we were used to for the first 3 seasons. The lighting is different. The whole show is a lot darker.

The first few episodes are a bit on the mediocre side of things. Not so much because they're bad, but because after all the stuff that happened in the end of Season 3, the last thing you want are fucking standalones!

That said, there is not a single episode of Season 4 that I dislike, and the second half of the season is absolutely fantastic. It just has an awkward start.
Old January 27 2011, 08:05 AM   #224
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I finally got my complete series DVD set the other day and I immediately watched my two favorite episodes, which just happened to be "Into the Lion's Den." It's been several years since I've watched the show but that two-parter still punches me hard in the stomach.

"Talyn...Starburst!"

As for Noranti, I love her. I'm continued to be surprised how much people don't like her considering she's just as crazy as everyone one else on the show.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2011, 08:30 AM   #225
Can
Commander

Final arc of Season 3 somewhat represents destruction of old status quo in Farscape and Moya. Now they have to pickup the pieces and start everything again....( crew getting together , John/Aeryn relationship , wormhole technology locked in John's mind ) It will take time.

First half of Season 4 is a little bit uneven. After a great serial arc they turn back to stand alone format for a few episodes ( but are they really stand alones ? Remember so many stand alone episodes which contributed so much in Season 1-3 ) Sci-Fi Channel began to interfare to Farscape at this point demanding more stand alone type eps. There are good episodes and mediocre ones. But second half of Season 4 is excellent , as impressive as Season 3 itself...