Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?
Excellent! It should be permanently installed! 63 32.31%
Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive 89 45.64%
Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982. 29 14.87%
Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place 12 6.15%
Should be immediately de-resed!!! 2 1.03%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18 2010, 01:40 AM   #31
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

As a kid, I could recite the original movie line by line--had the action figures, the novelization, the storybook, etc. So I went into Tron: Legacy with a bit more excitement than I would for most sequels.

And I was not disappointed. I actually was grinning from ear to ear at times. Not only was it visually stunning, there were plenty of easter eggs and nods towards the original film of things. It was done in such a way that even if you hadn't seen the original, it wouldn't be truly necessary, but it would give someone unfamiliar with it an incentive to see how the story all began. I'll echo the sentiment that it was great seeing Bruce Boxleitner in a key role in the movie as well as see Jeff Bridge's Kevin Flynn character evolve full force into traits only hinted at in the original. And yes, the ladies in Tron: Legacy were upgraded into sexy cyber eye-candy, but Olivia Wilde's Quorra managed to be both cute and kick ass at key moments. I found myself liking Garrett Hedlund's Sam Flynn as a nice mix between Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.

I saw it in 2D in a local neighborhood theatre for 5 bucks, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie at all. It's not a perfect movie, but I definitely rate it somewhere between good and excellent.

One final note--there's one scene in which Sam powers up his dad's old videogame arcade and a song from Journey blasts from the jukebox. I nearly cried from the nostalgia...
Old December 18 2010, 01:48 AM   #32
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ The only thing missing were five guys playing "air" guitars, synths, drums, etc.

Personally, I thought this was a very good film. Loved all the 80s references, of course. And I think having seen the original helps with this one. But don't let anyone tell you that Legacy was "hollow" or empty or style over substance. There's plenty of substance to the story. And while it's not deep on a Philosophy 101 level, it's still a meaningful story, filled with plenty of symbolism and mythic concepts. It's not a perfect film, either. It's a lot slower than I thought it would be. But it's very entertaining.

Oh, and this film proves to me that 3D is a waste of time for a live-action movie. What does it say when Tron: Legacy deliberately presents the "real world" in 2D and saves the 3D gimmick for the simulated Grid? Clearly the "real world" is more "realistic" in 2D than 3D.
Old December 18 2010, 01:58 AM   #33
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

That felt like an 80's movie with 2010 technology. I don't mean that as a bad thing, on the contrary, it's actually a compliment. I had just seen the original Tron for the first time in a long time, and the scene just mentioned when the Arcade lit up was one of those great moments purely from a nostalgia stand point. Also, because I was familer with the original, the look of the film felt retro while keeping up with 2010 sentimentality. Also, that soundtrack was great, and added to that extra 80s feeling that I felt.

As for the movie itself, I went to the 3D showing, and while the visual effects are great, I didn't think the 3D really added anything. Heck, there were times when I even took the glasses off and still enjoyed what I saw (They even say at the beginning, it was intended to be shot in 2D). Still, the effects were awesome, from the light cycle scene to the suits, and the atmosphere of the grid.

Also really liked the characters, and thought the story was well done too. It's nothing earth shattering, and we've seen this story before, but I felt they handled it in a way where it respected the original film, but stayed true to this film, a film about Legacy and what that word means. I liked seeing Bridges in the duel role, and Wilde and the guy who played Sam was great too.

I think my only criticism of the film was some of the dialog was cheesy and there were some scenes where I was like "They took that out of Star Wars and The Matrix." For example, there was a scene where they were flying above the grid and Sam took the controls to fight the other jets. Everything about that scene screamed Star Wars and Luke and Chewie battling the tie fighters. As for the Matrix, a lot of movies have taken effects from the Matrix so that's really nothing new.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and recommend it. It's nice to see a Sci Fi film that isn't based on a comic book or has Zombies in it. Hell, I kept thinking after I left how I long for the days of another movie like Star Wars. I'm not saying remaking, but just a space based adventure movie. I really miss those.
Old December 18 2010, 03:20 AM   #34
stj
Rear Admiral

Quite good.

CGI Flynn is not cartoonish. It's not quite photorealistic which is why there is very little footage of the living Kevin Flynn. His face in the early scenes is hidden as much as possible. There are only seconds where a young but human Kevin Flynn is supposed to be on screen. But the few Grid scenes and all the CLU scenes the slight imperfections are fitting. Actually, young Boxleitner wasn't nearly as good.
The set designs and costumes and effects fit with the first movie but are beautifully updated. The movie is spectacular. And the action scenes are not dragged out or so pervasive as to be as dull as they get in, say, a Christopher Nolan or Michael Bay movie.

The story is much stronger than the first movie. The father/son thing is done rather well, emotional but not melodramatic, much less mawkish. The awkwardness, the inevitable distance after so much youth lost were nicely captured. As was Flynn's irritation as how Junior screwed up. The repetition of Kevin Flynn's inspirational dialogue by CLU was darkly funny and insightful. Senior Flynn really would be a Big Lebowski. Doing the expected thing instead of an illogical "surprise" is a writing ploy too often left unused. Michael Sheen does a remarkably lively turn as David Bowie.

Nonetheless, the script suffered from too many cooks. Sam is introduced as borderline psycho, which wasn't charming in the recent Star Trek abomination either. Tron's reappearance was predictable but seriously supposed to be a surprise. Tron's "I fight for the users!" re-conversion to the light side was probably an inspiring climax in one of the drafts but poorly fit in this one, especially since Tron promptly splashes (on the pavement) for the users. Any motivation for it got left out somewhere along the way. Most of all, it is not at all clear exactly what CLU would do to the world if he got out of the Grid. That reduces his escape to a MacGuffin. Which is not a Good Thing. It's hard to write a simple physical conflict when you're not sure what's at stake.

The sound track is basically horrible. The electronic sound and the eighties style of some of it is appropriate and effective. But far, far too much is that Hans Zimmer crap where a single theme (or just a progression of chords!) is repeated, over and over, louder and louder. It builds tension all. But, then, rhythmically hitting someone in the head with a hammer would build suspense about the next blow, too. At one point I was writhing in agony.

The vague notion that children are perfection neglected by assholes is too childish to care much about. So, we're not talking about an Avatar here. But it is a fine effort, spectacular visuals with an actual story, even a few cursory efforts at thinking. What's not to like? Besides, the sound track.

Last edited by stj; December 18 2010 at 12:40 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 03:41 AM   #35
Chick_McGeester
Lieutenant

Can someone explain how Flynn is trapped in the Grid when he made it out at the end of the first film?
Chick_McGeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 03:58 AM   #36
Kaijima
Captain

Chick_McGeester wrote: View Post
Can someone explain how Flynn is trapped in the Grid when he made it out at the end of the first film?
Well, that's a spoiler, but:

Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 04:11 AM   #37
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Chick_McGeester wrote: View Post
Clu cut off his access to the portal, and once the beam shut off...he was trapped. The beam had to be activated from the real world. As Flynn says: "it's like a safe, it has to be opened from the outside".

I loved the movie, and the soundtrack rocked. Visually, one of my favorite movies, alongside the original Tron. I just love the world they presented in this movie.

Spoilers below....

loved the many easter eggs. Even said "Now that's a big door" before Sam said it in the movie.

My only real nit was the handling of Tron himself. Was happy he was in the movie and got to kick ass in a flashback. Liked that he helped out in the end.

His re-conversion was too quick, and I expected it as a fan of the original. What must someone who hadn't seen the original think?

Secondly, while I didn't have a problem with the size of the role or his place in the story....I really would've liked to see an unmasked Tron beat the shit out fo Clu at the end. Yeah, I know we had CGI Flynn, but CGI Alan would've been there just long enough to beat Clu and he could've suffered the same fate. You'd only have needed a few close up's...not many. It just felt like we didn't truly get Tron because of the helmet.

There was a certain "cheapness" to the helmet. Plus, if you noticed, when he fell into the water, his color returned to blue. I have no doubt that Tron is still alive....and that he'll be recast as well for future flicks. They'll probably say he was "rebooted" or something and that's why he looks different....if they even say it at all.
Old December 18 2010, 04:17 AM   #38
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Olivia Wilde has me in the theater no matter what.
Old December 18 2010, 05:32 AM   #39
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I haven't had a chance to see it yet (but I hope to next week), but after reading Joy's description I might just move to Missouri and see it there. I'm excited though, cause I've been itching to see T:L since I saw the trailer when I went to see Inception.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 05:58 AM   #40
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and it had much more depth and levels than a lot of the critic reviews I've read let on. I saw about three parallel stories running in the movie:

1. The "father/son" story
2. The "Clu's plot" story
3. Encom's potential direction for the future

I also saw a lot of room for stuff that could be easily tackled in a scifi novel, but just wouldn't suit a big screen movie with Light Cycles and action in it.

I do feel there were a couple missed opportunities. I would have liked to have seen the Light Runner and Flynn's Light Cycle do more and the one "off screen" action scene really could and should have been on screen.

The "de-aging" effects were not perfect, but there were scenes where I genuinely feel it was 95% right. Others felt more like 75% successful. It was FAR better than the one in X-Men, which just looked bizarre.

Daft Punk's soundtrack was already enjoyable when I bought it last week, but hearing it in the context of the movie was amazing.

And yay to all the nods to the original. Seeing "the door" and hearing other little phrases from the first movie was pure win.

I'm definitely going to see it a couple more times. I thoroughly enjoyed it and want to see this movie on the big screen as much as I can before it leaves theaters. I felt the same way about Trek last year.
Old December 18 2010, 06:09 AM   #41
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I just got back from it and I really enjoyed it. Given the very mixed critical reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. But this once again proves the critics aren't always right. Legacy is much better than the original Tron although it didn't have to do much to accomplish that. Much better story and stronger character as well.

-The world of the grid is awesome and is brought to life with today's CGI. Just exploring it was worth the money.

-The games, particulary Sam's initial duel are fantastically done. CGI has enhanced the action.

-Absolutely loved the soundtrack. Had a total 80s vibe to it and fit in well today.

-De-agining might become the wave of the future in movies. The work done on Jeff Bridges was nothing short of incredible. It's not 100%, you can still see it's a little off. But it's a giant leap forward and it totally works for the movie. Very good work done by Bridges in both roles.

-Recognized a few familiar faces. He has no lines and is in like two shots but Donnelly "Doc Cottle" Rhodes can be seen as Sam's grandfather. Also, Jeffrey Nording, the guy who played Larry Moss on Season 7 of 24, is in it briefly as the Encom CEO.

-Seeing the backstory was pretty cool. I also read the Tron Betrayel comic. It was very good and I would recommend it to anyone who has seen the film or is going to see the film. It really gives a lot of background into what is going on.

-Olivia Wilde is lovely and her character is a lot of fun.

It did have some flaws though...

-Garrett Hedlund is passable but the character is relatively dull and one-note. Either a better actor or script would have fixed that role.

-The movie hits a slow stretch towards the end. The running time could have been trimmed a little.

-I saw it in 3D and I have to say I was unimpressed with those elements. It wasn't like Avatar, where you felt immersed in the film. It just wasn't that good and the 3D trailers they showed before the film were more convincing. Did they really shoot those scenes in 3D or did they just convert them at a later date.

Complaints aside, I really enjoyed this film. It's fun and a blast from the past.

EDIT: I agree with you, God Magnus that that action scene towards the end should have been shown on-screen.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 06:18 AM   #42
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
EDIT: I agree with you, God Magnus that that action scene towards the end should have been shown on-screen.
Yeah, and they still could have showed the "other" part of the scene in the same sequence by cutting back and forth. For me this was one of the weakest parts of the film, but it's still overall super fun.
Old December 18 2010, 06:59 AM   #43
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Speaking of that boardroom scene...

DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 07:23 AM   #44
Kaijima
Captain

For those who have seen it, a sorta kinda spoilery note about Encom's future in a possible Tron 3, from the extended universe of the comic and the various games, and the AR games, all of which are canon.

(Trivia note: Disney contracted Starlight Runner, a whimsically named firm that handles organizing fictional license materials, to work out a full timeline for the Tron universe and keep the various storylines generally in synch.)

Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2010, 08:03 AM   #45
Agent Richard07
Admiral

More points...

- About Cillian Murphy... I thought that was him, but couldn't confirm it until I got home. And yeah, I read about his possible involvement in a third Tron movie as well.

- The story is growing on me a little more and I like the characters.

- I agree that it would have been nice to see Tron with his helmet off. I was waiting for that to happen as well. At least we did get to see Bruce in the part earlier though, even if it was brief.

- The more I think about Olivia Wilde's character Quorra, the more I like her. She has that badass/skilled fighter quality, but at the same time has a certain innocence. They gave her just the right amount of each.

- Sam Flynn isn't too cocky, which is refreshing for a young heroic lead of his sort.

Dac wrote: View Post
Spoilers ahead...

The whole idea of a real flesh and blood person being disintegrated by a laser, put into a computer program, then reconstituted as flesh and blood back in the real world seems a bit much already, not to mention dangerous. Now even in that context, how could a "digital person" like Quorra make it into the real world? I figured that she at least had DNA, so that made it easier to become a real person. The real question is how could the same thing happen to a program like Clu? Unlike ISOs, programs are just programs, aren't they?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote