Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 21 2010, 05:16 PM   #16
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile
Re: New Catalog covers and info- cover/info not final

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
James I didn't know you had written a book on David Fincher. He's one of my favorite directors working right now.
That was a good few years ago, and Dark Eye: The Films of David Fincher is quite a bit out of date now (it only covers up to Panic Room). That said, I'm quite proud of that book, and indeed, Fincher is a very interesting subject.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
And it's an excellent book too - shame the publisher has gone... (It's about eight inches from my left hand where I'm sitting...)
Thanks, Dave. As for the publisher being gone, that's true - but their back-catalog has just been bought up by another publisher, so maybe it might see light of day again. I'd love to do a new edition...
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 05:23 PM   #17
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
I was just checking and the early descriptions and covers are up for Voyager: Children of the Storm, Vanguard: Declassified, and TOS: A Choice of Catastrophes and Cast No Shadow have been added to the S&S catalog.
Christopher wrote: View Post
I think it's already been stated that the blurb given for Declassified is incorrect; the stories described there are placeholder ideas proposed early in the process, and the actual stories they settled on are different. As for the cover, I assume the other authors' names will be added, and I bet that digital model of the Enterprise is a placeholder for another Connie.
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
I seem to remember David Mack saying as much about a blurb for Declassified was incorrect.

Is there any chance Misters Ward or Mack could comment either way though or somewhen else who is actually involved in Declassified.
I can confirm that absolutely everything on the S&S digital catalog page for Declassified is completely wrong: the incomplete author list at the top, the cover art, the description. They even call it a novel when it's actually an anthology of four novellas. Except for the fact that they associated my name with it as an author, they got nearly every detail wrong.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Reanok
Commodore

Are there Any updates for the new Enterrpise novel In Shariel's Jaws yet?I was hoping they'd have cover art or some type of Synopsis for the book come out.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 07:19 PM   #19
bfollowell
Commander

Reanok wrote: View Post
Are there Any updates for the new Enterrpise novel In Shariel's Jaws yet?I was hoping they'd have cover art or some type of Synopsis for the book come out.
It seems a little early for that one. Maybe I've got my dates mixed up but that one's not scheduled to be released for almost a whole other year; sometime in November or December 2011 if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't expect to see anything before summer but maybe we'll get lucky.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 09:29 PM   #20
Lonemagpie
Writer

James Swallow wrote: View Post
Thanks, Dave. As for the publisher being gone, that's true - but their back-catalog has just been bought up by another publisher, so maybe it might see light of day again. I'd love to do a new edition...
Is it by any chance Signum? That'd be logical to a great degree, being that it's owned by one half of the original publisher...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 09:43 PM   #21
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
This is the first I've seen of the A Choice of Catastrophes cover, and I quite like it.

As Christopher said, though, the blurb is pretty much a summation of the first paragraph or so of the outline, and it pretty much fails to mention any of the things that (I think) make the book interesting!

Well then I guess that means it'll be 10 times better than the description already sounds! lol
Old December 21 2010, 10:05 PM   #22
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't undermine me.
Gosh, I added the little devil icon and everything. I figured I'd get in with a pun before somebody else did.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 10:20 PM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Christopher doesn't have a sense of humor apparently.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 10:42 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

It's just that hearing memento pronounced "momento" is a pet peeve of mine. It really grates on me, and it's rooted in the completely wrong assumption that the word is somehow related to "moment." It isn't. Not even slightly. It's from the same root as memory, remember, etc. So making a joke based on the exact misconception I'm trying to correct just makes it harder to get that across. So no, I'm not inclined to be amused by that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 10:45 PM   #25
ares93
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Christopher doesn't have a sense of humor apparently.
It appears that this week, nobody does...

It's just that hearing memento pronounced "momento" is a pet peeve of mine. It really grates on me, and it's rooted in the completely wrong assumption that the word is somehow related to "moment." It isn't. Not even slightly. It's from the same root as memory, remember, etc. So making a joke based on the exact misconception I'm trying to correct just makes it harder to get that across. So no, I'm not inclined to be amused by that.
It was a typo, mate. No need to get all wound up about it.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 10:54 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Sorry, but like I said, it's a pet peeve.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 11:16 PM   #27
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

David Mack wrote: View Post
I was just checking and the early descriptions and covers are up for Voyager: Children of the Storm, Vanguard: Declassified, and TOS: A Choice of Catastrophes and Cast No Shadow have been added to the S&S catalog.
I think it's already been stated that the blurb given for Declassified is incorrect; the stories described there are placeholder ideas proposed early in the process, and the actual stories they settled on are different. As for the cover, I assume the other authors' names will be added, and I bet that digital model of the Enterprise is a placeholder for another Connie.
I seem to remember David Mack saying as much about a blurb for Declassified was incorrect.

Is there any chance Misters Ward or Mack could comment either way though or somewhen else who is actually involved in Declassified.
I can confirm that absolutely everything on the S&S digital catalog page for Declassified is completely wrong: the incomplete author list at the top, the cover art, the description. They even call it a novel when it's actually an anthology of four novellas. Except for the fact that they associated my name with it as an author, they got nearly every detail wrong.
In the spirit of the season I offer...

Blackadder:
"A Merry Messy Christmas." `Christmas' has an H in it, Mr Baldrick.

Baldrick:
Oh...

Blackadder:
...and an R. Also an I, and an S. Also T and M and A... ...and another S. Oh, and you've missed out the C at the beginning. Congratulations, Mr Baldrick! Something of a triumph, I think -- you must be the first person ever to spell `Christmas' without getting any of the letters right at all.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 11:17 PM   #28
JD
Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post

Sorry, about that. I couldn't remember if that was the same one that was posted before. So I decided to post it just in case it wasn't, guess I should have gone with my gut and not posted it.

I'm really, really excited for all four of these. I've enjoyed stories by all of these authors in the past, and they all focus on topics or characters I'm interested in.
Old December 21 2010, 11:34 PM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I will say that out of the four books listed there "A Choice of Catastrophes" and "Cast No Shadow" interest me the most.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 12:20 AM   #30
Lonemagpie
Writer

Sorry, but like I said, it's a pet peeve.
"Emporer" is mine...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote