Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 17 2011, 06:22 PM   #136
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Emh wrote: View Post

It's all his fault I decided to for Amazon's big series set deal. I'm still impatiently waiting for it to arrive.

Punk indeed.

You live in the UK right? Because I'm already several episodes into season 2.
Old January 17 2011, 10:31 PM   #137
RoJoHen
Awesome

I stayed up until 5am and blew through 7 episodes last night. I skipped a few that I didn't feel like rewatching. I'm already watching "Durka Returns."
Old January 17 2011, 11:40 PM   #138
label
Vice Admiral

At that rate your going to pass him up and be in the same boat you were before you started while he finished up the series.
Old January 17 2011, 11:42 PM   #139
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
All right, you punk, I'm starting my Farscape rewatch right now. I just can't get it out of my head.
So sorry...

It's all his fault I decided to for Amazon's big series set deal. I'm still impatiently waiting for it to arrive.
Punk indeed.
In your case, turnabout is fair play and all that jazz.

Green Eyed Monster
- This dynamic of Crichton/Aeryn/Crais working together is... different, to say the least. It's going to take some getting used to, which might not be easy, even though I'm now willing to accept Crais as reformed. Found Aeryn's rhetorical question to Talyn about "which one of them is bigger?" during Crichton and Crais's posturing to be quite amusing.

- Stark/Rygel has to be an even more dysfunctional duo than any other combination on this show, and that's saying something.

- I'm a little disturbed that Talyn seemingly has no compunction over spacing someone he doesn't like. With the way he treated John in this episode, and with the fact that Talyn can take control over Crais in a similar manner to Crais's control over Talyn, and with Talyn's general belligerent nature due to being a gunship, I'm started to expect that Talyn will start careening out of control pretty soon.

- I know these last several episode entries have been rather spartan, but sometimes I just don't know what to say even when I'm enjoying an episode. As for this one, it was a fun, good episode, and I particularly liked finally having a chance to see more of Talyn's interiors beyond the command.

Losing Time
- The teaser of this episode (Scorpy interacting with the chip removed from Crichton) made me think of a new question: Do both copies of Crichton now each have a copy of Harvey in their respective heads? If not, if only one of them does, then would that not invalidate the claim that each copy is "original and unique"? (I'm not expecting anyone to actually answer this question; I'm putting it down mainly as one of my thoughts while watching this episode.)

- It was neat to see Moya's starburst chamber and seeing more of Scorpy's continued efforts to unlock the wormhole knowledge from the chip was interesting (particularly that Crichton's imprint on the chip seems able to resist Scorpy's data-sifting), but overall I didn't care much for this episode. It's not necessarily a bad episode, but it never quite grabbed me. I found the alien possessing Chiana difficult to understand during most of its scenes. Still, I have to give props to the writers for still finding new ways to play on the "influenced by an outside source" trope that I've commented on in previous episodes.

Relativity
- Although it's good to see Crichton & Aeryn finally "together," I imagine this will cause big problems if/when the two Crichtons end up on the same ship again.

- As a follow-up to my question from "Losing Time," the Talyn-Crichton has a Harvey. I'll be interested to see if Moya-Crichton does as well.

- Even though it was a failed effort, I was impressed by Rygel's attempt to attack Xhalax from his ThroneSled. For someone who typically chooses "flight" instead of "fight," he didn't hesitate at all after Aeryn and Stark had been knocked out.

- Lots of emotional turmoil in this episode, handled quite well by Claudia Black. I didn't expect Aeryn's reunion with Xhalax to be a happy one, of course, but I still have to feel sorry for her that her only memory of her mother was corrupted by Xhalax's admission that she killed Talyn to keep her position in the PKs. As for Xhalax's "death," I don't think she is dead - after all, we didn't see a body. I'd prefer to think that Crais wouldn't have attempted to strike some sort of deal with her, but there was more time between Aeryn & Crichton walking away and the pulse rifle blasts than I think was necessary, time enough for a quick chat between Crais and Xhalax.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 12:11 AM   #140
label
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

Losing Time
- The teaser of this episode (Scorpy interacting with the chip removed from Crichton) made me think of a new question: Do both copies of Crichton now each have a copy of Harvey in their respective heads? If not, if only one of them does, then would that not invalidate the claim that each copy is "original and unique"? (I'm not expecting anyone to actually answer this question; I'm putting it down mainly as one of my thoughts while watching this episode.)
They not only answer this question, but take the storyline somewhere pretty interesting with at least one of the Critchons. I'm very much looking forward to your reaction to a couple of episodes you're about to hit here pretty soon.
Old January 18 2011, 12:16 AM   #141
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

All right, you punk, I'm starting my Farscape rewatch right now. I just can't get it out of my head.
So sorry...

Punk indeed.

Green Eyed Monster
- This dynamic of Crichton/Aeryn/Crais working together is... different, to say the least. It's going to take some getting used to, which might not be easy, even though I'm now willing to accept Crais as reformed. Found Aeryn's rhetorical question to Talyn about "which one of them is bigger?" during Crichton and Crais's posturing to be quite amusing.

- Stark/Rygel has to be an even more dysfunctional duo than any other combination on this show, and that's saying something.

- I'm a little disturbed that Talyn seemingly has no compunction over spacing someone he doesn't like. With the way he treated John in this episode, and with the fact that Talyn can take control over Crais in a similar manner to Crais's control over Talyn, and with Talyn's general belligerent nature due to being a gunship, I'm started to expect that Talyn will start careening out of control pretty soon.

- I know these last several episode entries have been rather spartan, but sometimes I just don't know what to say even when I'm enjoying an episode. As for this one, it was a fun, good episode, and I particularly liked finally having a chance to see more of Talyn's interiors beyond the command.

Losing Time

- It was neat to see Moya's starburst chamber and seeing more of Scorpy's continued efforts to unlock the wormhole knowledge from the chip was interesting (particularly that Crichton's imprint on the chip seems able to resist Scorpy's data-sifting), but overall I didn't care much for this episode. It's not necessarily a bad episode, but it never quite grabbed me. I found the alien possessing Chiana difficult to understand during most of its scenes. Still, I have to give props to the writers for still finding new ways to play on the "influenced by an outside source" trope that I've commented on in previous episodes.

Relativity
- Although it's good to see Crichton & Aeryn finally "together," I imagine this will cause big problems if/when the two Crichtons end up on the same ship again.

- As a follow-up to my question from "Losing Time," the Talyn-Crichton has a Harvey. I'll be interested to see if Moya-Crichton does as well.

- Even though it was a failed effort, I was impressed by Rygel's attempt to attack Xhalax from his ThroneSled. For someone who typically chooses "flight" instead of "fight," he didn't hesitate at all after Aeryn and Stark had been knocked out.

- Lots of emotional turmoil in this episode, handled quite well by Claudia Black. I didn't expect Aeryn's reunion with Xhalax to be a happy one, of course, but I still have to feel sorry for her that her only memory of her mother was corrupted by Xhalax's admission that she killed Talyn to keep her position in the PKs. As for Xhalax's "death," I don't think she is dead - after all, we didn't see a body. I'd prefer to think that Crais wouldn't have attempted to strike some sort of deal with her, but there was more time between Aeryn & Crichton walking away and the pulse rifle blasts than I think was necessary, time enough for a quick chat between Crais and Xhalax.
Those are very astute questions. Can't answer any of them without spoiling, though, but I will say you will get an answer.

Yeah, Rygel ends up coming off rather well this season. You'll have quite a bit more respect for the little guy by the end of this season.

The episode structure gets a bit varied this season, since we basically bounce back and forth between Moya-episodes and Talyn episodes... The Talyn ones tend to be a lot more dark and straight space opera-ey, while most of your lighter, 'classic' (as in more like Season 1-2 Farscape), and experimental episodes tend to be the Moya ones. People tend to have a preference for one or the other, which can get frustrating when you have to wait for alternating episodes to get to your favorite group (at least until they reintegrate later on). Personally, I prefer the Moya eps, since they tend to be more fun. The Talyn episodes are certainly compelling and interesting, but the heaviness of them can be a bit wearying for me after a while... not to mention the Talyn episodes contain the absolutely excreable 'Meltdown', the only episode I personally can't stand to re-watch (which is too bad because there's definitely a few things in it worth seeing, if you know what I mean... the rest of it's just THAT bad).
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 06:45 AM   #142
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Punk indeed.
You live in the UK right? Because I'm already several episodes into season 2.
Worse, Japan.

So sorry...

Punk indeed.
Touché.

You have no idea.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 07:01 AM   #143
RoJoHen
Awesome

label wrote: View Post
At that rate your going to pass him up and be in the same boat you were before you started while he finished up the series.
Yeah, I know. I'll probably slow down in a bit, though. That was just a good way to jumpstart my rewatch.

Currently on "A Human Reaction."
Old January 18 2011, 08:29 AM   #144
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I've been caught up with this thread to the point where I've been watching Farscape lately (Doing a Farscape and TNG rewatch simultaneously). Tonight I saw That Old Black Magic, one of the better episodes of Season 1. Always fun to see Chrichton and Crais go at it.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 08:33 AM   #145
RoJoHen
Awesome

I almost wish Maldis had become a bigger villain over the course of the series. He had some interesting potential, but he definitely wouldn't have made any sense in Season 3 or 4, especially without Zhaan around.

There is one episode in Season 4, though (I believe it's "John Quixote") where a bunch of crazy shit is going on and somebody asks who is responsible, and Crichton says under his breath: "With our luck? Maldis."

I love the little things that the show remembers about itself.
Old January 18 2011, 08:36 AM   #146
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Farscape did pretty well when it came to internal continuity. That is something I will look out for on this rewatch as I can't remember any other of those small bits.

As for Maldis, I'm not sure what else they could have done with him, especially with Scorpius being introduced. Maybe one more episode but after that, he might have lost a bit of luster.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 05:29 PM   #147
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I just happened to watch the second episode with Maldis. He is nuts. This is such a fun show, too bad it never got a season 5. I love how the show has stand alone episodes that build unto itself.
Old January 19 2011, 12:18 AM   #148
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I just happened to watch the second episode with Maldis. He is nuts. This is such a fun show, too bad it never got a season 5. I love how the show has stand alone episodes that build unto itself.
Well, the thing that made Maldis work as a villain is that, until the introduction of Harvey, he was the only Farscape baddie that actually 'understood' John Chrichton's general brand of pop culture insanity and could throw it right back at him, by virtue of having literally been inside of his head... not in necessarily throwing the pop culture back at John, but by being completely unfazed by the delivery and being able to bring off a few cutting one-liners, which are usually John's weapon of choice...

As you say, this magical mystery crap's not your thing.
I don't have a moustache, John!
By Season 3, though, we have Harvey, who served much of the same function, and had the benefit of being able to lob the pop culture grenades just as deftly as John himself... by that point, and with Zhann being dead, Maldis really didn't have a narrative niche to fill anymore...
Old January 19 2011, 03:10 AM   #149
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

label wrote: View Post
Now, wouldn't that be amusing?

Incubator
- This really does seem like an ambitious season so far. We've got the crew split between Talyn and Moya, each with their own Crichton, and the show takes the time to follow Scorpy's activities, with a third Crichton! (even if he doesn't have a body)

- Along those ambitious lines Head-Crichton is an ingenious method for delving into Scorpy's personal history. It's one horrific history, too. The willingness of the PKs to take in Scorpy, considering what we know about PK feelings towards interspecies coupling (D'Argo, LoLaan, and Jothee, for example), also paints that organization in a different light than we normally see.

- Moya & Pilot don't disregard the crew's wishes often, and rarely in matters not related to Talyn, but I do appreciate those moments where the pair does, reminding the audience that Moya is a living creature with her own mind and opinions.

- Good episode. It was very interesting to see Scorpy's backstory played out. Considering how much of it was spent on Scorpy's ship, as opposed to Moya, I assume that means Scorpy will probably be used sparingly now until "big" episodes hit.

Meltdown
- I really liked the way the apparent flashback ended, with Crais "breaking out" of the flashback and addressing Crichton directly from within it. Nice little bit of editing and presentation there.

- This episode rather sucked. I really don't want to spend any more time thinking about it.

10 episodes to go until season four...
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 06:25 AM   #150
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

- This episode rather sucked. I really don't want to spend any more time thinking about it.

10 episodes to go until season four...
Yep, warned you... no worries, I think we can all agree that this is the last 'bad' episode of the series. From here on out, they're pretty solid. Of course, there are some iffy ones (especially some of the initial offerings in Season 4), but 'Meltdown' is the only one that I would call outright awful, if for no other reason that the completely bizarre bit with Stark in Talyn's Pilot set, which Talyn isn't supposed to have to begin with...

*grumble*