Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 15 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
TerokNor
Captain

Tora Ziyal (names)

Did you ever notice were the name Tora (Ziyal) might come from?
I somehow just noticed it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah

I have seen it written Tora, Thora and Torah (like on the Wiki-page), but that could be were they have the name from, couldn´t it?

Where do the other names come from? Like Dukat, Damar, Garak...
just made up in a creative moment or are there also connection to specific things?

TerokNor

I support PLAN. http://plan-international.org/
TerokNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Vinkula
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Tora Ziyal (names)

I think they come from the peoples minds, who make the show
Old December 15 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

^ Agreed.

Most of names are created for the show(s) and I seriously doubt that the writers were looking for any meaning. Maybe sometimes but not for each and every character, especially recurring ones.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Vinkula
Lieutenant Commander

^ I think some of the names really has a meaning XD
In DS9 there was a character named "Tahna" and "tahna" is a finnish word for paste/dough/compound! It made me really "LOL"
Old December 15 2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

They might have a meaning, either intended or accidental, but I doubt that the writers think of this aspect every time they make a name for an alien.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Old December 15 2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Putting a random apostrophe in makes it alien. Putting apostrophes and random capitals in makes it Klingon.
Old December 15 2010, 04:29 PM   #7
The_Baron
Commander

Wouldn't make sense to deliberatley apply meaning to alien names. They're not from Earth, so why would they have names that relate to Earth mythology and so on.

Might as well just give them all human names.

I'd want at least one "Dave".
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ How about General CHANG from ST VI?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

He was a Chinese spy in the Klingon Empire

Old December 15 2010, 05:14 PM   #10
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I'm sure the UT would render a suitably appropriate translation of any alien name.

But it would be something to have an alien with an "alien" name that just so happens to sound like an existing word in (Earth) language.

"Hello, my name is Ch'air and this is my associate, Treee."

But that never happens, do it??
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The_Baron wrote: View Post
Wouldn't make sense to deliberatley apply meaning to alien names. They're not from Earth, so why would they have names that relate to Earth mythology and so on.

But they do: Spock (Dutch), Kira (Gaelic/Russian/Japanese) Nerys (Welsh), Jadzia(Polish), Ezri (Hebrew), Dax (French), Deanna (English) Hell, there are even people with the name Worf and Odo is a saint!

Of course these aren't real aliens and the writers are picking these names for various reasons. It might not go any deeper than its sounds good or they might be trying to convey something about the characters through them.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2010, 10:51 AM   #12
The_Baron
Commander

No North Pole Penquins wrote: View Post
The_Baron wrote: View Post

But they do: Spock (Dutch), Kira (Gaelic/Russian/Japanese) Nerys (Welsh), Jadzia(Polish), Ezri (Hebrew), Dax (French), Deanna (English) Hell, there are even people with the name Worf and Odo is a saint!

Of course these aren't real aliens and the writers are picking these names for various reasons. It might not go any deeper than its sounds good or they might be trying to convey something about the characters through them.
Ah, but Deanna has a human father. That could be why she has an English name.

Although, I doubt that's the case with Spock.
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

When the TNG episode, "A Matter of Honor", premiered, and we saw poor ol' Riker cope with the live food on a clunky, old Klingon vessel, we didn't know how to spell IKS Pagh, but when we checked some "p" words in the official Pocket Books' "Klingon Dictionary", the closest Klingon word meant "indigestion".

TOS famously used some clever names: Uhura (feminine form of the Swahili word for "freedom"), mindwiped Lethe, after the "river of forgetfulness", Harry Mudd (whose name was "mud"), a librarian called Atoz (A to Z), Crewman Green who was a rather "green" crewman, and Helen Noel, whom Kirk met at a Christmas party.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2010, 02:24 PM   #14
TerokNor
Captain

Jups, that what I mean. They do choose character names for qualities of the characters or also meanings to earth history and such.
Of course "true aliens" would not have that, however as these aliens are human-made, construted out of what humans know for their realitis, there are connections to human meanings.
Thats after all what the whole show is about, playing with questions we have on earth today, be it ethical, historical, hierachical, personal etc.
There is no alien contruct inside, because human minds though of the show and not alien minds.
Maybe some names are here that just got made-up for no other reason then to sound alien or cool, but I do think that with a lot of the names the authors did had something in mind when giving the names to the characters.
Jadzia for example means fighter...and we do have with her a character, that is strong and fighting back and not giving up so easily. The authors transport meanings in the names they choose and I think especially for recurring characters that could be important,because they do not have all the time like they have for the main charaters to get the personalities etc. across, so a name, that already gives away a bit of the character might be important.

TerokNor

P.S. Damara for example means the loving and the "da" part of the name comes in other names from the word "dati" with means giving...of course this is probbaly a bit far stretched, but well...he did love Cardassia a lot and Dukat also, which is to see, because of the loyality he gives to them.

I support PLAN. http://plan-international.org/

Last edited by TerokNor; December 16 2010 at 02:37 PM.
TerokNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 03:42 AM   #15
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Clearly, sometimes the naming is intentional. Nero of Romulus?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote