Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 6 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
star trek the original series relaunch

i need to know if this is the correct reading order for the new reluanch of kirk's era books.

1) the janus gate trilogy
2) errand of vengence trilogy
3) gemini
4) garth of izar
5) the case ofthe colonist corpse
6) engines of destiny
7) errand of fury trilogy
8) burning dreams
9) constellations anthologies
10) crucible trilogy
11) excelsior : forged in fire
12) troublesome minds
13) inception
14) unspoken truth
15) the children of kings
16) a choice of catastrophes forthcoming**
17) castno shadow forthcoming**

is this the correct reading order or am i missing something.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: star trek the original series relaunch

There is no TOS relaunch. Those are all standalone novels/trilogies, without any connections.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 06:42 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Defcon wrote: View Post
There is no TOS relaunch. Those are all standalone novels/trilogies, without any connections.
If I remember correctly, The Janus Gate trilogy was suppose to be a 'relaunch' of sorts for The Original Series literature... but it seemed to fizzle out pretty quick.
Old January 6 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
timothy
Rear Admiral

so is it all open ended or is there a timeline?
Old January 6 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, The Janus Gate trilogy was suppose to be a 'relaunch' of sorts for The Original Series literature... but it seemed to fizzle out pretty quick.
IIRC It was supposed to show the TOS era from the perspective of lower deck personell, and thus was called some kind of reboot by ORdover IIRC, but I don't think it was ever planned to be an ongoing narrative.

@timothy:

There are timelines who list the books chronologically (and I'm sure someone will be along to post a link to one eventually), but as I said the books are not connected, so in the end it doesn't really matter if you read them in order.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 06:59 PM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The modern TOS novels are all stand alones. In the 80's, TOS novels by Diane Duane, J.M. Dillard and one or two others had a loose continuity and recurring characters, although there were no big story arcs like nowadays.
Old January 6 2011, 07:31 PM   #7
timothy
Rear Admiral

so what about the vanguard series or tng universe?
Old January 6 2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

timothy wrote: View Post
i need to know if this is the correct reading order for the new reluanch of kirk's era books.

1) the janus gate trilogy
2) errand of vengence trilogy
3) gemini
4) garth of izar
5) the case ofthe colonist corpse
6) engines of destiny
7) errand of fury trilogy
8) burning dreams
9) constellations anthologies
10) crucible trilogy
11) excelsior : forged in fire
12) troublesome minds
13) inception
14) unspoken truth
15) the children of kings
16) a choice of catastrophes forthcoming**
17) castno shadow forthcoming**

is this the correct reading order or am i missing something.
As stated, most of those are completely independent of one another. The only ones that are directly connected to one another are the two Errand of... trilogies.

There's no necessary reading order, since they're separate standalones, but to give a rough idea of when they each take place, in very rough chronological order where applicable:

The Children of Kings: Takes place sometime during Pike's command, evidently before "The Cage." However, it's not exactly in the standard Trek timeline.

Inception: Takes place in 2261, when Spock first meets Leila Kalomi and Kirk is involved with Carol Marcus.

Constellations: Various stories taking place throughout the 5-year mission.

The Janus Gate: takes place in the early first season, immediately after "The Naked Time."

Errand of Vengeance/Fury: takes place interspersed with much of the first season, serving as prequels to "Errand of Mercy," as the titles suggest.

Gemini: evidently second season, since it refers to "Amok Time" as somewhat recent.

The Case of the Colonist's Corpse: Second season, concurrent with "The Trouble with Tribbles." This is basically a Perry Mason mystery starring Samuel T. Cogley in Mason's role.

A Choice of Catastrophes: Reportedly in the second season, shortly after "Return to Tomorrow."

Garth of Izar: toward the end of the 5-year mission, allegedly 2 years after "Whom Gods Destroy."

Troublesome Minds: takes place late in the 5-year mission.

Unspoken Truth: spans years of Saavik's life, but the main storyline covers about a year following The Voyage Home.

Excelsior: Forged in Fire: Captain Sulu's first mission, starting in late 2289, three years before The Undiscovered Country.

Cast No Shadow: I don't know why this is listed as a TOS novel, since it's mainly a story about Valeris and novel character Elias Vaughn. It's set in 2300.

Engines of Destiny: Not a TOS-era novel at all, since it deals with Scotty in the 24th century going back in time to prevent Kirk's "death" aboard the Enterprise-B and thus changing history, and working with Guinan to fix the timeline. It basically goes in 2369, soon after TNG: "Relics."

These are harder to place in a timeline:

Burning Dreams: Essentially a biography of Christopher Pike, spanning his lifetime and having frame sequences both shortly after "The Menagerie" and decades later in 2320.

Crucible trilogy: Each book spans decades, covering events throughout the lives of McCoy, Spock, and Kirk, though they all pretty much use "City on the Edge of Forever" as their launching point.

BillJ wrote: View Post
IIRC It was supposed to show the TOS era from the perspective of lower deck personell, and thus was called some kind of reboot by ORdover IIRC, but I don't think it was ever planned to be an ongoing narrative.
It wasn't meant to be a "reboot" in the sense of replacing regular TOS novels, but it was meant to be ongoing, running parallel with the regular books. And it was the exact opposite of the post-series novels that are popularly called "relaunches," because it took place during TOS whereas the majority of TOS novels take place afterward. The idea was to bring a modern serial sensibility to TOS, to take the one-shot guest stars and casualties from TOS episodes and develop them as ongoing characters so that their onscreen appearances/demises would have more meaning.

But it didn't work out as planned. IIRC, the actual books ended up not being distinct enough from regular TOS books, the "lower decks" continuity element not as prominent as it was supposed to be, so the idea of continuing it as a distinct subset of TOS fiction was dropped.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 08:29 PM   #9
timothy
Rear Admiral

wow cool thanks for the info. so where does the vanguard series fit in and should i get into these new books. cause I read up to the empty chair and took a break and then I had a robery from a room mate while I was on vaction so I am rebuilding everything ground up.
Old January 6 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Dang, sorry about the robbery. As for Vanguard, it's a series that runs concurrently with TOS but focuses on a different cast, although a lot of the stuff that happens in Vanguard foreshadows or elaborates on events in TOS. The first book guest-stars the Enterprise crew as they're returning from the edge of the galaxy following the second pilot. The second and third books are set between the second pilot and the first season, the fourth book spans most of the first season, and the fifth book spans about a year after that, covering parts of the first and second seasons.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Jakks
Lieutenant Commander

wow cool thanks for the info. so where does the vanguard series fit in and should i get into these new books. cause I read up to the empty chair and took a break and then I had a robery from a room mate while I was on vaction so I am rebuilding everything ground up.

Vanguard is some of the best TOS era I've read. You just have to like the fact it's a completely original crew. Also, events in Vanguard are mentioned in the current TNG books (as past events) so it's connected canonically.
Old January 6 2011, 09:37 PM   #12
timothy
Rear Admiral

thanks , I am slowly rebuilding my library. so far i started with enterprise relaunch and was wondering were to go from there vanguard seems fun so should I mess with these new books or go onto the next generation time line?
Old January 6 2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Jakks
Lieutenant Commander

thanks , I am slowly rebuilding my library. so far i started with enterprise relaunch and was wondering were to go from there vanguard seems fun so should I mess with these new books or go onto the next generation time line?

Up to you really, Vanguard of course takes place about 118 years before the current TNG storyline's.

I've recently just got back into reading Star Trek after stopping in the mid '90s. I started with the five Vanguard books ('cause the covers looked so damn cool,) then, after coming in here and poking around and asking the same questions you are...read the TNG Destiny Trilogy then TNG Losing the Peace and A Singular Destiny which has pretty much got me up to speed on what's going on.

From there you can go with the Typhon Pact books, the Titan Series, Voyager...etc, etc.

For myself am going back and going to start reading KRAD's Klingon Empire books as well as stuff like Articles of the Federation, Greater Than The Sum, and so on then come back to Voyager and The Typhon Pact.
Old January 6 2011, 10:14 PM   #14
timothy
Rear Admiral

do i jump into the destiny or back track on ds9 , tng , voy s.c.e , new frontier and what about the titan series?
Old January 6 2011, 10:28 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I read the first two Titan books, to meet Riker's crew, before reading Destiny.